Hello Marvel Universe, Goodbye Marvel Legends, it was fun while it lasted.
Well I fear the end of Marvel Legends is almost here. Even though I’ve heard from a few industry insiders that Hasbro is still gonna support ML, I think the end is near. Here are the signs:
- Hasbro is pushing their 3 3/4" MU line. Not only MU, but they are moving all their lines in this direction. Joe, Star Wars and Indy are all already 3 3/4"
– Marvel Legends – Nemesis Wave – I hear this wave is about to hit Walmart now, but it’s taken FOREVER to get to the shelves.
– Marvel Legends have gone exclusive : Walmart, Target and now Diamond and TRU. The good thing is that these seem to be selling well for them, so maybe we’ll see more in the future.
– The rest of the figures from the Wizard Marvel Legends poll never saw the light of day. I want the rest of Alpha Flight!!!
- What ever happened to the rest of the Hulk wave that never made it, like Red King and Valkyrie. Thanks to Spy Magician I have Valkyrie prototype, so I know it was tooled.
So what does the future hold for this line? Well I think we’ll see a few more exclusives down the road, but it’s really only a matter of time before it’s over. I think when the MU line hits most folks will move in that direction because of price point and scale. It would be nice for Diamond to pick up this line, but I just don’t see it happening. They should at least move their Marvel Select line down to this scale and attract the ML audience. Now there is the small chance that Hasbro Toy Shop (HTS) could do a small run of collectible exclusives, sort of like Mattel is doing with He-Man, but I don’t see that happening either. HTS tried this with their Sunfire figure and I don’t think those sold as well as they we hoping. Plus they could have tested the waters on this type of thing with their last unreleased Indy line, but that never happened either. It’s just not in Hasbro’s game plan at this point. So ultimately these factors will cause ML to die a slow death.
Now is that a bad thing. No, not at all. ML had a GREAT run. It was full of fantastic character selections. I can only think of a few figures that I really wanted that didn’t make it to the shelves (again I want the rest of Alpha Flight!!). Plus it’s not like Hasbro is leaving us with nothing. Hasbro created MU to fill that void and relaunch their brand and from what I’ve seen so far they’re doing a fantastic job right out of the gate. Hasbro didn’t hand us some crappy figures in the 1st few waves, like Mattel did with Infinite Heroes. They perfected the 3 3/4" articulation on Star Wars and GI Joe, then transitioned it onto their MU line. Also Hasbro’s new movie lines, such as Wolverine have figures that are both movie and comic accurate. This is a brilliant strategy on their part and will lead to more comic accurate figures on the shelves.
Will Marvel Universe overtake Marvel Legends and become the dominate Marvel action figure line? Only time will tell.
Until next time.
*photo provided by RTM, remember how it all began HERE