DC Direct is Alive and Well
February 4, 2011

Over at DC Comics .com , in their blog today, we got the news we’ve been waiting for.  More DC Direct action figures are on their way.  Fans have been concerned and rumors of the line’s demise have been swirling since the last round of DC comic book solicitations came out without any DC figures shown.  This was the first time in years that has happened.  Without more waiting, here is the next batch of figures from DC Direct!

My gut reactions
    Flash – I think DC Direct should have given us a wave of figures for Flash: Rebirth. I also felt it was odd that we got Blue Lantern Flash and were shown a White Lantern Flash when we had not gotten a basic RED Barry Allen Flash in a long time. This one looks good.
    Batman – I know it will sell, but I’m not taken by it.
    Wonder Woman – I just don’t feel this one. Maybe after I see the story it will have more of an impact.
    Cyborg – now this I like. Its just a really cool variant of a character we do not get many variants of. In fact, I think this is only the 2nd ever figure we’ve gotten of Cyborg (yes, there was the Gold version in the New Teen Titans boxed set, but that was just a repaint of the original Cyborg).

• erik says:

i really like that Cyborg figure.. it kind of looks like a DCD version of the cartoon Cyborg.

I kind of dig that Wonder Woman.

• red Ricky says:

Thanks for the wonderful news, SF. I guess I can now breath a sigh of relief. I mean… DC Direct (like all companies) have their issues; but after all is said and done, I love their sculpting and also find them to be reliable and readily available. As a result, I don’t ever want to see them fail. Besides, whether or not those figures are your cup of tea, nobody can deny that they look amazing. Plus, I can’t be the only one who is waiting for DC Direct to put the Christopher Reeve “inspired” headsculpt of Commander EL into a Superman buck. Nowadays, that’s the first thing I look for whenever I open the Previews Solicitation thingie.

pretty much echo everyone else’s sentiments.

• Leandro says:

Good news that DCD isn’t dead.
    Waiting for new History of the DC Universe figures.

• Tony C says:

Glad it’s not dead, and I hope they continue in this direction: focusing on storyline-specific characters, and established characters in alternate costumes. These are the types of figures that Mattel likely won’t produce and ship out to the big box stores. it seems to me that when DC Direct puts out an established character in the standard costume, folks only hang onto it until Mattel makes their DCUC version. These just-announced figures, along with the upcoming Batman Inc. line, are good examples of figures Matty won’t touch, but that collectors are going to want. Hope DCD is around for a long time!

• demoncat says:

love the look of cyborg though curious over why he will wind up filling the role of supes in flash point. flash just like all the other flash figures. bland for my taste. batman the red in the eyes are spooky. wonder woman love the look hope the helmet comes off. for she and cyborg will be the only flash point figures i will buy.

• Stevie says:

For me it’s all about articulation. If DC Direct get with the program and add what is now standard articulation joints I will buy their figures happily. Dc Direct often produce fantastic sculpts and as Tony C say’s produce characters which the like’s of Mattel probably won’t make. I was really excited by their “History of the Dc Universe” series but felt seriously let down when I saw the poor articulation. It’s time to enter the 21st century DC Direct up your game or disappear!

I hope you do the former, Mattel need competition!!

• Joey Jo says:

Wonderful. Another wave of batman, flash, and wonder woman toys. I think at this point it is safe to say we have entered the era of action figure repetition.
    God I mess the 90′s..

• Lightso says:

Are you kidding? The 90′s epitomized action figure repetition. Getting variants of the big guys is standard procedure, yes, but we would have never gotten a Killer Moth or Omac figure in the 90s.

• Joey Jo says:

@Lightso
        I was referring to the selection. Remember all the amazing and imaginative sculpts that came from McFarlane? Hell, even in 2000 we got the Stan Winston line. Today’s collectible figures are all about “man men”. How many variants of men/women in multi-colored suits do we need?

• Devin says:

There are still plenty of alternatives to “man men” out there if you look for them. This is a comic book toy line and in an age where action figure collecting is becoming more and more of a niche market you have to make concessions sometimes and make more of the popular characters. It’s nice to think that every character deserves more than one iteration of them but it just isn’t going to happen.

Honestly I don’t think there are enough Flash figures out there. Batman and Superman are pretty much guaranteed at least one figure in a line and sometimes up to three different figures in one wave. The Flash hardly gets this kind of exposure. We didn’t even get a set of toys for Flash: Rebirth, a story that was all about reinventing the looks of multiple characters.

• tasper says:

Whats the odd of these being delayed to over a year? Just sayin, with all the recent push backs of the Brightest Days and such.