Immersive Fan Panels, Hot Toy Exclusives and Celebratory Events Round out Confab Collector Experience
SAN DIEGO–(BUSINESS WIRE)-– Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ:MAT) brings San Diego Comic-Con (SDCC) fans the ultimate pop-culture, comic inspired celebration with exclusive toy collectibles, giveaways and fan-atic events at booth #3029. From the hottest classic brands to new entertainment collectibles, Mattel has something for every fanboy and fangirl.
“This year heralds significant milestones for Mattel as we commemorate our decade long presence at SDCC creating unique show exclusives. We take great pride in bringing forth the very best in detailed collectibles and fan events by utilizing our timeless brands,” said Doug Wadleigh, Senior Vice President, Global Brands Marketing, Mattel. “We also look forward to celebrating the 30th anniversary of our iconic action hero brand, Masters of the Universe at the show.”
A “Masterful” 30 Year Legacy:
What began as an “Eternian” action-hero property in the 1980s, Masters of the Universe® (MOTU), has grown into a robust franchise that has spanned three-decades. The MOTU brand has had six lines of action figures, four animated television series, several comic series and a feature film all of which have received fanfare around the world. SDCC patrons can ring in the MOTU anniversary at the Mattypalooza panel on Friday, July 13th with several top-secret reveals and an in-depth discussion on all things MOTU. To start the party right, MOTU SDCC exclusives include:
- Vykron™ Ultimate Eternian Champion™ — Part of the Masters of the Universe® Classics 30th anniversary line, Vykron™ is modeled after the very first He-Man® prototype pitched to Mattel executives in 1982. Own a piece of MOTU history with Vykron’s™ original three outfits: barbarian, spaceman, and military warrior.
- Hot Wheels® Masters of the Universe ® Volkswagen Drag Bus — Hot Wheels® honors the 30th anniversary of the Masters of the Universe® with this commemorative 1:18 scale Volkswagen Drag Bus. A super-sized version of one of the most popular Hot Wheels® vehicles, it features a chrome-plated die-cast body with Spectraflame® purple paint, silver VUM chassis and silver exposed engine gleaming beneath the tilt-up body, and a special “MOTU 30” license plate. The custom deco chronicles the epic battle between arch rivals He-Man® and Skeletor®, with window packaging on each side showing the two scenes.
With the ever-growing SDCC fangirl community, Mattel brings the hottest girl-power collectibles inspired by popular entertainment icons and femme fatales.
- Monster High® Scarah Screams™ Doll — Last July, fans voted for the next Monster High® character — online on Facebook, MonsterHigh.com and live at SDCC. It was a close vote between Headless Headmistress Bloodgood™, Scarah Screams™ and Daughter of Arachne. Scarah Screams™, daughter of the Banshee, won the fan vote and we are excited to have her dreadful debut at SDCC!
- Polly Pocket® DC Comics Villains Set — It’s a guaranteed adventure with this trio of comic-book character costumes for Polly® and her friends! Polly®, Lila® and Lea® dolls arrive in a themed 3-pack dressed as their favorite DC Comics villains: Catwoman, Poison Ivy, and Harley Quinn.
- DC Comics Vertigo™ Death — Some envision Death as a grim reaper or dark angel to be feared. But as created by Neil Gaiman for DC Entertainment’s Vertigo brand, the Sandman’s older sister is pretty, perky and always gets the job done! The 8-inch Death figure wears her trademark ankle necklace and comes with a skull-themed display base. The dioramic window box packaging feature artwork commissioned by Vertigo artist Jill Thompson.
- Ghostbusters™ Dana as Zuul — The long-awaited 6″ figure of Dana Barrett as Zuul from the first Ghostbusters™ features authentic, film-accurate sculpting right down to her golden gown.
Sought-after SDCC Exclusives:
With the best properties, designers and detailed toys in the industry, Mattel puts unparalleled passion into every collectible. Whether played out of package, displayed on shelf or given as a gift, Mattel gives collectors meticulously crafted toys that provide years of enjoyment.
- Hot Wheels® K.I.T.T. Knight Industries Two Thousand — Keep your scanners peeled and head straight to Hot Wheels® for the very special edition of K.I.T.T. coming to SDCC in celebration of the 30th anniversary of Knight Rider! The Knight Rider series originally aired from 1982 — 1986 on NBC. This 1:64 scale collector’s addition sits in an acrylic case nestled in distinctive Knight Industries packaging with scanner lights and three different iconic K.I.T.T. phrases.
- Hot Wheels® Scooby-Doo! ™ The Mystery Machine — Scooby, Shaggy, Velma, Fred and Daphne would never be the meddlesome kids they are today without their trusty ride. Making its official Hot Wheels® debut at 2012 San Diego Comic-Con with a die-cast body and awesome deco, it’s like, groovy, man! And to make it even better, this rad ride comes in far out Scooby Snacks packaging so you can shake the box and hear the sound of a tempting treat.
Batman™ & DC Universe:
- The Dark Knight Rises™ 6-inch Action Figure — This film-accurate version of our hero arrives in a special “lights and sounds” package featuring the Wayne Manor exterior and opens to reveal the Bat Cave stocked with protective battle armor and essential crime-fighting accessories.
- Tiny Titans — They may be miniscule, but they’re mighty! The core team of Tiny Titans is rendered in 1-1/2-inch scale in this five-pack of collectible figures including Robin, Raven, Starfire, Cyborg, and Beast Boy. Sidekick City Elementary is just a quick bus ride away with packaging featuring specially commissioned artwork from Tiny Titans’ series creator Art Balthazar.
- Cars 2012 San Diego Comic-Con Special Edition Mater — This year’s Disney•Pixar Cars special edition Comic-Con vehicle captures the hilarious scene from Cars 2 when our beloved Mater finds himself in a Tokyo bathroom stall. This memorable moment comes to life with moving side jets, as well as a jet that springs up to clean Mater’s undercarriage, lifting his back wheels off the floor. Covered in suds, Mater experiences hi-tech action unlike anything he’s ever seen in Radiator Springs!
Mattel Fan Activities:
A robust schedule of Mattel panels, autograph signings and activities offer something for fanboys and fangirls of all ages, whether it be an up-close and personal experience with talent from today’s hottest entertainment or immersive panel discussions. For the most updated schedule of events visit booth #3029.
- Go Back to the Future™ with the Mattel Hoverboard Experience! Fans of the timeless sci-future-fi will be able to get up close and personal with the iconic Hoverboard with a movie-inspired prop replica. Featuring signature sound effects and cool 80s retro design the Hoverboard experience will whisk fans down memory lane to scenic Hill Valley, California where McFly’s rule!
Thursday July 12:
11:30AM — 12:30PM: MATTEL and WWE®: Get in the Ring! – Room 24ABC
- If you want to talk about Mattel’s WWE action figures with some of the top WWE Superstars then don’t miss a minute of this exciting panel! Be the first to get a sneak peek at upcoming products and hear exciting announcements about the 2013 line. Join CM Punk™, Sheamus™, Zack Ryder™ along with Mattel toy designers Bill Miekina and Derek Handy, and Mattel’s Enrique Ruvalcaba, Director of Marketing, for an action-packed Q&A!
Friday July 13:
12:00PM — 1:00PM: MATTEL Presents: Mattypalooza 2012 – Room 25ABC
- Masters of the Universe® Classics, DC Universe™, Ghostbusters™ and New Mystery Line! This year’s Mattypalooza will be bigger and better than ever! Get all the latest info on your favorite Mattel collector lines, like Masters of the Universe® Classics, DC Universe™, Ghostbusters™, and a brand new mystery line from MattyCollector.com! For all the insider intel, don’t miss the Q & A with Mattel toy designer Ruben Martinez, Mattel brand manager Scott “Toy Guru” Neitlich and special guests The Four Horsemen. It’s the place to be for the world premiere of tons of new toys and collectibles, including the unveiling of the 30th Anniversary MOTU Create a Character contest winner!
3:00PM — 4:00PM: MATTEL and DC Entertainment: A Heroic Partnership – Room 4
- Fans of Mattel’s popular DC Comics toy lines will find out all the latest news, sneak peeks, and behind-the-scenes scoop on their favorite Mattel/DC Comics action figures, including kid and collector releases from Batman™, DC Universe, and more. Get a look at how a toy line is created and participate in the Q&A with a panel of Mattel and Warner Bros. toy team members! Panel attendees will see exciting product line reveals and get some super super hero giveaways!
3:00PM – 4:00PM: Monster High®: Freaky is About to Get Fabulous in San Diego – Room 24ABC
- Freaky is About to Get Fabulous in San Diego, Friday the 13th! Dress up as your favorite ghoul and come celebrate a freaky fab Friday the 13th at the Monster High® panel for a chance to win prizes for best-costume! Join the toy designers, animation producers and voice talent of Monster High® and check out new ghoul revels as well as exclusive scenes from our first ever DVD — Monster High™: Ghouls Rule! (October 2012, in partnership with Universal Studios).
Can’t Make The Con? Collectibles near you!
SDCC isn’t the only place to get great Mattel toys. Check out www.Mattycollector.com for special promotions and collectibles from the world’s biggest brands. Visit your local retailer to find additional products including Batman™ The Dark Knight Rises™ Movie Masters® figures modeled after characters seen in the epic third installment of Christopher Nolan’s Batman™ film franchise in U.S. theaters July 20! And for Monster High™ fans remember to follow @MonsterHigh on Twitter for live updates and www.freakyfab13.com for exclusive SDCC show news and behind the scenes content.
Mattel, Inc. (Nasdaq: MAT) is the worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of toys and family products. The Mattel family is comprised of such best-selling brands as Barbie®, the most popular fashion doll ever introduced, Hot Wheels®, Matchbox®, American Girl®, Radica® and Tyco R/C®, as well as Fisher-Price® brands, including Thomas & Friends®, Little People®, Power Wheels® and a wide array of entertainment-inspired toy lines. In 2012, Mattel was named as one of FORTUNE Magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” for the fifth year in a row. Mattel also is ranked among Corporate Responsibility Magazine’s “100 Best Corporate Citizens.” With worldwide headquarters in El Segundo, Calif., Mattel employs approximately 28,000 people in 43 countries and territories and sells products in more than 150 nations. At Mattel, we are Creating the Future of Play. Visit us at www.mattel.com, www.facebook.com/mattel or www.twitter.com/mattel.
©2012 Mattel, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
DC COMICS: DC SUPERHEROS, TINY TITANS and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © DC Comics.
General Motors Trademarks used under license to Mattel, Inc.
Ghostbusters:TM & © 2012 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All rights reserved.
SCOOBY-DOO and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Hanna-Barbera.
WB SHIELD: TM & © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
Volkswagen trademarks, design patents and copyrights are used with the approval of the owner Volkswagen AG.
Knight Rider and K.I.T.T licensed through NBCUniversal Television Consumer Products Group.
- January 2017 
- December 2016 
- November 2016 
- October 2016 
- September 2016 
- August 2016 
- July 2016 
- June 2016 
- May 2016 
- April 2016 
- March 2016 
- February 2016 
- January 2016 
- December 2015 
- November 2015 
- View complete archive...