Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The state of Playmates TMNT line
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:26 pm 
ABS

I posted this over at RTM and it got a good reaction, so I thought I'd see what we thought of it here...

Collector interest in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles line has taken a nosedive in the last several months, and it didn't have the support of a great many collectors to start. I am hanging in and remaining hopeful things will go back to their former glory (I can't wait for Karai), but I think there have been some key mistakes that may cost Playmates an extremely profitable line in the long run.

No Show-Accurate Turtles: Despite the fact I love the four basic Turtle figures (I think I'm the only one alive who does), I recognize Playmates has erred by not putting out at least one set of Turtles on-model with the (excellent) cartoon, which is something they actually did for the old show. That would have hooked more collectors from the start, and still would draw them now, but Playmates has never done it.

No Quarry: I'm sure she's not missed by many kids, but Playmates teed a lot of collectors off by keeping us hanging with Quarry for quite some time before finally letting her fall by the wayside. The Underground monsters are not remotely my favorite characters, but I would like to have Quarry to go with my Stone Biter and Razor Fist.

No Foot Mystics: Having the Fire Mystic is cool, but where are the rest of them? I'm pretty sure at least one other was shown somewhere along the line. Where are they?

No Mouser 6-Pack: I think Playmates really miscalculated where this was concerned. I was STOKED when I saw this was coming out and quite disappointed when it was cancelled. I would have bought a LOT of them and I know I wasn't alone. Foolish cancellation.

Baxter Stockman: I think the figure they released has its merits, but most collector feedback on Baxter was positively venomous and for good reason. If Playmates didn't think A Guy In A Labcoat would sell, that's fine, but why not make a figure of any of Stockman's fifteen other configurations from the show? The upcoming Turtle Mechs were a PERfect opportunity to make Baxter in his armor suit from round about episode ten or twelve, and it would have given the Turtles someone to fight with their Mechs. Another lost opportunity.

The Worst Action Feature of All-Time: Traximus and Gen are great characters. Why in the world Playmates decided to hamstring them with the crumpling string puppet action is completely beyond me. Even as a kid, this would have ruined these figures for me. If Playmates was going to use this feature, why not make a Foot Soldier or a Dark Assassin that has it? The idea of the Turtles bowling over a group of collapsing Foot Soldiers has a bit of appeal to me. A Traximus I have to keep away from drafts and loud noises does not.

Failing Diversity: As textual said, no new characters have been announced for quite some time. Where's the Garbage Man? How about some more Battle Nexus fighters, or some Federation soldiers for General Blanque to lead? We have Commander Mozar and his troops, where's Zanramon to lead THEM? We got his cruiser. Where's the rest of the Justice Force? Silver Sentry and Dr. Malignus were a great start. Where's Bishop? Where's Touch and Go? There are so MANY charaters still available to Playmates, what's going on? It's not like the supporting characters and villains don't sell; the only one I've ever seen peg warm is April. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is about the most diverse universe out there, keep taking advantage of it.

I'm sure people can come up with other reasons, but those are mine as to why collectors are turning on the TMNT line. I don't think any of them are themselves dealbreakers, I think it's been a series of little disappointments until people just say the hell with it. I haven't said that yet, and I probably won't until the line is cancelled, but Playmates is leaving me less and less to buy. After Karai, I have nothing to look forward to.

-JJJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:41 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I'd love to see some show accurate sculpts as well. I've never been that big a fan of any of the TMNT shows, but I loved the original comic series. I've picked up most of the characters that appeared in the Eastman and Laird comics.

Of course now you have the new movie figures to look forward to...or dread.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/phpB ... php?t=1001

Julius

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:33 pm 
ABS

JuliusMarx wrote:

Of course now you have the new movie figures to look forward to...or dread.

Julius

Unlike a lot of people, I actually like Playmates figures in general. They and Mezco are the only companies whose figures get a look just because they're figures from those companies.

-JJJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:02 pm 
I think the line would do better with more articulation and more non-turtle characters like Agent Bishop. PlayMates hasn't even released any season 3 figures, everything including Battle Nexus and Triceratons are still from season 2 really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:17 pm 
ABS

I really like the line but I will not be happy untill we finally get our Comic Accurate (Mirage Comics) turtles......Untill then.......Eh..............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:59 pm 
ABS

The four original Turtle figures are a lot closer to Mirage Comics than the animated series. That's what I like about them.

-JJJ