Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:15 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

I think it was limited to 1000 pices, distributed only in Japan.

While I'm stealing bandwidth...

These are being re-issued

And here are the two new releases out now-ish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:33 pm 
Resin

Dare wrote:
I think it was limited to 1000 pices, distributed only in Japan.

That looks very nice. I'd love to get one at some point, but I have a feeling that it'll be WAY over my price range!

Should be getting Fantasia Mickey, Aladdin and the new (purple dress) Jasmine within the next 2 weeks :D

The UK has actually got some of these (I've seen Belle - Dress Up, Jasmine and Cinderella so far) as Disney Princess Magical Collection. But I think I'll stick with imports as they've all be repainted with shiny paint. It works for Cinderella (but not her mice!) but I think it detracts a bit from Jasmine and Belle.

How often do these come out? Two or three every few months?

Thanks for all the help and advice so far! These (and the new Disney Heroes figures when they're released) are the best Disney stuff I've seen since I collected the Aladdin figures when I was a kid!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:15 pm 

Quote:
The UK has actually got some of these (I've seen Belle - Dress Up, Jasmine and Cinderella so far) as Disney Princess Magical Collection. But I think I'll stick with imports as they've all be repainted with shiny paint. It works for Cinderella (but not her mice!) but I think it detracts a bit from Jasmine and Belle.

Interesting. I know that diamond released a 5 or 6 pack of perlescent princess repaints. Didn't know they sold them individually.

Quote:
How often do these come out? Two or three every few months?

A wave (usu 2-4 new pieces) hits approximately every 1.5-2 months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:47 pm 
Resin

I think they're a European release (the back of the box is covered in loads of languages). They look nice, but the new paint job takes away from the movie authenticity that makes the Japanese releases really special.

Thanks for that, guess I'd better keep an eye on their site then so I can stay up to date! Now I've found out about the line I want to be able to stay on top of the new releases whilst slowly filling in the gaps of what I've missed. I don't intend to get them all, but even collecting just those from my favorite films (plus some of the classic characters) will keep me busy for a long time :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:56 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Devil Pluto? I don't ever remember him.

Where is the love for Darkwing Duck, his rogues, and the ever awesome Gargoyles?!?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:08 am 
Resin

Starscream wrote:
Devil Pluto? I don't ever remember him.

Where is the love for Darkwing Duck, his rogues, and the ever awesome Gargoyles?!?

Well I've never seen the cartoon myself but Devil Pluto is listed as being from the short "Lend a Paw".

Darkwing Duck would be nice to see, but I expect we'd probably see Scrooge McDuck, Donald's nephews, and maybe even Goof Troop characters (like Max) before Darkwing gets made.

I would like to say if the DVD sets of Chip n Dale and Duck Tales sell well I'd imagine Darkwing Duck shouldn't be far behind and that should increase the chances, but since they're Region 1 releases I'm not sure what affect they would have.

I agree; Gargoyles would be great to see (Elisa in her normal outfit!)

At a guess I'd say Cinderella in her rags is a possibility soon because of the world wide DVD release this Fall.

On a related note, my ebay orders have all arrived so I now have Fantasia Mickey, Aladdin and Jasmine (Dress Up Version) on my shelf. They look fantastic! My girlfriend has ordered me the regular Jasmine and Genie for X-Mas, so my collection is off to a good start. Time to find Jafar then move on to Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid!

These are the best Disney collectables out there, besides the mega expensive Walt Disney Classics Collection, but that's way out of my price range (though I am saving up for "A Whole New World" as it's just such a beautiful piece).

EDIT:

Just a quick update, the official site http://www.tomy.co.jp/disney/magical_collection/ has updated with pictures of the new releases.

Nothing that really interests me in this wave:
Another version of Jack Skellington and a new character called Oogie Boogie from Nightmare Before Christmas (guess these are the Halloween releases).
A repaint of Future Mickey called Future Mickey Color who features more Mickey style coloring (ie: red pants)
A blacked out picture of Chicken Little (probably to be released around the time of the film)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:14 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

ChrisLyne wrote:
I would like to say if the DVD sets of Chip n Dale and Duck Tales sell well I'd imagine Darkwing Duck shouldn't be far behind and that should increase the chances, but since they're Region 1 releases I'm not sure what affect they would have.

We are Region 1. I would imagine if they were going in chronological order Darkwing Duck would be right after Rescue Rangers. At least Gargoyles is getting more DVDs.

Was this from some Pixar short of something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:21 pm 

Quote:
We are Region 1. I would imagine if they were going in chronological order Darkwing Duck would be right after Rescue Rangers. At least Gargoyles is getting more DVDs.

Tomy's MDC collection reflects 2 things: What's popular for Disney in Japan (mainly the big animated movies, NBX, and old classics) and newer ventures (Kim Possible, now Chicken Little). I don't know about Disney Afternoon stuff. We still haven't seen ANY figures specifically based on DA shows, and I have no idea if DA shows were even screened in Japan.

I'd love a set of Gummy Bears though.

Quote:

Was this from some Pixar short of something?

No, that's an OLD character created by Disney in partnership with Florida Oranges. Wade Sampson from jimhillmedia has the following description:

Quote:
FLORIDA CITRUS
Florida Citrus will sponsor the Tiki Room in Walt Disney World. Our contract states that we cannot use anything but Florida Citrus products on the property. Individual brands cannot be promoted, only citrus from Florida. (COMMENT: The Florida Orange Bird was designed by Disney and featured on a variety of merchandise from banks, records, bobble heads, plates and cups and more. The Orange Bird was created for the Florida Citrus Growers when they sponsored the Magic Kingdom's Tiki Room. He also appeared in commercials and an educational film called "Food and Fun: A Nutrition Adventure" that was released in September of 1980. There was even an Orange Bird walkaround costumed character who was outside the Sunshine Tree Terrace where Florida Orange Juice was sold. A smaller likeness of the Orange Bird sat in the branches of the Sunshine Tree. The sponsorship ended in 1986.)

The original article:
http://jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/sho ... php?ID=928

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:27 am 
hi all
ive just joined this forum because i ***LOVE*** dinsey magical collection figures!!!

i have about 25 figs from the series now & i had some display questions.

1. how do you make Snow White stand upright? her cape makes her lean backwards.

2. how do you make timothy mouse stay on dumbo's hat? he keeps popping off & im afraid of losing him!

3. i just got cinderella & shes still in the blister pack, but there seems to be a huuuuuuuge crack in the seam of her dress. is this the actual seam, or is this a defect?

thank you for any answers!

i hope that we get figs representing THE RESCUERS, JUNGLE BOOK, MR TOAD, Disneyland Attractions like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Small World & Enchanted Tiki Room....& I think they should do MORE characters from PETER PAN & PINNOCHIO!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:03 pm 
Resin

Welcome to the boards!

I don't have the figures you're asking questions about (though I bet Dare could answer them).

If Snow White is anything like Aladdin (I can't make him stand up either) then you'll probably have to use the stand that comes with her, assuming one did; that's the only way I can get Al to stand.

I'd love to see Mr. Smee to go with the Peter Pan figures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:00 pm 

Quote:
though I bet Dare could answer them

heh, you'd lose, Chris. Jason Geyer aka Toyotter's the one to ask. He's got a huge collection of the MDCs loose on display somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:09 pm 
yeah, from PETER PAN id love to see Mr Smee, the darling children, the lost boys seem like a natural choice, princess tigerlily & MOST OF ALL, THE CROCODILE!!!!!

i love his crazy eyes!!!!

i do have Snow White on the stand but the weight of her cape makes her bend backwards.

i collect the medicom disney figs as well, & they are a dream come true!
i have ariel, jessica rabbit, alice & peter pan!

strange that medicom hasnt done a donald duck figure yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:10 am 
Resin

Dare wrote:
Quote:
though I bet Dare could answer them

heh, you'd lose, Chris. Jason Geyer aka Toyotter's the one to ask. He's got a huge collection of the MDCs loose on display somewhere.

Wow! Glad I didn't put money on that bet :wink:

Not sure about Snow White then :? Maybe try to display her without the cape or discreetly lean her on something? Not ideal but I can't think of much else unless Toyotter has any ideas.

Now that you mention it n69n, Jessica Rabbit is one character I would have thought they'd have put in the Magical Collection by now.

Just got Tarzan off ebay ($8.98 including shipping and insurance) so that's something I can look forward to getting in about a week :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:52 am 
shirtless hugger

I'm surprised about the lack of Roger and Jessica Rabbit as well. I'd buy both of those. Baby Herman and the weasels too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:24 pm 
strangely enough, all the pics of the cinderella fig have *that* side of her turned away from the camera, so i cant see if that crack is just how her seam runs or if its truly a defect.

i emailed the shop i bought from; they offered to replace it but they told me that ALL the cinderellas have "a big crack" down the side!