Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Southern Island To Make Warmachine Action Figures!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:32 am 
Infinite Hero

Southern Island just announced they've reached an agreement with Privateer Press to produce figures based on the miniatures game Warmachine!

I'm a gamer, so I'm familiar with the property - but I'd imagine many hear only picture the Marvel character when they hear Warmachine. Warmachine is a game set in the realm of the Iron Kingdoms. Think fantasy in the Industrial Revolution. There's still dwarves, elves, goblins and the like...but there's also machines, guns and factories. It's cool stuff.

Here's a link to the games official site so y'all can get a feel for it:
http://www.privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/

There is AWESOME toy potential here. I'm really stoked about this one!

Here's a link to the concept art for the first figure:
http://www.southernisland.com/wm.htm

Here's the text of the PR issued by Southern Island:

Quote:
Privateer Press Inc Awards WARMACHINE Toy License to Southern Island LLC.

Southern Island to create Epic Coleman Stryker action figure.

TUCSON, (AUGUST 08, 2005) – Southern Island LLC®, a leading manufacturer and distributor of action figure, bust and statues, today announced that it has been awarded the rights to produce WARMACHINE® action figure Epic Coleman Stryker® by Privateer Press Inc®.

“We are very excited to work with Privateer Press on this line of action figures. Privateer Press has been a leader in the world of gaming and their vision in miniatures will convert well into full sized action figures,” said Joseph Reiter, president of Southern Island LLC. “WARMACHINE is a franchise that has a strong following and a loyal fan base. We are honored to be working with them.”

Southern Island signed the agreement with plans to release Epic Coleman Stryker action figures this coming holiday season. The company will develop a highly-articulated 6.1-inch action figure of this loved character for all the WARMACHINE® fans.

About Southern Island LLC

Southern Island LLC is a premier manufacturer of action figures, statues and busts for the comic, anime and video game markets. Comprising of today's leading artists, sculptors and licensors, Southern Island LLC is committed to creating innovative and high-quality products, including such licenses as Blue Gender™, Case Closed™, Fruits Basket™, Fullmetal Alchemist™, Judo Girl™, Legend of Isis™, Tenth Muse™, Victoria's Secret Service™ and Zoo™. For more information on Southern Island or their products, please visit www.southernisland.com or contact them at info@southernisland.com.

About Privateer Press Inc

Privateer Press, Inc. was founded in 2000 by Matt Wilson and Brian Snoddy and produces the award-winning tabletop miniatures war game WARMACHINE as well as the award-winning d20 Iron Kingdoms Role-playing Game. To learn more about Privateer Press, visit www.privateerpress.com.

Cool beans!

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:07 am 
Quote:
Southern Island LLC®, a leading manufacturer and distributor of action figure, bust and statues

Ok, not trying to be a jerk, but have they actually manufactured ANYTHING yet?? All I've seen is the one lone Victoria Secret Service proto and more and more license announcements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:27 am 
Infinite Hero

Maxim wrote:
Quote:
Southern Island LLC®, a leading manufacturer and distributor of action figure, bust and statues

Ok, not trying to be a jerk, but have they actually manufactured ANYTHING yet?? All I've seen is the one lone Victoria Secret Service proto and more and more license announcements.

Nope. Nothing's actually come out yet...but, that's pretty standard PR wording. Always cast yourself in the best possible light...

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:28 am 
I understand the reasoning behind the wording. Just amazes me that a company would keep announcing licenses(and actually aquiring them) without any bankable product actually made yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:24 pm 
5th Horseman

Well, if they don't have at least a few properties lined up, there would be huge gaps in between when things were released. For example, if they just picked up Victoria's Secret Service, and then waited til she came out (which should be fairly soon, since we've seen painted samples), then picked up a license, it would be another year before you saw something else from them.

Still, they have to be careful about not spreading themselves too thin too quick - it's a balancing act.

Michael
MWC

Post subject: Let's talk Old Man Zim for a minute...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:24 pm 
5th Horseman

Since he's not super hero, let's talk cartoons for a minute...

One of the coolest exclusives for Wizard World Chicago last week was the new Invader Zim in his old man disguise with Gir in his doggie suit. I was really looking forward to this pair, since I just haven't had enough of a Zim fix lately. Unfortunately, one of the figures disappointed me - fortunately, the other did not. I have my full review up tonight!

You can find all the reviews at the usual:

http://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:46 pm 
Michael Crawford wrote:
Well, if they don't have at least a few properties lined up, there would be huge gaps in between when things were released. For example, if they just picked up Victoria's Secret Service, and then waited til she came out (which should be fairly soon, since we've seen painted samples), then picked up a license, it would be another year before you saw something else from them.

Still, they have to be careful about not spreading themselves too thin too quick - it's a balancing act.

Michael
MWC

Oh I wouldn't suggest that. I know they would have to have things lined up. It's just strange to see this much hype from a company that has produced nothing ever. The only credits they have are as a store. A list of 10 licenses before your first product even hits shelves?

I'm not trying to bash them. It just seems familiar to alot of other companies that have hyped alot and delivered little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:47 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Let's just hope they handle the manufacturing better than they did the retail side. Their Street Fighter Exclusives fiasco was handled very badly...

As for lots of announcements and no product, I REALLY hope they don't become another "OVER 30 FIGURES PLANNED" Toy Vault with their amazing vaporware lines like LOTR, Farscape, Everquest, etc.

The "release a few figures, promise more, repaint the hell out of your existing ones, then disappear from Action Figures" strategy aint a good one... :lol:

SpyMagician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:37 pm 
Infinite Hero

I drove to Indianapolis yesterday to attend a day of Gen Con, the SDCC of gaming conventions.

I went to the Privateer Press (makers of Warmachine) panel, and Matt Wilson, creator of the game and one of the artists as well, mentioned how they (as a company) tended to be creative control freaks.

So, I asked about how the felt that Southern Island hasn't brought a single product to market as of yet. Matt explained that he's an action figure collector too and is closely watching the development of this project and if it doesn't meet his standards...it won't get released.

That being said, he also said he's very pleased with everything he's seen thus far.

So, that gives me hope!

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:17 pm 
It is amazing still that on almost any toy board you can get any female name you want.. sigh where are my girls at?!!?!

My name is serena and I have been visiting the site for a while now but this is my first post. As many of you know I work at southern island on the creative development side of the company. not that there are that many sides really since we are a toy company. any way it was nice to see feedback about the warmachine line. trust in that we have worked very close with the warmachine creators and toy experts in the field to make sure the figures will rock. i surf this site often during work hours so if you have any questions you can post them here or at our boards at SI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:09 pm 
active in the community

Joseph stop fooling around!lol
I still have yet to meet you Serena or speak to you on the phone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:28 pm 
shirtless hugger

Are they just making this one character? He looks cool, but I was looking at the website of the licensor and those Warjack mechs looked awesome, and I'd definitely buy those if SI made those as articulated figures.