Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Has anyone seen the new Disney Heroes figures?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:46 pm 
Resin

I was just flicking though the new Toyfare today (like most people I just glance at it rather than buy it) and saw a new line of Disney Heroes figures on p.27

Unlike the current playschool aimed line that they're doing now these were proper 6" figures with good looking sculpts and what looked to be good articulation. The costumes aren't quite the same as the movies and the characters look a little more realistic (not quite the right word but the best I can do at 1am), which is perhaps a little off putting but the figures look great.

EDIT - Ok I'm awake now, and I think detailed is probably a better word to use than realistic. The figures have far more details on them than the animated characters had in the films (Hook's coat being a perfect example of this). Hercules has extra armor which I'm not sure if it will be removable or not.

They're listed as a Disney Store exclusive. Wave 1 is Peter Pan, Hercules and Prince Phillip with Captain Hook as the villain.

I'm hoping that this line will make it to the Disney Store in the UK, if not I'll have to import them. More importantly I hope it lasts long enough to get a nice Aladdin, it feels wrong saying that my 1992 Mattel Aladdin figure is the best figure of him ever made!

If it takes off I hope we'll see more villains and some heroines thrown in as well (Jasmine and Mulan would seem natural fit as they're more action orientated). Really hope they don't just stick with the same few heroes and 1 villain like they did with the playschool range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:57 pm 
Yeah I was incredibly impressed by these as well (in fact I posted a similar message over at RTM). I'm pretty excited for the potential of this line: not only are the sculpts amazing, but they got some interesting articulation too. I have to say that the Captain Hook looks phenomenal, but they rest aint to shabby either. Unfortunetly I don't see any females being worked into this line since the Disney Store seems to make only dolls of the female characters and figures of the male heroes...I guess only time will tell where this line will go! I could definetly see a sweet looking Beast or Aladdin coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:23 am 
shirtless hugger

What kind of articulation do they have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:56 am 
Well they seem to have the same articulation as most DC Direct figures with the standard 9 pts (neck swivel, shoulder swivel, elbows, hips, knees). However, Cap Hook has a neat waist swivel, and Peter Pan has jointed wrists (and possibly ankles). It seems as though they made the articulation specific to the character to maintain a more sleek/aesthically pleasing appearance (aka using mostly swivel jts instead of any ball jts). Oddly enough Hercules looks like he has only 5 pts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:00 am 
Resin

bluesparrow, I can't really remember the level of articulation (I went back to buy the mag today but my local comic chop only gets 1 copy and it'd been sold). I think it's safe to say it's less than Marvel Legends but probably a little bit more than the Mattel Comic Batman figures. Someone with the pictures can probably give you a better idea.

Oceanic84 I'm with you on that. It's a real shame Disney Store seems to have Mattel's old idea that female figures don't sell (though based on Comic Con Mattel has really done a 360 on that and I couldn't be happier!). I'm hoping that since these new figures seem to be aimed more at collectors than the current playschool line we may see some female heroes sneak in somewhere down the line, but I'm not holding my breathe.

I was looking at the current Adventurers/Heroes figures they do. Wave 2 only needs to have Aladdin and Tarzan to match the full line up of the kids action figures. But in the mini playsets and the mini figure 6 pack they also have Jafar and the Palace Guard from Aladdin, Phil and Hades from Hercules, Shang and Shan-Yu from Mulan, and Terk and Clayton from Tarzan. Fair enough I can't see them all being made (Phil, Terk and Palace Guard especially) but it does show that they have some potential for diversity!

If the first wave sells well (and there's no reason it shouldn't) I'd put money on Aladdin and Tarzan being in wave 2 as they're the only figures in the main playschool line that aren't in wave 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:26 pm 
Resin

Ok hate to double post but I just got the page of toyfare scanned and emailed to me by a mate over at the DC Boards. I won't post it here (unless a mod or JM says it's ok) because I think there's some legal stuff that means it's not allowed (I remember there being some trouble about it over at Legions of Gotham at one point). Here are some more details from the pictures now I've had chance to look over them.

Articulation - it's a lot closer to the early Mattel Batman stuff than I thought. Maybe a little more on some figures, little less on others. That said I've never been good at judging things like articulation so someone else with the pics could probably do a better job at guessing than me.

Detail - The figures are stylised and have a cartoon look to them, but they are far more detailed than they were in the movies:

Peter Pan looks slightly older and has gloves as well as higher boots than he did in the film. His belt now has a buckle on it as well. He comes with his dagger, a bow, a quiver, and I'm guessing arrows.

Captain Hook is far more detailed than he was in the film. His hair and feather are both longer. The gold trim on his jacket is very detailed and gone are the pink trousers and white socks, in place are very dark blue (almost black) trousers and higher boots. He now sports a gauntlet round his good wrist and his hooked hand is far larger (I can't think how to describe it properly). I'm guessing he'd come with a sword but none is pictured.

Hercules looks pretty much like he did in the film, only with slightly longer hair. Then you have the added armor. The more I look at this the less I think it's removable. He has gold armor over his chest, shoulders, wrists, thighs and calves. The "skirt" has been replaced by loin clothes at front and rear. He has a sword and shield.

Both Peter Pan's dagger and Herc's sword can be put in their respective scabbards.

Prince Phillip is the final figure (he seems an odd choice to me and I'm guessing he's there as they're saving Aladdin and Tarzan to anchor wave 2). This is one you really do need to see. Whilst he is clearly Prince Phillip his look is much more warrior like. The cape has far more volume to it and white trim at the bottom, there is a crest on his chest, and both his arms and legs sport additional armor. His sword is far larger but the shield remains pretty much the same only a little more detailed. He also comes with a red and white helmet with a gold bird on top.

Hope that helps people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:05 pm 
shirtless hugger

Which movie is Prince Phillip from?

Also I think you can post Toyfare pics as long as the words(which are copyrighted) are covered up. They don't own the pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:10 am 
Resin

Phillip is from Sleeping Beauty.

The picture I've got is a scan of the full page, I'll see what I can do to edit it (though both Peter Pan and Prince Phillip have those annoying word ballons that ToyFare seems so fond of).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:22 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Have pics of these popped up online anywhere yet?

I usually shy away from all things Disney but these have piqued my interest.

Off to check the Disney Store website now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:16 pm 
Resin

I'm probably playing this a little too safe, but I really don't want to get JM or this site in trouble so I'm not gonna post them.

bluesparrow if you PM me your email address I'll send the picture to you. Leo I'm sending the picture to you now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:23 pm 
shirtless hugger

Wow those really are tremendous! I can't wait to see more about these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:56 pm 
Resin

Muchas I hate to revive old topics I was wondering if anyone had seen these yet? They've not been released in the UK Disney Stores (no surprise there!) and I've not seen them on ebay yet either.

Any one here seen them?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:10 am 
shirtless hugger

Heh I considered bumping this thread up myself... I don't have any Disney Stores locally and I check the website store frequently but haven't seen anything. I google for them but apparantly Disney Heroes is too generic...

If it weren't for the pics in toyfare I wouldn't know these even existed.

Any of the website staff have a clue about these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:14 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Last time I went to the Disney store ( a little over a month ago) they had the figures. I wasn't all that impressed with them but that was probably because of the character selection (why o why did no one want the DD line?!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:22 pm 
Resin

Starscream, are you sure those were the new Disney Heroes not the light up pre-school range that seems to be in abundance everywhere?

If they were then cool! At least they're out! I agree using a character like Prince Phillip rather than someone like Aladdin or Tarzan seems a little strange, but they're probably holding them back to have some of the big guns for series 2.