Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:40 am 
Damage Control

As for my own, its more toy-ish than modelish, but fun nonetheless. My saucer is painted as well as a secondary hull has been painted. My engine nacelle is about 2 feet long just to give you an idea of how big this is getting.
I have the light sources for the deflector, bussard collector and nacelle endcap.

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo ... 3357RiUWzB

Ive got the major shapes together, hope you enjoy. :D

Work is moving along. My light sources are the mini-pods from Black and Decker, 3 aaa batteries each, man are they bright. Like I said its very toy-ish looking, I was going more for fun rather than movie accuracy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:30 pm 
3 3/4"

A little off-topic but did anyone else see that Quantum Mechanix got the license for props for the new movie? More specifically, a 34 inch Studio Scale USS Enterprise and a 10 inch Enterprise for the more financially responsible potential customers out there. I have the Studio Scale TOS USS Enterprise from Master Replicas and it is one of my favorite pieces in the collection. I'm heavily considering this upcoming version. :wink:

Though I'm interested to see what the 10" version is like. They say it won't have lights but it'll be just as detailed as the Studio Scale version. The Playmates toy is a good toy but it's good to know more discerning, accuracy obsessed, collectors will have another option.

Here's the link to their Web site:

http://www.quantummechanix.com/Star_Trek.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:14 pm 
5" Scale

I know this isn't the greatest photo but I just wanted to share how well parts of the Bridge playset seem to go with the JLU LOSH figures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:08 am 
Damage Control

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo ... 3357VpNtzy

Still working on my toy/model version of the USS KELVIN. I decided to add on a few bits like a cutaway view of the bridge (peekaboo dome) and adding on movable gun turrests. Im so wanting to just add a hangar from my 1/350 scale ENT A kit that is close to this toy's scale.

Light up Deflector dish, Bridge, Engine bussard and end cap (Yes, both light up).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:12 am 
shirtless hugger

joeace wrote:
HalJordanist wrote:
The bridge playset does kind of look like a mat. It makes sense though. Cost effective, open play environment. Could be why it's priced as it is. Just hope the quality holds up. And let's hope there's more to it than just a mat and pieces.

-J

I spoke with a Playmates rep at the New York Comic Con.

Do you want to know why the bridge playset doesn't cost that much?
That's because it's really a BUILD-A-BRIDGE playset.

Here is what you get.
The viewscreen, Kirk's Chair and main center console, 2 displays?, Kirk figure and the play mat they go on.

And here is what it can look like after you buy a whole bunch of 3.75" figures that come with pieces of the bridge. So it will cost more than $25 to get it to look like this.

This is EXACTLY why I did not bother buying any of the Star Trek figures. This is almost as dumb an idea as the "1701 Series" of figures Playmates did years ago. When they did that I stopped collecting them.

What about kids who's parents can afford the bridge and a couple figures? Kirk and Spock get to walk around a mostly empty play mat.

I did buy the Enterprise and the role play toys, I love those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:31 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I should have posted this last week when I read it but in the mayhem around here I forgot all about it after I read it... Over at GalacticHunter.com Adam May blogged about the bridge and transporter playsets and the final cost of putting each together...

http://www.galacticblogger.com/blogger/ ... stic-bird/

That bridge set, when complete, ends up costing more than the Big Massive Falcon (granted you also get 18 action figures in the process, but still...). The Falcon is one giant chunk of plastic which had to have used massive amounts of steel for the tooling. Granted Hasbro will have several re-issues of that thing that they can count on getting where Playmates may or may not get more use out of the bridge parts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:46 am 
shirtless hugger

ToyOtter wrote:
Does anyone know a good online archive of the 90's Playmates trek toys?

I looked around, but haven't found anything outside of some stores. I miss Scott Gordon's Trek page at RTM. :(

J.

These are not all the Playmates Star Trek figures, but most of them are here. I have just about everything listed in an Excel Database if you have any more questions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:18 am 
We're going streaking!

I decided not to get the Transporter Playset. No room. There is no room for the Bridge Playset either, but the idea is still intriguing to me and I would love to see what one looks like with the mat mounted to some foam core, etc. Granted, the promo pics of the completed Bridge Set looks much better than the actual set (w/o the pieces; obviously, some changes were made in both design and placement of pieces and I do not know which is more accurate to the movie, but the prototype looks nicer). With the Target sale on, I need to decided whether to get the Bridge Set now... or wait for it to hit clearance :D . I am still undecided on the Enterprise too. I would like a nice one, but do I get Playmates' movie version, or look for a nice version from Diamond Select?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:12 pm 
Damage Control

DST/ART ASYLUM make great, realistic and are pretty cool thru and thru. Id wait on the movie one unless you just want to pick it up. Its worth 20$ not 30$ wait till it hits on sale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:07 pm 
Damage Control

STAR TREK hit over 200 million, anybody know if Playmates is going to do a USS KELVIN and SHUTTLE or SHUTTLES? I know not alot of licenses werent given out for this movie, but now that its a success, wondering what we might see down the road. I know there is a new movie ENTERPRISE model coming out by next year, the box was shown on JOHN EAVES blog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:12 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Do you have a link to the new box picture? I'd sure like to check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:40 am 
3 3/4"

TRDouble wrote:
I decided not to get the Transporter Playset. No room. There is no room for the Bridge Playset either, but the idea is still intriguing to me and I would love to see what one looks like with the mat mounted to some foam core, etc.

Your wish is my command. Just finished it. I'm actually not completely happy with it. I couldn't find a glue that would affix it permanently so the mat is easy to peel off with no damage whatsoever. An epoxy would probably work but I didn't feel like exerting the effort. Building it made me realize how much the mat is NOT symmetrical. A lot of it is due to inconsistency in cutting it out in the factory but even things like the stairs are not mirror images of the other. A real, functioning, plastic playset with walls, lights, sounds, play features would be best but this isn't bad. I'm undecided as to whether the work is worth it but here you go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:09 pm 
Daniel Pickett

That looks amazing!! Well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:09 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Fantastic work! Definately improves the "flat mat" look. I wonder if scanning the mat and printing the sections on photo paper would help or perhaps using the mat as a template to etch the designs directly into the foamcore?... I'll being doing something like this for sure once I've grabbed the bridge.

BTW, the local Walmart dropped prices on the figures. $4.97 for 3 3/4" and $6.97 for 6". Not sure if that's national or not but it would have to help...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:51 pm 
Collector Inspector

I saw that walmart had reduced the price on their star trek lines. The 6in are now $7 and the 3.75in are now $5 also.
Granted, I applaud walmart for putting them at prices action figures in general should be at, but still this can't be good. Because if walmart has reduced their price, every other store is gonna have to drop theirs to compete. And if its pegwarming there, its pegwarming everywhere else.

I have the want to pick some of these up, but from the beginning I knew they would only be impulse buys so I thought I'd wait till they went on clearance.
These new prices tempt me more though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next