Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Guile, Balrog and Scarlet Witch galleries up.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:43 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

I finally had some time to churn out the last 2 reviews.

I've also added a quickie ML11 Scarlet Witch gallery, so you guys can get a proper look at how bad she is.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/reviews/icftos/index.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:13 am 
shirtless hugger

Thanks for the terrific SW gallery, Dare, it's exactly what I wanted to see. No bad lighting, no flash bringing out otherwise invisible paint detail. Just a clear-eyed look at her.

And you're right, it's looks like a pretty bad figure. I don't think the head sculpt is actually that bad - it's HUGEness compared to the body seems a bit overwhelming. The body looks terrible even not considering the head - the materials look pretty crummy, combined with a thin sculpt. Rickety. The bad paint apps aren't just what kill the figure. I also hate that raw red plastic on her torso. Whenever I get a Toybiz figure(or any figure really) with huge stretches of unpainted plastic like that, they feel cheap.

I'm wondering about these rumors of Toy Biz's factory closing down now, after 11 turned out to be pretty bad. I love my Taskmaster, he turned out pretty perfect IMO, but Ultron, Wonder Man, and now it seems Scarlet Witch turned out to be pretty chintzy. Sounds like the factory was shorting Toybiz on QC as it's money ran out. Cheaper plastic, worse paint apps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:34 am 

Quote:
Thanks for the terrific SW gallery, Dare, it's exactly what I wanted to see.

No prob. I hate using flash in general. Unpredictable shadows muck with everything.

Quote:
Sounds like the factory was shorting Toybiz on QC as it's money ran out. Cheaper plastic, worse paint apps.

That may be possible, but I think that would only be in regards to the plastic and the paint. This batch isn't Toybiz's best, but it certainly isnt their worst either. Well, OK, wanda's an exception. Those freckles really must have been some kind of freak misplacement of the mask or something.

But i think ultimately, Toybiz also has some responsibility since it is they who decide where to cut costs in terms of sculpt and paint apps. If the plastic is glossy, it was a conscience decision (eg to use glossy paint, or use unpainted ABS etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:51 am 
proverbial old fart

Dare,

Thanks for sharing the pics and information on the pitiful Scarlet Witch figure.

I wonder if this figure was produced in one of those Chinese Army prison factories?

What was the quality of the other figures in the release?

Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:28 pm 

I did a shared purchase so i only ended up with Witch, Ironman and Thing.

Ironman's still a bit stickey, even after a week of letting him air. I think it's the paint. There's also quite a bit of paint splotches and rubs. And his helmet's real loose. But my biggest gripe is that he looks cheap. The bright red glossy paint and thick marker outlines for his contours just make him look like a TOY toy.

I wouldn't gripe so much if this were 1995, but after Toybiz has done some good work on Juggernaut and Mecha Hulk, they've set the benchmark for themselves. Hulkbuster didn't hit it.

Thing is probably the best of the 3. He feels like what I think an ML should. Easy to use joints, no excessive torque needed to pose him, visually acceptable paint apps. Only thing is that paint splotches still plague him a little. They're especially blantant on his blue pants, since there's hardly any weathering there.

Post subject: Re: Guile, Balrog and Scarlet Witch galleries up.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:47 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Dare wrote:

I finally had some time to churn out the last 2 reviews.

I've also added a quickie ML11 Scarlet Witch gallery, so you guys can get a proper look at how bad she is.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/reviews/icftos/index.shtml

That pic is amazingly awesome. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:20 pm 

thank you!

Post subject: Meeting
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:19 pm 
[quote="Dare"][/quote]

You guys ever thought of a forum-meeting? I think it'll be great to see the faces behind the keyboards. Unless of course you prefer your keyboard over your face.. :D :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:51 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Thanks for the great pics Dare, even the ones of ManWitch. :wink:

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:35 pm 
shirtless hugger

Those are awesome Dare! :)

Balrog is amazing!