Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Original Star Trek Bridge Set by Playmates
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:02 pm 
Tis' but a pup

If my memory serves me correctly, Playmates had designed and
tooled a classic Star Trek Bridge playset similiar to the Next
Generation set they released in the mid 1990's. They decided not to release the set, but I'm wondering with the success of the new movie if it might finally come out. :?:

Post subject: Re: Original Star Trek Bridge Set by Playmates
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:07 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Nick in NY wrote:
If my memory serves me correctly, Playmates had designed and
tooled a classic Star Trek Bridge playset similiar to the Next
Generation set they released in the mid 1990's. They decided not to release the set, but I'm wondering with the success of the new movie if it might finally come out. :?:

I don't remember anything about that (I'm not saying it wasn't planned I just don't remember it), but with the time since their original Trek lines have ended and the fact that the new lines are not in the same scale I would say that the chance of that happening is probably zero. Considering how long it's been if the set actually was tooled the tooling has most likely been recycled or "lost".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:14 pm 
Damage Control

Actually, yes and no. Playmates was going to build a TOS BRIDGE PLAYSET, the prototype was made, but that is as far as it went. NEW FORCE COMICS ( aka newforcecomics.com ) has a STAR TREK REFERENCE CENTER which has pictures of it, unfortunately, its under a major overhaul. The TOS PLAYSET was never released, only a TOS BRIDGE FIGURES set was released for the 20th anniversary and the background is made of cardboard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-trek-rare-Play ... .m20.l1116

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:00 pm 
Damage Control

Found the shots, enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:54 pm 
5th Horseman

There has to be a solution to the need for a Bridge Playset for the Playmates Original Series figure set. SOMETHING!!!

I found some images from Star Trek Fact Files of the bridge, sick bay, main engineering, turbo lift, and the transporter room. I'm debating whether or not to delve into customizing my own "playsets" for these figures. I want to take my time and do it as well as I possibly can, but needless to say it will be more than challenging.

Any customizers out there have any pointers for this? I don't think making the main diorama pieces will be too difficult, but the details could be tough.

Any suggestions?

-J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:07 pm 
Damage Control

Your craft store will be your friend. Foam board is a cheap and quick way to start finding out the dimensions. As far as details, depends, do you want just a back drop enlarged from a photo or an actual dio?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:37 pm 
5th Horseman

TRISTAN wrote:
Your craft store will be your friend. Foam board is a cheap and quick way to start finding out the dimensions. As far as details, depends, do you want just a back drop enlarged from a photo or an actual dio?

I was thinking along the lines of doing these sets as detailed as possible with the most durability and quality that I can muster.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/DennisJerz/b ... rawing.png

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/stmagazine/pike-transporter.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/interiors1.htm&usg=__O7nJJhw0lk5YAtxbjg76-ywAIQU=&h=740&w=768&sz=119&hl=en&start=15&um=1&tbnid=8YG5js1lZ33jFM:&tbnh=137&tbnw=142&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtransporter%2Broom%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Any ideas as far as materials, paints, layouts, and particularly... the chairs!!! Please pass along any thoughts. I really want to do this and do it right.

-J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:28 pm 
Damage Control

One thought, buy the AMT ENTERPRISE TOS BRIDGE, its actually in scale with the 2 inch minimates, but it would be a good start to copy from that set up. Plus, you can enlarge the decals.

The plans for the hangar should be pretty easy to find.

Im at a loss for the transporter other than the STARFLEET TECHNICAL MANUAL.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:45 pm 
5th Horseman

I still haven't had much luck getting started on this project. I'm trying to find chairs that will work for the helm, navigation, and other stations around the bridge. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-J

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:17 pm 
Damage Control

I would forget trying to find chairs and just make your own. Find any small plastic container that is light enough or just use stock plastic sheets from a train/hobby shop, cut the shape and glue to a round base. Now all you need is a stem and a base to attach that to. The seat can me painted prior to assemby, you can cover it with black painter's tape or black sculpy for that cushioned look.

Once you print out the brigde and attach to foamboard, punch small holes where some buttons and readouts go, when assembling the computer console area, leave room to lay out some lights. You can put transparencies of different colors to show the console being lit, same with the computer screens in back, print out on clear transparencies and attatch it from the back or front, if you do the front, make a small frame that can go around it so it looks like a real monitor screen.

A good guide and easy stickers are the TOS BRIDGE MODEL, its perfect for 2 inch minimates but you can enlarge the stickers and use them for detailing your dio.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:28 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

I have a punch out book of the STTMP bridge. I think I uploaded it to my Trek Yahoo group, will have to go check when I have time. It comes with paper figures of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Decker, Ilia, and Scotty, that are 2 3/4" tall. The mego figures are 3 3/4" tall. I have the enlargement formula written down, I just don't have enough money for that many color copies.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:57 pm 
shirtless hugger

TRISTAN wrote:

Found the shots, enjoy.

DUDE! That would've been awesome! I am sad now...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:49 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

I remember being awed at those pics since I am a fan of TOS more than any other Trek incarnation. I was also hoping that Playmates would release a Classic Bridge in a smaller scale after they announced plans for TOS franchise last year, which have since been placed on indefinite hold.

Cardboard playsets are okay as a last resort. I owned a Fortress of Solitude punch out book which subbed in for the 70's Mego playset (which was actually more like Hall of Justice) so I would give it a try. I'm still sorry that the 1990's prototype never saw the light of day, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:32 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Lt. Clutch wrote:
I remember being awed at those pics since I am a fan of TOS more than any other Trek incarnation. I was also hoping that Playmates would release a Classic Bridge in a smaller scale after they announced plans for TOS franchise last year, which have since been placed on indefinite hold.

Cardboard playsets are okay as a last resort. I owned a Fortress of Solitude punch out book which subbed in for the 70's Mego playset (which was actually more like Hall of Justice) so I would give it a try. I'm still sorry that the 1990's prototype never saw the light of day, though.

Do you still have this? Do you have a scanner?

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:15 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

The Fortress book? I lost it sometime during the Reagan administration. I have yet to see another copy since that one day in either Crown Books or Barnes & Noble.

I do have a scanner, so I'll let you know if I eventually find one on eBay.