Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: McFarlane Playmakers: NFL Series 1 Pictures!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:34 am 
We're going streaking!

UPDATE: MLB Playmakers Series 1 are out! I saw the whole assortment at Walmart for $6.97 each. That's $1 less than Gracelyn Replay figures and $3 less than a McFarlane Sports Picks figure.

I did not purchase any, as I am not a big baseball fan, buts seeing all three lines on the pegs, here are my quick thoughts:

- Sports Picks has nothing to worry about. At $3 more, these are still a bargain at Walmart... when McFarlane does them right.

- I was a bit surprised at how much smaller Playmakers are compared to Replays. I guess I forgot that Replays are 5", not 4", like Playmakers.

- It's hard to compare football to baseball, but Playmakers look to be a step up in quality from Replays. The PM sculpts are better and I think the articulation will make them more fun to play with as well. I think the V-hips will work fine with the rest of the articulation.

- In Playmakers, McFarlane made what looks to be actual toys! Whoa!

Finally, if I was McFarlane, I might gather a troop of employees with McFarlane Credit Cards -- or make a deal with Walmart -- to buy up as many Replays as possible and use them to make a nice, tax-deductible charitable donation to Goodwill or The Salvation Army. The biggest problem I see, initially, is that Gracelyn dumped their remaining stock of NFL Replays on Walmart, who has pegs full of Browns Braylon Edwards, Cowboys Zach Thomases, Lions Roy Williams, Chargers Ladainian Tomlinsons, Seahawks Shaun Alexanders... need I go on? The two Playmakers pegs had one overstuffed with Playmakers and the other holding the remaining PMs, along with overflow of Replays. I had to play toy department worker to move the Replays back to their own THREE pegs (now overstuffed) and properly spread out the Playmakers.

At least it is just Playmakers baseball versus Replay football, but if something doesn't happen to these Replay football figures soon, before McFarlane releases their Playmaker football figures -- and the Replays selling will not be the solution -- then McFarlane is going to have a problem on their hands.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:34 pm 
Infinite Hero

Just got back from vacationing in California with little opportunity to look for toys (I think I stopped in 1 Target in the last 10 days), and found Series 1 MLB Playmakers at Walmart.

Money's tight, especially after vacation, but I picked up TIm Lincecum. I may live in Ohio, but my sports heart is back in the Bay Area. Plus, I just went on a behind-the-scenes tour of AT&T Park on Saturday. I'd never had the chance to visit the park since moving to Ohio so it was a special treat.

Anyway, the figure is cool but I've got one, huge, major gripe: NO STAND!

Come to think of it, I don't know if there's even a peghole...(the figure is downstairs)

I have a few of the Gracelyn MLB figures, and these are a huge step up. Though articulated, the Gracelyn ballplayers were essentially pre-posed. TMP has given Playmakers a lot more useful articulation, if not always attractive.

Plus, Playmakers are smaller which is always a plus in my book!

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:16 pm 
Displays Backwards

Anybody seen Ichiro or David Ortiz in stores? I've never seen 'em, they seem to not be in the cases that TRU got.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:26 pm 
Infinite Hero

BCYa wrote:
Anybody seen Ichiro or David Ortiz in stores? I've never seen 'em, they seem to not be in the cases that TRU got.

I've got Ortiz. Picked him up at Walmart (where the figures are $2 cheaper than TRU). Haven't seen Ichiro.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:44 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I will be all over these if the helmets are removable and the hip articulation isnt that v joint.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:07 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Don't keep up with these but noticed that some players have two versions, ie - Jeter comes with either a bat or glove. They packed evenly like that or is one a chase?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:23 pm 
We're going streaking!

Cantina-Dan wrote:
Don't keep up with these but noticed that some players have two versions, ie - Jeter comes with either a bat or glove. They packed evenly like that or is one a chase?
I think all of the fielders are evenly packed either with glove or with bat. The pitchers do not have alternate versions, even if they pitch in the NL.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:13 pm 
We're going streaking!

NFL Playmakers are out. I saw two Tony Romos and one Mark Sanchez leftover at Walmart. They have their own little shelf holder/PDQ. I wanted neither Romo or Sanchez, so I have to wait to find a full batch before I buy any of them to test out.

Post subject: Re: McFarlane Playmakers: NFL Series 1 Are Out!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:22 pm 
Unbreakable

I saw the very same assortment at Walmart just after the reset. It was a pretty limited assortment as it only had Romo, Sanchez, Polamalu, Peterson and one other person i can't think of right now.

I didn't really want anyone they had to offer at the time but these look pretty cool.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:34 pm 
We're going streaking!

kevfett wrote:
I saw the very same assortment at Walmart just after the reset. It was a pretty limited assortment as it only had Romo, Sanchez, Polamalu, Peterson and one other person i can't think of right now.

I didn't really want anyone they had to offer at the time but these look pretty cool.

Oh. McFarlane must being using the old? Sports Picks yearly model where the back of the card shows the entire series for the year or something :? I might be interested in Peterson, but I don't really want any of the others either. I was hoping to grab a Drew Brees. Oh well, money saved (for a moment!).

Post subject: Re: McFarlane Playmakers (Jeff Cope, this is for you!)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:37 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

TRDouble wrote:
I don't expect there to be any Sabres either, unless Ryan Miller plays like a madman at the olympics and there is a series 2 or 3. Sadly, McFarlane has made it quite clear which teams are favored and which ones are ignored in the sports lines.

Which is why I am hoping these are successful. If they are, perhaps they can have expanded line-ups and diversify the teams represented a bit. I know it is getting back to Starting Line-Up territory, but in 2010 style, but at this point, I will take any Buffalo Sabres Starting Line-Ups compared to the basically zero Sabres I get now from McFarlane.

And just for the record, I am not hoping these succeed at the expense of Sports Picks; I do still enjoy the Sports Picks line!

Hehe, I find this funny, in retrospect! :D

Any picks of the NFL from anyone that picked them up? Are the helmets removeable? Thanks folks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:07 pm 
We're going streaking!

jakeeyes wrote:
TRDouble wrote:
I don't expect there to be any Sabres either, unless Ryan Miller plays like a madman at the olympics and there is a series 2 or 3. Sadly, McFarlane has made it quite clear which teams are favored and which ones are ignored in the sports lines.

Which is why I am hoping these are successful. If they are, perhaps they can have expanded line-ups and diversify the teams represented a bit. I know it is getting back to Starting Line-Up territory, but in 2010 style, but at this point, I will take any Buffalo Sabres Starting Line-Ups compared to the basically zero Sabres I get now from McFarlane.

And just for the record, I am not hoping these succeed at the expense of Sports Picks; I do still enjoy the Sports Picks line!

Hehe, I find this funny, in retrospect! :D

Any picks of the NFL from anyone that picked them up? Are the helmets removeable? Thanks folks!

Heh. Well, I still don't expect to see any Sabres Playmakers, but we are getting Ryan Miller in the SP line-up, so that's something!

I don't have any NFL PMs yet, but I do not think the helmets are removable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:25 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

TRDouble wrote:
I don't have any NFL PMs yet, but I do not think the helmets are removable.

Agreed. Looks to me that it is a sculpted, non-removable helmet...but how sweet would it be if they were?!? Thanks for the response.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:22 pm 
We're going streaking!

per Steve G. @ McFarlane wrote:
There are 4 playmakers that were advanced for Wal-Mart, Adrian Peterson, Troy Polamalu, Tony Romo and Mark Sanchez. The rest of the series can be found in stores in early September.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:45 am 
Unbreakable

Looks like I didn't see a fifth person. Which explains why I couln't remember who it was.