Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: McFarlane Playmakers: NFL Series 1 Are Out!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:00 pm 
We're going streaking!

I picked up a Peterson. First, as one who only owns some of the Gracelyn NFL Re-Play figures yet has seen both Gracelyn Football and McFarlane Playmakers Baseball mixed on the pegs, I was still shocked at the scale difference between the two lines. My Re-Play Tomlinson just TOWERS over AP!

After that, it is just good 'ol McFarlane sculpting that takes over, with everything in much better proportions than the Gracelyn Re-Play NFL figures. There is obviously much more articulation to a Playmaker (PM) than a Re-Play figure, with the former having, "Over 20 Moving Parts," as compared to 14 on a Gracelyn Re-Play NFL figure (or at least on my Tomlinson), and where they are the same, PM has more fuctionality in some of those points, mainly the knees (a well hidden double joint), wrists (actually a swivel forearm & hinged wrist) and shoulder (two points -- in & out shoulders connected to a one-sided ball-like joint for the rest of the arm). If they would have given these hinged hips, you would really have been able to get some good football poses.

With more points of articulation, there is the chance of more breakage. Many of the joints were tight, but they 'broke' free easily enough. On the right wrist though, the ball handling wrist, the pin either did not go all the way through the wrist or there is just a big gap. It still works fine, but this is the drawback to having more moving parts; more inspection and risk on our part.

Given these extra points of articulation, it is suspected that you can get the PM into more, better poses than a Re-Play figure. Well, you can get him into more poses. Not necessarily better though. While AP looks much more natural than Tomlinson in some poses (I can get my Re-Play Tomlinson into the Series 1 Edgerrin James pose, that's about it), that and a much more realistic sculpt is what really sets these apart (and scale). AP can be in full gallop cradling the ball (although, still not totally perfect holding the ball) while giving a great stiff arm. AP can get into some pretty neat cutback poses (more if he had more than just back & forth hips). 'Catching the football' poses will be a challenge and getting a natural drop back and passing pose was difficult too, mostly because of the inflexible shoulder pads, but defensive positions are fun and if TMP is wise enough to make some different body types and alternate uniform colors, these could really be a lot of fun.

And that's it. As a kid, I would have loved having these! As a kid, I would take my MEGO superheroes and anything else, toss on a (very loose fitting) bubble gum football helmet and have full games on the couch, using a football eraser, which was surprising in-scale with MEGOs. THESE would have been more fun, non-removable football notwithstanding. As an adult and a toy collector (not just Sports Picks), I still find an appeal in these. Not to the tune of buying them all, but I will pick up a few of these, just as I did the Re-Play figures. And I will hope for a more diversified line-up as well, since this first line-up is merely echoing recent Sports Picks line-ups (all of these have SPs or upcoming SPs).

Gracelyn Re-Plays had problems, many with the unfortunate luck that comes with making sports collectibles -- having players change teams before the figure hits the pegs. But having stands with Re-Plays was a nice touch; players, teams and positions were a bit more diversified (Mario Williams, Detroit Lions, Jeff Saturday - Center... 'nuff said), as were the uniforms -- throwbacks for Green Bay, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

If it isn't too late, this could be a nice start for kids who play with G.I. Joes to one day get into Sports Picks. The timing is right, since this scale is all the rage right now. They are made for play and can even interact with similar figures. And they are a WHOLE lot better than the old 3-Inch line, which I could not understand the appeal of any more than some people can understand the appeal of these. We shall see how these do in September when the lines gets a fuller rollout, but right now, the early Walmart release has sold well around me, usually with just one or two Romos and Sanchez left in the PDQ.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:17 am 
Wonderdog

I'm still waiting for LT, Braylon Edwards, Antonio Cromartie, and Santonio Holmes in Jets uniforms. If they do Jason Taylor, I might buy it just to set it on fire.

They should do a Darelle Revis sitting on a couch with a big gut and an empty money bag next to him. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:18 am 
We're going streaking!

These are starting to hit TRU. I saw both Mannings, Brady, Favre... and someone else, I think, along with the early bird Walmart releases of Peterson, Polomalu, Romo and Sanchez.

Oh! Jason Witten! That's who I forgot! $7.99 each. I passed for now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:30 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I was at a san diego TRU the other day and i picked up AP, Polamalu, Brady, and Eli Manning. Having bought 6 gracelyn replays in the past years (Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, Vince Young, Steve Smith, Terrell Owens, and original Vikings Randy Moss, who is back on the Vikings), the replays are totally taller than the playmakers. The articulations are great, and I can display the playmakers on the Gracelyn stands. But, something I've noticed is that the paint comes of as I move the body parts around, which isn't a much of a problem. i hope that in series 2 they can add more defensive players like Charles Woodson and Darren Sharper as well as some rookies. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:16 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Kind of related--

Found the chase version of Redskins Donovan McNabb (with Red Pants)- from series 23-- anyone interested for 20.00 + shipping-- there is some damage to the bubble but the figure is fine..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:56 pm 
Displays Backwards

Past the 4 "preview" figures I found at Wal-Mart, all I've seen from this line is 1 Brett Favre and 1 Jason Witten, both at TRU. I hope the distribution steps up a little bit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:16 am 
Wonderdog

Does Favre come with a cell phone?

/rimshot :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:56 pm 
Damage Control

Whatever happened to the Repplays? Did the company go out of business when McFarlane started to produce their own? I remembered they were planning on some suepr articulated figures last year but they never made it to retail.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:50 am 
We're going streaking!

Yes, I believe Gracelyn went belly up. Those new Replay figures were never released.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:41 am 
Resin

That's a shame about Gracelyn and the RePlays, because I thought they did a really good job with those. My main criticism about sports collectible figures over the years, all the way back to Starting Line-Up, is that they've never been articulated worth a darn. McFarlane Toys made some cool statues, but it was Gracelyn that finally brought in some decent articulation!

So now we have McFarlane's PlayMakers. I saw them at Walmart for the very reasonable price of $5.97 -- not a lot of action figures under six bucks these days -- and being a moderate fan of the NFL, I decided to bring one in. Picked up Adrian Peterson.

Overall, I'm impressed. The sculpt is good, the details are extremely well painted (can I get a microscope for those tiny little NFL logos, please?), and the articulation is superb, even if I think the legs may be a little over-engineered. About the worst complaint I'd have is something I have encountered on McFarlane Toys before -- a couple of stuck parts.

And the scale is good. Slightly over 4". Certainly a common enough scale these days, so in theory, these figures would work well with other action figure lines -- assuming you can think of a good reason why an NFL player would be on the Tron Game Grid, throwing a pass to a Battle Droid, rushing against Spider-Man, or tackling a Cobra Trooper... :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:01 pm 
Damage Control

http://youbentmywookie.com/news/gracely ... gures-6392

These were the ones I was thinking of. I thought they were really nice especially with the removable helmets and the 6" scale. It's a shame they went belly up :(

I have one of the McFarlane ones and it's really kinda cheap with floppy joints.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:47 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

TrekkerGI wrote:
And the scale is good. Slightly over 4". Certainly a common enough scale these days, so in theory, these figures would work well with other action figure lines -- assuming you can think of a good reason why an NFL player would be on the rushing against Spider-Man,

Well you could always repaint him as superpro-- another bit of canon we can forget..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Superpro