Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: need some feedback on this please
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:55 pm 
Wonderdog

question : i you had created some cartoon characters and the writer that you had a meeting with asked for not only the title of (write / producer ) but ALSO wanted the title of ( Co-creator ) would you give it to him knowing that you are the sole creator of your ideas? what would you do? i need a little help on this one. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:17 am 
shirtless hugger

Need more info. If he comes up with any of the story he may very well deserve co-creator status. If he really has nothing to do with the story why do you need him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:34 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

I agree, this is very situational. If you were responsible for creating the likenesses and overall design of the characters, but nothing more, I would say you would have rights to the "character design creator", but that's about it. If ALL writing is coming from another party, that individual is also involved in the creation process and should also carry "creator" status. Not enough information to give you a good solid answer however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:45 pm 
Wonderdog

thanks, i have an animated series in the works and this guy was hired on as a writer, i supplied him with all backgrounds and info on characters etc.... i just think he was being a little greedy asking for 3 different titles as well as any possible merchandise. thanks for your comments guys !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:45 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

As I see it, you can either bring him on as a creative partner, sharing writing and characterisation duties etc, or you can just get him to work-for-hire, where he will only be credited as a writer and have zero priviledges upon your Intellectual Property. Same way John Bryne doesn't own Superman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:49 pm 
Wonderdog

yeah but wanting all that for just writing a pilot is kinda much i think dont you think? besides as i write this we have just gotten a writer this afternoon that will do the pilot and all he wants is a job with the project when it gets picked up by the networks, if it gets that far ( prays ).
but thanks for all the advice and comments i appreciate it alot guys thanks :D