Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE PLAYSET THREAD
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:22 am 
Tis' but a pup

Someday a Playmates scale NCC-1701...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:27 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Fat Valentino wrote:
Someday a Playmates scale NCC-1701...

Just the bridge? Any other parts?

I had a vision once, before Playmates took over the license and screwed up the scale, of an Enterprise playset like Kenner's Death Star, with the bridge on top, sickbay and maybe a crew quarters or 2 in the middle, engineering and the transporter room on the bottom, a working turbolift going up/down, and a fold out plate for the hanger bay. As Kenner has already proven, in 1/18 scale it can be done, but at Playmates larger scale, you saw the bridge alone was $50. The only viable playset for that scale was/is the Holodeck playset idea I proposed before. Done in 1/18 scale, what I will call the playset viable scale, all of the Trek ships could have been done.

CCC.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:43 am 

I would like an Arboria playset, from Flash Gordon, but without Prince Barin there is no point. Maybe a jungle playset for Prince Thun. Anyway, the parts for this already exist. Start with the Ewok Village, which was reused for Robin Hood, as the core, and add from the numerous forest/jungle playsets out there. The Dagobah stump could be used.

Another I want to do is Ming's Palace as a display piece for my set.

The Batcave is tempting, but everyone who has done Batman figures has done one. The Fortress of Solitude would be more tempting to me. Titan's Tower is more tempting now that I have DCIH Titans. Legion HQ, the original, is tempting too, as is one of OA-especially with the movie and the series coming out.

The Danger Room would have been a great playset, with all of those pop out "weapons" hidden all around.

Some of these could even be done modular and released with a figure like the YJ Hall of Justice.

CCC.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:33 am 

Here are some pics I grabbed from around the web of playsets I think would make a cool Arboria diorama playset. The only one I don't have is the Chap Mei Giant Treehouse, the site wouldn't let me have it and there were no other images of it, but if you go back a couple of pages there is a link to their site.

CCC.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:44 am 

Some possibilities for Mr. Freeze's lair.

CCC.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:56 pm 
Tis' but a pup

I experimented with Cloth and Glue Mache, and got some pretty good, if not terribly professional looking custom playsets. I made a Playmates 4.5" scale Romulan Bird Of Prey from "Balance of Terror" and worked on a Klingon Cruiser that I've since abandoned. I like cloth mache stretched over carved styrofoam because it's light and strong, but it's only suitable for some projects. I bet it would make a great Batcave!

As far as the Playmates Enterprise is concerned, I have two ideas banging around in my head. For the Classic TOS Playmates 4.5" guys, I'd like to make a playset in the basic shape of the ship, with the saucer acting as the Bridge, and the Engineering Section acting as a Shuttlebay/Engineering space, and a small transporter pad. Maybe even include one Warp Nacelle with a built in Jeffery's Tube so figures can slide down into Engineering from the top of the Warp Engine.

The other idea I have is for the 3.75" TMP guys, and would be to just do the top bridge module with Bridge, Airlock (maybe with one or two transporter pads off to the side?) and the Officer's Lounge in the back.

These are long term plans, and I'm working on projects in the meantime to try and learn the sculpting/moldmaing skills needed, but making big, professional looking playsets out of plastic is the master plan...

Check out GalacticPlastic.com for some customs and keep checking for more vehicles and playsets, because more's coming...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:38 pm 

Fat Valentino wrote:
I experimented with Cloth and Glue Mache, and got some pretty good, if not terribly professional looking custom playsets. I made a Playmates 4.5" scale Romulan Bird Of Prey from "Balance of Terror" and worked on a Klingon Cruiser that I've since abandoned. I like cloth mache stretched over carved styrofoam because it's light and strong, but it's only suitable for some projects. I bet it would make a great Batcave!

As far as the Playmates Enterprise is concerned, I have two ideas banging around in my head. For the Classic TOS Playmates 4.5" guys, I'd like to make a playset in the basic shape of the ship, with the saucer acting as the Bridge, and the Engineering Section acting as a Shuttlebay/Engineering space, and a small transporter pad. Maybe even include one Warp Nacelle with a built in Jeffery's Tube so figures can slide down into Engineering from the top of the Warp Engine.

The other idea I have is for the 3.75" TMP guys, and would be to just do the top bridge module with Bridge, Airlock (maybe with one or two transporter pads off to the side?) and the Officer's Lounge in the back.

These are long term plans, and I'm working on projects in the meantime to try and learn the sculpting/moldmaing skills needed, but making big, professional looking playsets out of plastic is the master plan...

Check out GalacticPlastic.com for some customs and keep checking for more vehicles and playsets, because more's coming...

I would suggest for your Batcave, use styrofoam, foamcore, or even cardboard. Start with a flat panel for the floor, back, and side(s). Cut more flat panels in the shapes you want and glue them on. Laid flat it will look like a terrain map. After you have your basic shape, use spackle/joint compound over it to smooth the surface, then sand. Old cardboard boxes-free, joint compound and putty knife and sandpaper and paint from Home Depot/Lowes, and if you happen to be a Veteran, take ID proof to Home Depot for a discount.

CCC.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:58 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Wouldn't it be cool to make a combination Wayne Manor with the courtyard/hillside/estate grounds on one side, and a full batcave with the various layers you suggest on the other? If I were to make a batcave, I'd probably incorporate the Dinosaur/Joker Card/Giant Penny and Robin Memorial, a big lab/computer center, and a BIG garage for various Batmobiles.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:01 pm 
Tis' but a pup

I'm all for bringing back the "Kenner Scale" for vehicles. As long as there is room for a few figures in a representation of the Bridge, I'll take a 16 inch Excelsior or Voyager! No problem.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:30 pm 

So what do you think would be good dimensions for a playset?

CCC.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:40 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Well, for the Enterprise type ships, I'd imagine you could try for three feet long or so. Maybe about the same rough size as the Big Millenium Falcon? Of course, there's a big difference in a ship or playset in the 3.75 inch scale vs larger scales. For Star Trek Art Asylum/Diamond Select or DC Direct/Mattel DC Universe playsets become unfeasable pretty quickly.

Here's a couple photos of the Foam and Glue Mache Romulan Bird of Prey from Classic Star Trek, link goes to my blog...

http://galacticplastic.com/2010/11/paper-cloth-and-glue-mache-is-the-new-plastic/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:02 am 

Nice. May I assume in these pics it is unfinished?

CCC.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:02 am 

Fat Valentino wrote:

I found this Batcave on Google.
Note how the commercial piece is incorporated into the larger design. My thought is to use this version.
Pull the pins and separate the mansion part and put it on top of the hill, then incorporate the rest of it inside of the hill.

CCC.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:12 am 
Tis' but a pup

Absolutely! And why not use some other dollhouses to flesh Wayne Manor out a bit, while you're at it? Give Alfred some rooms to dust...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:37 am 

Fat Valentino wrote:
Absolutely! And why not use some other dollhouses to flesh Wayne Manor out a bit, while you're at it? Give Alfred some rooms to dust...

Fisher Price has a line called Loving Family. Their best doll house out now is about $70. It would make a fantastic Wayne Manor. It is in perfect scale for DCIH, and Fisher Price is Mattel. You can google the above to see all of the various doll houses they have done over the years. I don't see why Mattel couldn't pull one of these out and save on the tooling costs.

CCC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next