Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How are nostalgia/retro/pop culture collectibles surviving?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:45 pm 
Santos L. Halper

The other day Funko announced ANOTHER line of small cutesy boxed figures to sell - Pint Sized Heroes...
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/new- ... -and-more/
These on top of their other brands in the category - the regular blind boxes, Dorbes, and probably the 3 or 4 others I am forgetting.
Not forgetting all of the lines of assorted plushes they release on top of all of that. The ARMIES of pop figures popping up EVERYWHERE!

Funko, Titan Merchandise, and other companies are pumping out these nostalgia/retro/pop culture collectibles at such a fever pace.
But is there a market and buyers for all of these? Are they not in danger or afraid of over-saturating the market?

I ask this because I live in a town with a closing Hastings. My store seems to be selling off everything at a pretty good pace...
EXCEPT for what is on the action figure, blind box, and pop figures aisles. They look as if they have never been went through or touched!! The store still seems to have a full stock of collectibles. Walls and walls of pops!! ITS LIKE THEY WON'T DIE!!! And the pop figures have been on some sort of sale non-stop this whole year!
Granted, everyone might just be thinking the exact same thing I am and waiting till it gets closer to 40-50% off.
Or is the stuff too overpriced for people to make impulse buys of these anymore?
Are companies overestimating the demand for these things?
Or am I just getting old and seeing the piles and piles of junk that will be adorning Goodwill in a few years?
There is SO MUCH. How is it selling? How is it selling so well that companies can keep slamming this stuff out?

DrGreenEvil

Post subject: Re: How are nostalgia/retro/pop culture collectibles survivi
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:09 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I'm going to claim I understand the market for these things but I work in a warehouse that distributes Pop!s and Dorbz and other Funko stuff to record and video stores and ships product direct to customers for Walmart, Target and pretty much every other major (and minor) retailer and I'm amazed at the amount of stuff I see go out of there every day and I know I'm just seeing a fraction of what passes through there. Whenever I get to the back of the building where they process incoming product there are as many as a dozen pallets of Funko stuff (obvious because of the Funko branded shrink wrap around them) waiting to placed in the racks for picking. I know we're not the only ones distributing the stuff but this company has big expectations for that segment planning to move over $500,000 this year.

Speculation on my part is that I think a lot of Funko's success is based on quick turn-around and not keeping anything but the most popular characters in production for any amount of time. One run and it's gone for most of the stuff.