Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: So I'm looking for some suggestions.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:10 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Being the huge child I am, I love my action figures. Over the years, however, between various moves and whatnot, my inventory has dwindled, and all I really have left are my G.I.Joes. That's not a problem, they're my favorite. Now, my son and I happen to enjoy medieval toys more than anything, and we typically give the joes swords and the like to knock the tar out of each other with.

But we'd like to increase our stock. I haven't a clue what toys are of good quality these days, and I don't have nearly enough time to start searching. I was hoping someone here could toss a few suggestions my way. Preferably fantasy and medieval themed toys, monsters and people with melee weapons. If they were close to the size of the smaller gi joes too, that would also be great, though a couple inches higher is fine. But most of all, the hardest thing to find for me, is that we need the toys to have very mobile limbs. Again, the joes seem to be a good base for that. They're generally very easy to get into the positions we want. And obviously, they would need to be somewhat durable. My son likes to play Dragonball Z with them sometimes, which involves a lot of clobbering.

So that's all. Thank you to anyone for reading this, and thank you for any suggestions.

Edit: fixed a typo; melted became melee

These visual confirmations are annoying. I don't know superheroes very well.

Last edited by CRTFTW on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: So I'm looking for some suggestions.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:07 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Although the kickstarter is over, I think these are getting close to shipping, and you will be able to order them.. A little pricey- but seem to be what you are kind of looking for..

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/81 ... on-figures

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:36 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

stewbacca wrote:
Although the kickstarter is over, I think these are getting close to shipping, and you will be able to order them.. A little pricey- but seem to be what you are kind of looking for..

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/81 ... on-figures

Now see, these are perfect, just the sort of thing we would want. But with the kickstarted over, I don't think we can order them now. Will they open for sale on their website, or did I miss my chance?

Really love that suggestion though! Keep them coming!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:32 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

The Four Horsemen have a line that they should be doing a Kickstarter for probably around Toy Fair time that is in the same vein called Mythic Legions. They showed them off for the first time during Toy Fair last year...

Mind you, those are 2-up prototypes and custom designs using those sculpts, not necessarily what will the final product will look like (full show gallery here)

The line is planned to be in 4 inch scale with the Glyos joint system (like their Outer Space Men and Power Lords figures) so you can mix-and-match to build the figures how you want them. The line is supposed to be based around armies and troop building more than individual characters and is probably not as intricate as the armor pieces Boss Fight did with their figures but still enough that you could make some very individualized troops. They've also said that as time goes on they plan to make ancient warriors, wild west, futuristic, modern - basically all eras of real and fantasy troops.

They had planned on doing the Kickstarter this year but the Raven project kept falling behind schedule and they didn't want to start another until it was out of the way. They hold a gallery showing every year at Toy Tokyo during Toy Fair and I'm sure that's when they'll make the announcement of what they're going to do with them. They've already got a good relationship with the factory that produces Glyos product and this one is supposedly more "ready-to-go" than the raven was so it shouldn't take as long to get these produced once the Kickstarter is finished.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:31 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

CRTFTW wrote:
Now see, these are perfect, just the sort of thing we would want. But with the kickstarted over, I don't think we can order them now. Will they open for sale on their website, or did I miss my chance?

Really love that suggestion though! Keep them coming!

From all their notes and notices I believe they will be for sale somewhere-- I don't think they even ship until Feb. So after then..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:52 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hey guys, sorry to necro this, but it didn't feel right to make a new thread. I am still unable to purchase either of the great suggestions here. Either I can't figure out how to make the purchases, or they just aren't available yet. Does anyone have any other suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:35 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Another thing might be the Fantasy True Legends-3-3/4 Generic Toyline at Toys R Us... They may not be that poseable, but the accessories/vehicle scale items, like Dragons, 4 Armed Giants, Griffons, Wolves, Tree Monsters and others are really nice sculpts-- especially since most are under 20.00 per set. (and usually have a BOGO sale attached)

There are also Military, Ninja and Pirate lines under the same brand.. Worth a look at least...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:19 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

CRTFTW wrote:
Hey guys, sorry to necro this, but it didn't feel right to make a new thread. I am still unable to purchase either of the great suggestions here. Either I can't figure out how to make the purchases, or they just aren't available yet. Does anyone have any other suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated!

Mythic Legions is supposed to Kickstarter in the next week or so but the scale has been changed to 6" (they said the price difference between 4" and 6" was only going to be a couple of dollars so they went with the bigger scale) though they haven't ruled out 4" completely for the future.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:48 am 
5th Horseman

I just wanted to double up on what stewbacca said - those True Legends sets at Toys R Us are great. The figures are meh, but the dioramas, castles, and monsters are terrific, and priced right.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:49 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hi Fantasy/Medieval figures are some of my favorite as well and there are some good options in the 1:18 scale.
Boss Fight figures probably won't be for sale to the general public until this summer.
There are some links here to an archive that can help you in your search

Chap Mei/True Legends are some good figures. They usually have decent sculpts but usually only 5 poa or less.
Ebay would be your best option for some of the older Chap Mei lines and True Legends can be found at Toys R Us

Some older lines that might also work for you are:
Chronicles of Narnia
The Hobbit
Assassins Creed

There are also some good static figures from Schleich, Safari, BBI etc...

Some other good ideas would be to search for
Knights
Orcs

You can also do some category searches but they don't really work perfectly yet
Mythical
Fantasy

let me know if these help.

1:18 Action Figure Archive and Checklist