Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: which funko POP figures do you own?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:08 am 
MINT!

I don't own many modern toys but even I bite the bullet on some of these. I have Groot and gave out vegas Elvis as a gift. With all the properties funko has and their own unique style they are the closest thing to what Mego was.

Post subject: Re: which funko POP figures do you own?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am 
3 3/4"

We came back from Wondercon with about 30 new ones from a variety of properties. I think we got every single one that we were missing that was actually available at the convention. There are 4-5 new sets that are coming out in the next couple of months that we'll have to jump on as soon as they hit Amazon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:11 pm 
MINT!

Cephus wrote:
We came back from Wondercon with about 30 new ones from a variety of properties. I think we got every single one that we were missing that was actually available at the convention. There are 4-5 new sets that are coming out in the next couple of months that we'll have to jump on as soon as they hit Amazon.

30 at one show that's impressive. You should post pics of your collection.

I actually am not sure how many properties they have made. I just found out they made Biggie and Tupac. Some of the music and DC ones can get pretty pricey.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:27 pm 
3 3/4"

Smooth wrote:
I actually am not sure how many properties they have made. I just found out they made Biggie and Tupac. Some of the music and DC ones can get pretty pricey.

Here's the current checklist of figures, they update once a month: http://popvinyls.com/popvinyls-com-monthly-pop-lists/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:28 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Holy crap... I knew they'd made a lot of Pop!s but I had no idea that there had been that many or that many exclusives...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:44 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Yeah and now funko is trying to do the same thing with keychains, Hikari Vinyl, mystery mates, retros, and those team ups with Vinyl Sugar..

I forsee a huge nerd crash coming as each line just thins out the buyers more each time .. (especially with the wholesale rates climbing)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:30 pm 
3 3/4"

stewbacca wrote:
Yeah and now funko is trying to do the same thing with keychains, Hikari Vinyl, mystery mates, retros, and those team ups with Vinyl Sugar..

I forsee a huge nerd crash coming as each line just thins out the buyers more each time .. (especially with the wholesale rates climbing)

I was at the panel with Jason and Daniel at Wondercon and my wife wanted to ask a question. With the absurd rise in prices from most toy lines, why is it that Funko Pops aren't going up at all? They're the same price today as they were last year. You're not getting less quality, you're not getting less for your money, it's the same thing that it always was, for the same cost that it always was. I didn't pay more than $10 for a standard Funko Pop at Wondercon, last year or this year. How many other toy lines can you say that about?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:14 am 
MINT!

Cephus wrote:

I was at the panel with Jason and Daniel at Wondercon and my wife wanted to ask a question. With the absurd rise in prices from most toy lines, why is it that Funko Pops aren't going up at all? They're the same price today as they were last year. You're not getting less quality, you're not getting less for your money, it's the same thing that it always was, for the same cost that it always was. I didn't pay more than $10 for a standard Funko Pop at Wondercon, last year or this year. How many other toy lines can you say that about?

Well if you remember the first Funko bubble bursted with wacky wobblers. The popular characters can be resold for $10 but nobody will pay $300 for exclusives anymore. They are a nice novelty but I'm not paying $200 for Green Arrow or $80 for Biggie. But I sure as hell would have brought them in the stores if I saw them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:44 am 
3 3/4"

Smooth wrote:
Cephus wrote:

Well if you remember the first Funko bubble bursted with wacky wobblers. The popular characters can be resold for $10 but nobody will pay $300 for exclusives anymore. They are a nice novelty but I'm not paying $200 for Green Arrow or $80 for Biggie. But I sure as hell would have brought them in the stores if I saw them.

But the excuse is the cost of oil, which affects Funkos as much as any other action figure. There's actually a lot more plastic in most Funkos than in most other action figures. So why are Funkos cheap and the others expensive? I don't know that anyone is willing to attempt to answer that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:27 am 
MINT!

Cephus wrote:

But the excuse is the cost of oil, which affects Funkos as much as any other action figure. There's actually a lot more plastic in most Funkos than in most other action figures. So why are Funkos cheap and the others expensive? I don't know that anyone is willing to attempt to answer that.

You would have to ask a company accountant that. $10 for a 3 3/4 toy isn't overly cheap. I'm more surprised how they get all their licenses. Star wars and WWE arent easy properties to obtain. There was a kickstarter fund for Lovecraft figures then Funko quietly released Cthulhu. I'd love to see a Columbo pop unlikely but I think they would be the company to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:51 am 
3 3/4"

Smooth wrote:
You would have to ask a company accountant that. $10 for a 3 3/4 toy isn't overly cheap. I'm more surprised how they get all their licenses. Star wars and WWE arent easy properties to obtain. There was a kickstarter fund for Lovecraft figures then Funko quietly released Cthulhu. I'd love to see a Columbo pop unlikely but I think they would be the company to do it.

These aren't 3 3/4" figures, I don't think, I don't have one close to measure, but they certainly are much, much thicker than any standard figure out there. Find me any 3 3/4" figures out there that are going for less than $10 today, most are $15-20 or more. Like you say, all of these licenses aren't easy, or cheap, to obtain and they have to buy a lot of them so there's no blaming licensing for the cost of most figures. Cthulhu just so happens to be public domain so anyone can make it, but they're putting out X-Files, Arrow, Flash, Orphan Black and many other brand new licenses, yet maintaining their pricing. If they thought they could make some money on Columbo, I'm sure they'd do that too, they don't seem to have a problem putting out any license they think will sell.

So we come back to the elephant in the room, if Funko can do it, why can Mattel and Hasbro not? None of their excuses work because Funko is doing more with less and certainly seems very successful.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:34 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I'm going to offer up a few possibilities on how they can do it... First one is a big one, most of these things are EVERYWHERE... Walmart, Target, TRU, Walgreens, Barnes & Noble, Spencers, Hot Topic - they have to power of volume sales on their side. They aren't being marketed as toys, they're marketing them as a novelty item to everyone. Second, they've only got one point of articulation- not a great deal of engineering that's going to take. Third, one point of articulation makes for simple molds and quick assembly. Fourth, paint operations are going to be faster/easier painting two pieces than the six pieces that make up a 5 POA figure even taking into consideration the size difference.

I think it really boils down to volume sales and being a much less labor intensive product. The simplicity also allows them to get new product to market much, much faster than an action figure that going to require engineering and safety checks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:43 pm 
3 3/4"

Jim_Abell wrote:
I'm going to offer up a few possibilities on how they can do it... First one is a big one, most of these things are EVERYWHERE... Walmart, Target, TRU, Walgreens, Barnes & Noble, Spencers, Hot Topic - they have to power of volume sales on their side. They aren't being marketed as toys, they're marketing them as a novelty item to everyone. Second, they've only got one point of articulation- not a great deal of engineering that's going to take. Third, one point of articulation makes for simple molds and quick assembly. Fourth, paint operations are going to be faster/easier painting two pieces than the six pieces that make up a 5 POA figure even taking into consideration the size difference.

I think it really boils down to volume sales and being a much less labor intensive product. The simplicity also allows them to get new product to market much, much faster than an action figure that going to require engineering and safety checks.

So it shouldn't be long until regular action figures get down to 1 POA, considering how things are going lately. I have no idea how Funko does the paint application, I'd almost say it's molded out of different color plastics because it looks perfect every time. Not like the paint application for most action figures, which looks like it was done by a 95-year old crosseyed Chinese grandmother. It's funny how most action figure makers claim that it's all about the cost of oil, yet have no real answers how another company can produce a much superior end-product that uses far more plastic, much cheaper. I know Funkos sell much better than most action figures, the question is, what are action figure manufacturers doing so wrong that Funko is apparently doing right?

I think there's a lot more to the story than we're being told.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:21 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Cephus wrote:
So it shouldn't be long until regular action figures get down to 1 POA, considering how things are going lately. I have no idea how Funko does the paint application, I'd almost say it's molded out of different color plastics because it looks perfect every time. Not like the paint application for most action figures, which looks like it was done by a 95-year old crosseyed Chinese grandmother. It's funny how most action figure makers claim that it's all about the cost of oil, yet have no real answers how another company can produce a much superior end-product that uses far more plastic, much cheaper. I know Funkos sell much better than most action figures, the question is, what are action figure manufacturers doing so wrong that Funko is apparently doing right?

I think there's a lot more to the story than we're being told.

Actually if you consider Skylanders, Infinity and Amiibo we're already down to zero POA. Yes, there is an electronic component to those but they're a quarter the size of a POP and still cost more. Even Funko's other products don't compare to the value. The Mystery Minis range from $6 to $8 from what I've seen and they're much smaller and I think I paid $5 for a mini-POP at Target.

As for paint apps, yeah, POPs shine in that regard. I'm going to put that to volume, again. They make enough of them that paint masks become more cost effective. Fewer pieces, fewer masks, fewer paint passes than something with multiple points of articulation. As for the 95 year old grandmother reference, you know... that may actually be the case. I remember years ago seeing photos and video of a factory painting Spawn figures (way back before McF started making nothing but statues) and there was a small group of women sitting around with bins of parts. Most had three paintbrushes in one hand (looking much like Wolverine's claws) and they would paint the pieces freehand by just twisting their hand around to make the proper swipe with a certain color brush then twisting it again to make the next swipe with the next color. It's a production line, they have to get it done fast. It's not like a customizer who can spend however long it takes to get each paint app perfect. Even upping the cost doesn't necessarily help with that as some of the Ravens I just got from the Horsemen have some of that mass-market slop on them as well.

As for the cost of oil, yeah, that one is the elephant in the room. But I ask you this, other than the price of gasoline, oil and that sort of petroleum product do you really see a drop in prices on other oil based product? I don't. I go into Dollar Tree every couple of months and wander around for a hour or so just looking for things to repurpose, cleaning items I don't feel guilty about making "disposable" or just things that you can't find anywhere else. Over the last couple of years the amount and types of product they carry has dwindled considerably. Last couple of times I was in there at least a quarter of the shelves/pegs were bare (some of that may have to do with the dock strikes, though...). Another example is plastic storage. The stuff I see in Walmart and Target for food storage or the plastic bins hasn't had a price drop, either, and that's really simple stuff with no articulation or paint apps.

I do agree with you that there's more than we're being told, but that goes for pretty much any industry, not just toys.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:44 pm 
3 3/4"

Jim_Abell wrote:
Actually if you consider Skylanders, Infinity and Amiibo we're already down to zero POA. Yes, there is an electronic component to those but they're a quarter the size of a POP and still cost more. Even Funko's other products don't compare to the value. The Mystery Minis range from $6 to $8 from what I've seen and they're much smaller and I think I paid $5 for a mini-POP at Target.

But you do see, say, the ReAction figures going for $10 or less. They are, indeed, smaller than a Pop! but they are still less than the majority of action figures coming out of Hasbro and Mattel. So why can Funko make a 5 POA action figure, certainly with a smaller fan base than the ones Hasbro and Mattel are putting out, and still charge less than Hasbro and Mattel do? We're not talking about run size here, there has to be something fundamentally different in the way Funko does business.

Quote:
As for paint apps, yeah, POPs shine in that regard. I'm going to put that to volume, again. They make enough of them that paint masks become more cost effective. Fewer pieces, fewer masks, fewer paint passes than something with multiple points of articulation. As for the 95 year old grandmother reference, you know... that may actually be the case. I remember years ago seeing photos and video of a factory painting Spawn figures (way back before McF started making nothing but statues) and there was a small group of women sitting around with bins of parts. Most had three paintbrushes in one hand (looking much like Wolverine's claws) and they would paint the pieces freehand by just twisting their hand around to make the proper swipe with a certain color brush then twisting it again to make the next swipe with the next color. It's a production line, they have to get it done fast. It's not like a customizer who can spend however long it takes to get each paint app perfect. Even upping the cost doesn't necessarily help with that as some of the Ravens I just got from the Horsemen have some of that mass-market slop on them as well.

I find it hard to believe that they have that kind of volume for all of their various and sundry lines though. You don't think soccer moms are buying more Wolverine figures off the pegs than Funko is producing their smaller, less popular figures? Or their exclusives? How many exclusives do we think Hot Topic is really moving? More than Batman? I think not.

Quote:
As for the cost of oil, yeah, that one is the elephant in the room. But I ask you this, other than the price of gasoline, oil and that sort of petroleum product do you really see a drop in prices on other oil based product? I don't. I go into Dollar Tree every couple of months and wander around for a hour or so just looking for things to repurpose, cleaning items I don't feel guilty about making "disposable" or just things that you can't find anywhere else. Over the last couple of years the amount and types of product they carry has dwindled considerably. Last couple of times I was in there at least a quarter of the shelves/pegs were bare (some of that may have to do with the dock strikes, though...). Another example is plastic storage. The stuff I see in Walmart and Target for food storage or the plastic bins hasn't had a price drop, either, and that's really simple stuff with no articulation or paint apps.

I'm not talking about price drops, I'm talking about constant price increases. Mattel and Hasbro have them. Funko apparently does not. Mattel and Hasbro keep making excuses about the cost of oil. Funko does not. If oil was really a serious factor, you'd see all of them raising prices but we don't. They also make the same excuse, that it's too expensive to make new molds, as a reason for limiting how many new figures are in any given wave. Funko doesn't have that problem. They rarely do repaints. Most figures are unique.

Quote:
I do agree with you that there's more than we're being told, but that goes for pretty much any industry, not just toys.

So that brings us back to the question at hand, what is it that Funko is doing that Mattel and Hasbro are completely failing to do, especially since Mattel and Hasbro have their toys in many more retail outlets than Funko does. Where are Mattel and Hasbro failing? The collector world wants to know.