Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2018 Mythic Legions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:17 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

The first of this year's con-(non)exclusives...

http://www.sourcehorsemen.com/?p=4271

Love the Cringer homage (probably the closest we'll ever get to a real Thunder Battle Cat figure...) but not so sold on the Evil-Lyn one... Something about it just doesn't seem right... I think it's the dark, dark color of her outfit that isn't setting right with me...

(...and does anybody else want one of those Halfnon figures?... Completely silly "in world" but damn if those colors don't look cool split down the middle... Kinda makes me hope that one of the other con figures for the year is a Harley homage...)

Post subject: Re: 2018 Mythic Legions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:36 pm 
active in the community

Not my favorite wave, top to bottom, but a couple of gems.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:13 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Just figured it would be faster to copy my post from the Horsemen's board...

Quote:
I'm imagining Adamonn riding into battle piggyback on Cowarrus...

My thoughts on everything...

To start off with, I think they all look good as Horsemen stuff most always does. The biggest problem I have with everything in the line, as much as I love it, is that I don't have any reference or attachment to these characters like I do with their MOTUC and DC work so the designs and coloration often have to grow on me

Cowarrus -- looks pretty good even if perhaps a bit too bright... too bad there isn't a "furry" body as he sort of looks like he's been waxed from the neck down except for his tail...
Malynna -- the yellow skin isn't a problem for me, it's the bright blue. I know it matches the vintage toy but, dang, is that bright...

Fury Clan Orc -- not bad but I'm surprised there still isn't a female dark orc...
Veteris -- I agree with what Jo said above about the arms, the coloration is just way too close of a match to the armor...

Ragna Stormforger -- I've never been a big fan of dwarves so I'm really not a good one to discuss much though I think it might be helpful if there were photos of her next to other dwarves and full-size figures to get a better idea of what her size is really like...
Shadow Elf Ranger -- nice looking figure, if I really had to complain about anything I think it would be the use of brown for the leather parts instead of black...

I'm also curious about if/which extra heads these may come with. For example, Cowarrus without the neck extension and tail and a helmeted head becomes a human gladiator in crazy war paint. Will the orc come with an unhelmeted head?... A different helmet (or an unhelmeted head) on Veteris might make a world of difference in the way he looks... Will the elf come with the unhooded head?... Might Malynna come with a hooded head?... Has there been any talk of extra heads with these, yet?...

When I first saw that silhouette I thought maybe one of the homages might be to She-Ra. A She-Ra/Hordak or She-Ra/Catra pairing might be good for next year. Was also thinking about other homage possibilities... Also thought there might be a chance for the red riding hood character that was championed during the FanEx voting... Imagine a set of Mythic Legions not-Joker and not-Harley... or I remember a Superman story from the early 70s when he went back in time and became a knight with a full beard and blue tunic (of course the guys couldn't put the "S" on there like in the comic, but...) Anyway, just some thinking out loud -- maybe there should be another thread for this?...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:28 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I agree with most of your critiques, however, are these production samples or paint masters?

If they are paint masters the colors could, and very likely will, change by the time they reach your hands.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:14 am 
Loose, Missing Package

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I agree with most of your critiques, however, are these production samples or paint masters?

If they are paint masters the colors could, and very likely will, change by the time they reach your hands.

They are paint masters and I am hoping that the colors "even out" a bit (for lack of a better term at the moment) in production. Thing is their colors don't seem to darken like what happens with Mattel's factory on the DC stuff *but* it really is amazing how photos don't capture how much better so many of these figures look in person than in pictures (there is testimony after testimony on the 4H boards to that fact)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:16 am 
active in the community

Just saw a video posted on Facebook from Toy Con New Jersey; they've all moved into the must buy category for me.
Lord Veteris comes with an alternate helmet and looks so much better with it. Looks like Sir Gideon's, visor down with horns instead of wings.
Alt head for the Shadow Elf Ranger, as well.
The paint jobs look a lot better across the board. Definitely a case where they're going to be much more impressive in hand.