Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tron Legacy toys
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:43 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

JamesTheRogue wrote:
These figures are awesome, I'm going to start getting these.

I wonder how much they'll be worth in fifty years.

If that is your motivation for buying these figures I would suggest you save your money. As cool as the figures are, I just don't see them having much value 50 odd years from now. The way movie merchandise is handled in today's market so completely oversaturates that very very little of it has any long-term (ie. more than 5+ years) retention.

If you are buying them because you think they are damn cool figures, then Go Grab Them All Today!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:48 pm 
Cold-cast

What if I get each figure autographed by the actor who played that character?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:25 pm 
Hat Pooper

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
JamesTheRogue wrote:
These figures are awesome, I'm going to start getting these.

I wonder how much they'll be worth in fifty years.

If that is your motivation for buying these figures I would suggest you save your money. As cool as the figures are, I just don't see them having much value 50 odd years from now. The way movie merchandise is handled in today's market so completely oversaturates that very very little of it has any long-term (ie. more than 5+ years) retention.

If you are buying them because you think they are damn cool figures, then Go Grab Them All Today!

Oh, I don't know about that, but it's based on rarity and demand and these are being mass produced. Back in the 80s, my wife worked for a toy store and she picked up a ton of G1 Transformers on clearance. They were virtually worthless back then, she paid a couple of bucks tops for them, but when we sold them on eBay about 10 years ago, they went for between $300-$1000 each. Rarity and demand. Find something that isn't heavily produced and garners a serious following in the future and you certainly *CAN* make some money, but it's not something you can really predict and you'll almost certainly lose a bunch buying things at random, hoping they become collector's items down the road.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:53 pm 
Cold-cast

Hmm, something not heavily produced that could gain a following.

My intuition tells me Gormiti The Invincible Power Lords may fit the bill. These things are the vintage Monster in my Pocket of the future.

What about those weird Bakugan things? I've always automatically overlooked them, I have no idea what they are. Maybe I should get into collecting those as well. What do you think guys? Or are they already too popular?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:12 pm 
Unbreakable

Bakugan has been pretty popular with kids for quite a while now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:49 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Dude, you are really setting yourself up for a massive fail.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:25 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Dude, you are really setting yourself up for a massive fail.

I think we should all sit back and enjoy the ride..

Besides its clear hes doing his research-especially since Gormiti--(which can be had by the hundreds at any discount store)- is originally an Italian toy line and they are a worldwide toy that just didnt catch fire like they expected in the U.S.-- there are chip bag premiums and other things all throughout Europe. If you were even going to invest with this line- you would have to hope it catches on and you are able to find the current stuff overseas- and then sit on it for about 20 years-- maybe it will turn out a profit then-- (unless of course in that 20 years- they get water damage, or fire, or stolen.)-- Maybe youll luck out and have a supply of something like Laser Beasts in the Battle Beast line-- but I highly doubt it..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:55 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

The small figures look pretty cool, if a tad pricey for their size.

The movie has potential. I think the biggest hurdle faced by the producers was just how far CGI has advanced since the original -- something like 30 years ago. How do you create a computer world that looks modern and still has some connection to the original? AND still looks somewhat computerized given how realistic CGI can appear these days?

Based on what I've seen of the previews, they succeeded pretty well. I loved the original TRON, and while I'm not sure this sequel will quite measure up, it has more potential than I thiught it might, including getting past the technological hurdle.

I may snag some of the toys if I'm sufficiently impressed by the movie.

I urgently need work: Experienced writer/photographer/typist/data entry, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:20 am 
Fugitive Dust

I guess there is a series two, because there's a 3 3/4" Quorra and a Jarvis (don't know who that is) figure MOC on ebay!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:36 pm 
Infinite Hero

BraveBoldBat wrote:
I guess there is a series two, because there's a 3 3/4" Quorra and a Jarvis (don't know who that is) figure MOC on ebay!!

Series 2 is solicited in the current issue of Previews. No names or pics were given, so it's safe to assume these are from s2.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:53 pm 
Cold-cast

I haven't even got series 1 yet (I plan to). I hope series 2 won't come out until a few more months from now.

What about the batteries long term? If I keep these MOC do I need to worry about the batteries eventually corroding and leaking acid?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:45 pm 
Ferret Farmer

This is great and I just completed getting the series 1 figs. Now I'll need to pick up the two vehicles. Would have preferred seeing Quorra's face though. Wonder who the other 4 in the wave are.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:20 pm 
Cold-cast

I got Kevin and Sam Flynn today. Terrific line! The vehicles are especially awesome.

You know what I really like about these toys? They don't have a strong toxic smell like Hasbro's do. At least from what I can smell through the circular "try me" hole.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:38 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

JamesTheRogue wrote:
At least from what I can smell through the circular "try me" hole.

Just leave it alone...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:09 pm 
Wonderdog

I picked up a big Recognizer case at The Disney Store (it holds all the small vehicles).
It was $22. :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next