Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you keep your figures MIB or Sealed?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:11 pm 
We're going streaking!

Shellhead wrote:
LordMudd wrote:
AMEN! If it isn't open, I just haven't got to it yet.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's my philosophy.

But I do have a friend who often followed the MIB route and it has helped him out on occasion when money is tight. I'm a bit surprised at how much he can get some times, especially for SDCC exclusives. Fortunately, I haven't been in a position where I have to sell off pieces of my collection to make the rent! :|

MOC/MIB has certainly come in handy for me over the years! I don't know why I buy Sideshow Collectibles 1/6 scale figures because I never open them since I have no place to put them. But When I decided to stop collecting the SSC LOTR 1/6 scale figures, I threw what I had up on eBay around Christmas just to get rid of them and three of the four, all MISB, sold really well.

I will probably be doing a Christmas dump this year too, with some MOC stuff I no longer want thrown into the mix. (man, I just re-read that... :oops: ).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:00 am 
The Last Word

TRDouble wrote:
It has been the opposite for me, specifically in person -- I have encountered a lot more people who give me that crazy look when I say I am going to open up a figure. Admittedly, this comes from non-collectors as I don't really deal with many collectors off the internet. But I find that everyday people think that collectors keep everything MOC for value sake.
Oh, okay. I was referring specifically to the things other collectors will say, especially the ones who insist one way - their way - is the only "right" way. There was a lot of that on STAR WARS boards back when I used to follow that property closely, and I still see it on G.I. JOE sites. The point I was making is that it's a hobby, not a religion. There are no rules. People should just have fun do whatever they enjoy with it.

TRDouble wrote:
On the internet, I have probably encountered more openers than MOC'ers, but certainly not by a wide margin. On the McFarlane Sports Board, people are definitely more MOC'ers, but not with any attitude like Sports Picks have to be kept that way.
There were definitely a few over there that had an attitude about it, but this was several years ago. I have no idea if those guys even still post there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:19 am 
Daniel Pickett

I do a bit of both. I'm mostly an opener, but there some things that I just like to keep packaged and to have examples of on hand. The only full carded collection I have is Super Powers and 1996-2000 Star Wars (and I'd love to unload the latter).

I have a ton of stuff still carded by default because I usually don't open ANYTHING unless I first shoot it for the site. And I'm REALLY backed up on all of that!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:45 am 
Displays Backwards

I like to open my toys, but only if I have a place to display them. I had a great time opening and displaying my World of Springfield and Palisades Muppets collections.

If I don't have display space, they go into storage (until I get a bigger place). I don't like the look of carded toys on display. It looks too much like a toy store.

I've found that it's much easier to store toys in package. They take up more room, but the packaging provides a good buffer so figures don't rub against one another. And it makes the boxes lighter and easier to move.

JuliusMarx wrote:
The only full carded collection I have is Super Powers and 1996-2000 Star Wars (and I'd love to unload the latter).

Another good reason to store in package. I too have the Star Wars Powers of the Force/Power of the Jedi collection on card, and I'm thinking about getting rid of mine. Fortunately, there are several comic book shops in New York that buy carded collections.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:00 am 
The Last Word

GregNYC wrote:
I don't like the look of carded toys on display. It looks too much like a toy store.
That's actually one of the things I love about it, but it's not so much the idea of a toy store. Here's the explanation I wrote for a page on my site:

When I moved into my house, I picked a place with an extra bedroom that would eventually become my collection room. It took some time, planning, and work, but I eventually managed to cover the walls, creating something of a toy store appearance. It brings a different image to my mind, though.

When I was eight years old, the first contest I ever won was a call-in trivia game held during afternoon cartoons by a local television station, WCCB, which would become our FOX network affiliate the following year. Membership in the WCCB Kids' Club (which was free) was required for eligibility. While watching the animated G.I. JOE series, that day's question was announced: "What is the name of the villain in Thundercats?" Well, I wasn't a big fan of the show, but I knew Mumm-Ra's name, and after many, many attempts on previous days, I finally managed to get past that dreaded busy signal and give the correct answer. The guy took my name and information and told me I could stop by the station to pick out my prize. Assuming I'd be able to choose from a couple of Thundercats toys, I wasn't as excited about the prize as I was having won the contest. Besides, I thought, I could always trade a Thundercat for something more to my liking.

When my grandmother drove me to One Television Place, though, that all changed. Instead of showing me a couple of Thundercats figures, the man who greeted me walked me to a room full of toys from many different action figure lines. There were Thundercats, Transformers, Masters of the Universe, and others, all from the shows the station aired in its afternoon block. This was every boy's dream, and I was in awe. Once I managed to collect my thoughts, my eyes settled upon something I'd been wanting desperately, but had been without the opportunity to acquire: a G.I. JOE Zartan with Chameleon Swamp Skier. I picked it up off the shelf and asked the man if I could have it as my prize. "Sure," he said with a smile. I thanked him and clutched it against my chest all the way to the car. I not only got my Zartan that day, but also what would eventually be the inspiration for my collection room.

This is the result, although some of the 12" figures have been evicted to make room for Marvel Universe tenants.

I don't have a preference for packaged toys over open ones, and I actually own a lot more loose figures than what I have carded/boxed (like a lot a lot). I just like how the STAR WARS and 25th Anniversary G.I. JOE toys display in their packaging. Other than SW and JOE, only a couple of Mattel DC exclusives, some TRON reissues, the SDCC Dexter, and a red jersey Eli Manning figure are still sealed. Everything else that hasn't been opened will be eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Awesome story CC. Every child should have an opportunity for something like that in their formative years.

I agree the Zartan Swamp Skier was an awesome toy at the time (We used to spend days outside and in the creek making it jet around changing color in the sun .. :D ) and glad to see how much it was appreciated by the then young you.

However, after looking at your pics, I get a much different reaction. While yours is based on personal experience and therefore trumps any criticism I might wish to bestow upon it, I unfortunately feel that a collection displayed in that way looks much too ... sterile. Its like going to a museum. Amazing to look at, and a proud thing to be the owner of, but it just doesn't "work" for me.

Granted, you are one of the few people that always seems to see both sides of an argument even though you clearly stand on one side, and although quick to correct anyone's misinformation, you don't do it condescendingly (unless warranted) and you don't argue from personal bias.

I am glad you enjoy your collection. I would love to have that many figures all together in one place as well, but I would much prefer to have them heaped together on the floor as an aftereffect of the afternoon's battle, than to have them all sealed away and hanging for visual effect only.

Which is why I open 99% of everything I own, even if it never makes it to a "permanent" display.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:24 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Just re-read my post ...

kinda sounds all hallmark-y and "I have a crush on CC".

...which I don't.

...not that there's anything wrong with that ...

...I'll shut up now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:29 am 
The Last Word

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
However, after looking at your pics, I get a much different reaction. While yours is based on personal experience and therefore trumps any criticism I might wish to bestow upon it, I unfortunately feel that a collection displayed in that way looks much too ... sterile. Its like going to a museum. Amazing to look at, and a proud thing to be the owner of, but it just doesn't "work" for me.
That actually reminds me of something. A young woman with the Boston Center for the Arts contacted me about my collection earlier this year. She wanted to put it on display as part of an exhibition in 2011. They offered to fully insure everything and pay for shipping both ways, or even to pay me to transport it myself. Their plan was basically to create a copy of my collection room with the toys from floor to ceiling for their exhibition. It was nice to be asked, and all, but I had to decline. Not only was there a lot of work in setting up that room (enough that I doubt they'd pay what I would ask to take it all down and put it up again), but my collection isn't going to Boston. Insurance is nice, and all, but some of those toys were gifts. Others have memories associated with when and where I bought them. That means more to me than the financial value, and that can't be replaced.

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Granted, you are one of the few people that always seems to see both sides of an argument even though you clearly stand on one side, and although quick to correct anyone's misinformation, you don't do it condescendingly (unless warranted) and you don't argue from personal bias.

I am glad you enjoy your collection. I would love to have that many figures all together in one place as well, but I would much prefer to have them heaped together on the floor as an aftereffect of the afternoon's battle, than to have them all sealed away and hanging for visual effect only.
Which is all great. I was in no way attempting to make a case for keeping toys packaged vs. opening them. I have no interest in trying to convince any other collector that my personal preference is best for him/her. I was just offering a little insight as to what went into my decision to display them in this manner. If someone collects action figures solely to recreate scenes from Caligula, go for it. Whatever floats your boat. :mrgreen:

And if you could see that room today, you'd know that I'm in total agreement with you about having hundreds of figures heaped on the floor. :wink:

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Just re-read my post ...

...which I don't.
Well, now I'm just sad.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:17 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Caped Crusader wrote:
bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Just re-read my post ...

...which I don't.
Well, now I'm just sad.

Awwww, good thing the violins are already out. :lol:

CCC.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:16 pm 
Displays Backwards

Caped Crusader wrote:
That's actually one of the things I love about it, but it's not so much the idea of a toy store. Here's the explanation I wrote for a page on my site:

That was a great story. It must have been an amazing experience. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:58 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Caped Crusader wrote:
If someone collects action figures solely to recreate scenes from Caligula, go for it. Whatever floats your boat. :mrgreen:

You know, whenever my buddy cat sits for me when I'm out of town, he has a tendency to go into the toy room and pose just a few of my action figures in . . .

. . . compromising positions. :oops:

I never knew Sue Richards was such a naughty girl!

Or that Superman and Batman had such a close relationship!

My friend can be a bit creative with my figures. :oops:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:03 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

I wish I had a collection room...

Peace,

Chip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:07 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Still working on reclaiming mine.

CCC.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:24 am 
Cold-cast

Zartan's Skier.....

....worked great in the winter, on front steps, in the snow.

I was an opener then, and an opener now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:54 am 
Ferret Farmer

For the most part anything I currently get with few exceptions gets opened. I do keep the packaging to certain things though. I have a few movie/TV figures carded on the wall. Along with some older figures both opened and carded stored in the closest, due to not having enough room. One rule that I try to follow is that if the collection is going to be sizable and may contain vehicles then it's best to open and display them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next