Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Teen Titans Deluxe Feature Figures Review (now with pic)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:14 pm 
ABS

One thing you should know before we begin; I'm a huge fan of the Bandai Teen Titans line. If you're not, what follows may seem a bit hyperbolic. If you are, your ship has come in.

The Titans line being as important to me as it is, we're going to bust this out Crawford-style.

Today I received the first three figures in Bandai's new Teen Titans Deluxe Feature Figures line. Not surprisingly, Bandai went with the Big Three (or Big Boys) of the core Titans team: Robin, Cyborg, and Beast Boy. These are in the 5" scale and, in a complete about-face from previous figures, stress articulation and accessories over action features. In short, these are the Teen Titans figures (and indeed the DC Animated figures) you've been waiting for.

Packaging: * * *
As with past 5" Titans figures, the card fronts are individualized, but the backs are largely ads for the upcoming Communicator Battle Game. Odd, though these figures all come with character-specific card for that game. Back on the plus side, the colors on the front are great and there are no twisty ties involved in two of the three figures. Cyborg has a few.

Sculpting: * * * *
These are as on-model as any DC Animated figures ever made by any company, if not more so. The proportions are perfect; the details are all there. Robin and Beast Boy's feet are properly blocky; Cyborg's chest is nice and wide. Cyborg also features an added bit of ultra-coolness. The node on the front of his left shoulder flips up to reveal his searchlight. I was tickled to death over that, and it's a good thing it's there too because it makes up for the absence of Cyborg's sonic arm cannon, which I miss.

Want the best Teen Titans toy news you've ever heard? These three guys are in PERFECT SCALE with each other. That's right, it's finally happened. Beast Boy is about 5" tall, Robin's about 5.5" and Cyborg is a bit over 6". Plus, Beast Boy's a bit scrawny next to Robin and Cyborg is almost as wide as he is tall. Everything is right.

As if that wasn't enough, the recent 5" Slade is in near perfect scale with these guys. Slade's head is a bit small compared to the others', but he's a terrific fit, taller than Robin, shorter than Cyborg. 5" Red X, 3.5" Mas Y Menos, and, to a slightly lesser extent, 3.5" Gizmo look very good alongside the Deluxe Feature Figures, too. I suspect the upcoming 5" scale Speedy and Aqualad will be great fits, as well.

Paint: * * * *
I'm giving them four stars, but the paint jobs are not flawless. On very close inspection there's a small smudge here and there, mostly on the backs of joints and such, but there are no obvious flaws on any of the three of them. The only other nitpick would be Cyborg's shoulder highlights, which are only applied to the front half of his shoulders. But, given that the last 5" Cyborg didn't have these highlights painted at all, I'm not going to penalize this figure for having most of them. All of Cyborg's nodules are properly painted gray this time. His bionic ear is now gray too, not flesh-colored.

Articulation: * * * *
Heh, sensing a pattern? These are the most articulated DC Animated figures ever and some of the best-articulated figures of all-time. Robin and Beast Boy are a bit more articulated than their meched mench and feature the following points...

Neck
Base of Neck (forward/backward movement)
Shoulders (ball)
Mid-Biceps
Double Elbows
Wrists
Chest
Waist
Hips (ball)
Mid-Thigh
Double Knees
Mid-Calf
Ankles
Ankles (side-to-side)

...for a total of 28. Beast Boy also has cut joints at the mid-forearm, but they're basically useless since he has wrist joints. (UPDATE: Beast Boy does NOT have mid-calf joints as I reported above, but with the useless mid-forearm joints his POA count is still 28 :wink: )

Cyborg is no slouch, mind you. He's articulated at the...

Neck
Shoulders (ball)
Mid-Biceps
Elbows
Wrists
Hips (ball)
Mid-Thigh
Knees
Ankles

...for a total of 17.

All the articulation is tight and these guys can hold tons of action/fighting poses. Robin and Beast Boy's double elbows are a bit fragile, but less so than a comparably built Marvel Legends figure.

Tons of articulation and ZERO action features; told you these were the Titans figures you've been waiting for.

Accessories: Robin, Beast Boy-* * * * Cyborg-Zippo
Let's get Cyborg out of the way; he doesn't come with anything. I would have loved to have his sonic arm cannon, but it was not to be. Cyborg does actually have an action feature though; push the button on his chest and his head lights up. It looks ok, but is nothing special. The great news is the feature doesn't mess with his articulation and the head, though hollow, is made of a stiff, rubbery plastic, so the paint sticks to it beautifully.

Beast Boy comes with an action stand and three alternate versions of himself: a turtle, a snake, and a pterodactyl. The ptero can clip to his back and he can stand on the turtle to use them as accessories, but these are really just Beast Boy by other means. The snake, by the way, has three points of articulation, his jaw among them. As for the stand, the platform swivels and there a doll-stand like post and clip for "kicking action."

Think that rules? It does, but Robin's accessories are even better. He comes with the same stand as Beast Boy, but also includes a scarred, pitted breakaway door with Slade's insignia on it. Practice your "kicking action" on that! Also, remove the wall and connect Robin's stand to Beast Boy's for dueling/training action. Pretty awesome, huh? Well, Robin ALSO comes with two nightsticks, a three part num-chuks and a bo staff, all of which he holds perfectly. Also, if you have the previous Action Sound Robin 5" figure, then you also have a Birdarang, a Birdarang launcher and a Titans Communicator for this figure. That's a fully equipped Robin, brothers and sister. God help me, does it get better?

Fun Factor: * * * *
I'm a huge Titans fan; you've read the review. Need I even say how stupefyingly fun these things are?

Value: * * * *
I paid $11 apiece for these on Amazon. Double that would probably still be a * * * value for me, your mileage may, of course, vary.

Overall: * * * *
No brainer, no surprise. Until today, I would have said G.I. Joe Sigma Six were the best mass-market figures I bought this year. Not anymore. These Teen Titans Deluxe Feature Figures now have that honor, and are about the best figures I've purchased period in as long as I can remember. Only Mezco's comic Hellboy come close to touching them this year, but I love and care more for Teen Titans as a property so these guys are the clear winners.

Bandai, I BEG of you, keep this up. You MUST make Raven and Starfire for this line. (UPDATE: I'm told Raven, Starfire and Slade are on tap for Series 2. YAY!) Anyone else is gravy from there. A Monsieur Mallah/Brain 2-pack would be wonderful. A Gizmo tricked out with all his gadgets and weapons would be a dream come true.

I cannot wait to see what Bandai comes up with next, they are firing on all cylinders as of right now.

-JJJ

Last edited by JJJason on Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:46 pm 
Dog Squeezer

the only 5' teen titan figure i was lucky enough to find was red X, i havent seen any of the others =( anyone able to help me out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:19 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Wow!

Finally Bandai America does TT right!

Sadly with the show cancelled, I wonder how long the toys will continue...

SpyMagician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:52 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Thanks for the info! I wish the 3.5 figures were this on model.