Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Looks Like Jakks Has the Pirates 4 License
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:44 pm 
Infinite Hero

MTV Geek has a video up from Toy Fair 2011:

http://www.mtv.com/videos/interview/622 ... toys.jhtml

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:02 pm 
ABS

I work by a Disney store so I'm kinda hoping they have a big display on March 1st.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:38 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Just picked up 4 of the 5 first wave figures at TRU!

All but Angelica were there, and the shelf tag had "2/16" as the street date.

First impressions: Very nice. Fleshtones are molded not painted, but the paint apps are clean and sharp. They don't look as "dirty" as the Zizzle stuff, but should fit well enough together.

Articulation is similar to Zizzle but perhaps a bit better as Knees and wrist swivels seem be standard. I've only opened Blackbeard so far and he has no ball joints but the articulation is smooth and tight and he has a working scabbard for his Cutlass and a slot in the belt for his flintlock.

The black light reveal actually works really well and is a fun gimmick that doesn't really compromise normal display.

Really the only downside is there are a lot fewer paint ops and no washes, again making the Jakks POTC look a lot "cleaner" than the Zizzle.

I'd say it's a promising line!

Spy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:06 am 
Dog Squeezer

Okay,

Opened the rest so here's a few more thoughts:

Blackbeard: Definitely the best of the bunch. Better proportions than the rest and can store both accessories. Hat is removable but seems correct size, unlike Jack's. Blacklight details are not as numerous as some though.

Jack, Gibbs: They share the same legs and arms and the arms seem a bit undersized, while both heads seem a bit too big. Torsos and costume parts are unique so they seem like different figures despite the part re-use. Jack's hair is big and his removable hat seems big as well. Jack has by far the most black light details, with detail on most every part of his body, on the front. Gibbs is like Blackbeard, just a few details. Jack has a bet and bandolier for both cutlass and one pistol, and includes an extra pistol. Gibbs has a sword and pistol, with a bandolier for the sword. Pistol is the same across all figures, swords are unique.

Barbossa: Shares the same arms and one leg as Blackbeard. Coat and peg leg are unique. Downside is the peg leg and the crutch are both quite soft, still he can be posed to stand on his own. He alone has no weapon storage and all figures share the same hands w/ only the right able to hold accessories, so with the crutch jammed under one arm, he can at best hold 1 weapon at a time. He also is the only one w/ a non-removable hat, but this might help him as it keeps him from looking like his head is too big.

All in all I still like the line, thought once opened the proportions on Gibbs and Jack make them a bit less appealing.

Blackbeard is the must get of the 4 I have as he's a new character and the best executed figure.

Barbossa is quite good as well and such a radically different version that he's probably worth getting as well.

The part re-use is clever, though since they are using it, I would have liked to see some ball jointed shoulders as it would have helped the posing a lot.

Naysayers will be picking on the lack of paint and the "plasticky" look compared to the Zizzle figures.

Spy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:06 am 
Infinite Hero

Nothing at my TRU today :-(

Spy, have you compared them size-wise to the Zizzle figures yet? I'm curious as the Zizzle line is 3-3/4", and Jakks bills this line as 4" (and one Toy Fair rep on a video I saw kept saying 4.5")....

Congrats on the find! I hope they turn up here soon!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:12 am 
Dog Squeezer

Well, I guess you could get 4" if you measure to the top of the hats, but they're basically the same scale.

The eyes on Jack are almost exactly at the same level on both the Jakks and Zizzle figures.

Jakks Barbossa is a good bit taller than Zizzle, the eyes are about 1/4" higher and the top of the hat is a good 1/2" taller.

Jakks Gibbs is a similar 1/4" or so taller.

Blackbeard is maybe a 1/8" taller than Human Davey Jones.

Finally found Angelica. She's also about 1/4" or so taller than the first Elizabeth Swann.

So I suppose technically you could call the Jakks line 4" but in practice, they'll display pretty well as the range in heights within both lines is not exact enough to really make it an issue.

And I realize now why the arms on Jack and Gibbs seem a bit undersized! They the SAME arms used on Angelica!

Spy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:03 am 
5th Horseman

You know I wanted to like these but apart from the heads I think they look cheap, and I am not impressed with anything on offer here - I never collected the Zizzle stuff either however they did look better than these on the whole.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:30 am 
ABS

Glad to hear the 4inch line is good, I may pickup some of the collector line as well, after I hear some reviews.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:10 am 
ABS

SpyMagician wrote:

And I realize now why the arms on Jack and Gibbs seem a bit undersized! They the SAME arms used on Angelica!

I just went back and looked at the pics, and you're right, that's weird...and cheap,is it really noticeable?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:42 pm 
Infinite Hero

Man, I'm big-time jonesin' for these figures! I hope TRU and/or Walmart has these put out tomorrow! I've been checking TRU just about every day hoping some would get put out early, but no such luck! Hopefully tomorrow fares better!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:29 pm 
Dog Squeezer

BraveBoldBat wrote:
SpyMagician wrote:

I just went back and looked at the pics, and you're right, that's weird...and cheap,is it really noticeable?

Depending how you pose them I think it's an issue as the men have significantly larger heads than Angelica which makes the arms looks a bit scrawny.

I definitely think Blackbeard and Angelica are by far the best and Barbossa is good too.

So I guess the girl arms are a bit of an issue as rather than growing on me they've made me think the figures look really off. Such dianty arms and hands (which are the same on ALL the figures) give them the reverse effect of the giant Infinite Heroes Ham Hands! LOL!

Spy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:22 am 
Infinite Hero

Well, dang....nothing was out today :-(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:48 am 
ABS

What stores did you hit?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:54 am 
Infinite Hero

BraveBoldBat wrote:
What stores did you hit?

2 TRUs and 2 Walmarts.

According to info from Jakks when I interviewed them for AFi, Target is expected to get the figures until April and Kmart in May.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:58 am 
ABS

That's too bad, both my TRU's and Walmarts tend to be behind, so I was really hoping Target would have stuff March 1st as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next