Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What do you collect?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:03 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

It seems we are all into the same main toylines, but I was curious as to what else everyone collects here at AFI, and to what extent you - completist, hardcore collector, casual fan, etc. So I figured we all need a "what-do-you-collect-get-to-know-ya" thread here on AFI. This is not strictly toys, either - post any and all obsessions here! Love it, Like it, Over it, Looking forward to it?

LOVE it

DC Direct – I’m a huge DC fanboy, so this line is always at the top. Even with the recent issues with QC and character selection, this line is still one of my favs. I pretty much by any and all DCD figures.

JLU – probably the most “fun” line out there, maybe the closest we’ll ever get to the beloved Super Powers line. Really gets me in the “collect them all!” mindset.

Marvel Legends – some of the recent waves have been “meh” for me (Galactus & Sentinel BAFs notwithstanding) and the variants are always frustrating, but the upcoming stuff has my hopes high. These are the ones I let my son play with.

G.I.Joe DTC – this line has some of the best Joe product in years. I just wish we could have been getting single-carded Joes the whole time. Great time to be a GIJoe fan.

G.I.Joe Sigma Six – this line is a lot cooler than it seemed, I like the urban-vinyl styling. Really fun figures you can’t help but play with.

Hellboy – this might be the best line this year. Everything I could have hoped for in a Hellboy line! These are absolutely some of the best figures out there.

SOTA Street Fighter – the sheer amount of color variations are overwhelming, but these are some of the best figures out there too. I bought them all, and I’m just a casual SF fan too!

Corgi Batmobiles – these are truly awesome! These look great all lined up together. I wish they were a little cheaper, though.

Figure Factory – I'm hooked on these darn things now too, very neat-o.

Superhero Showdown – finally some Joe-sized superheroes! I dig 'em.

LIKE it

Spider-man Classics – I still get all the villains, but I don’t pick up the Spidey figures anymore. Just too much.

DC Direct 13" – still not quite sold on this line. I plan on getting the Superman and GL, but I’d hate to start collecting a line that would end after only 4 or 5 characters.

MOTU – still have the bitter taste of Mattel’s mishandling of my fav property from my childhood. As nice as they are, it’s really too bad the Stactions couldn’t be real figures. Still great for nostalgia though.

Transformers Alternators – I still get an occasional one here and there, but my space is really limited.

JLA/Total Justice - despite the extreme poses, I really liked this line. The character variety alone was fantastic, especially with the likes of Red Tornado and Atom. I only need a few more to complete this line.

Heroclix – I don’t have the time to play the game much anymore, but I love the figures. The cost keeps me from buying the new releases, but I do pick up figure lots on eBay a few months after each set is released. These look so cool all together on a shelf.

WANT it

DC Superheroes – can’t wait to snag these! Even with my concerns with the character variety, I will still be buying all these.

VINTAGE too?!

G.I.Joe RAH – still snag stuff here and there, but the cost of vintage figures/vehicles and space issues make it tough. Plus I have all my stuff from childhood, so there's not a whole lot more for me to acquire - just the rare expensive stuff.

Super Powers – been lazy with finishing this line, still need to snag Freeze and Clark Kent but my money gets spent elsewhere right now. But I still love to go read Toyotter's pages on this line.

M.A.S.K. – I love this great, underrated line but again the space issue prohibits me from buying these. But man are they fun to play with!

And I have a few other things here and there - Microman, McFarlane Sportspicks, some Sideshow props like the recent Thor hammer, some 12" Dragon stuff, various DC statues...and I also collect model trains, Sinatra memorabilia, vintage Chicago Cubs items and Norman Rockwell art books.

Man. I need a bigger house.
:shock:

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:50 pm 
shirtless hugger

These lists always end up depressing me. But here goes:

Sigma Six - pretty close to a completist on this line so far. Just love them.

Marvel Legends - started this late, have pretty much everyone I want. Getting disenchanted with the scale though.

NECA/SOTA movie figures - golden age for these, the wants lists that seemed out of reach when it was just Movie Maniacs now seem within reach.

JLU - love these. One of my favorite lines.

Comic Hellboy - Best toy line currently being produced.

DCD - Big pick and choose line for me. I don't hate DCD for not producing more of what I want personally, what they do make that I want tends to be well done.

Max Factory's Guyver - Fantastic figures but the price keeps me from being a completist. Skipping more figures than I'm buying.

Sideshow 12" - Don't actually own a figure of theirs yet. Star Wars converted me, LOTR just confirmed that I'm buying into this scale now.

SOTA Street Fighter - Excellent toys, choosing the figures whose design I like though - works out to about three figures a wave.

Star Wars 3.75" - Hasbro knocked this line out of the park this year. Saga so far seems less so, but only because of the amount of rehashes - the new figures are terrific.

GI Joe DTC - would buy more but I'm not too fond of a lot of their character choices so far.

Figure Factory - Love these but feel like I'm throwing my money away sometimes.

Superhero Showdown - gave these two series to sell me, and half the figures are awesome but half are really poor. At the prices they're sold for I will only buy the absolutely best ones.

Resident Evil 4 by NECA - Was down on these - until I saw them. Would SOTA have done it better? Probably. Still NECA did a great job on these.

Johnny Lightning Star Trek diecast - I love these, lots of fun, wish they'd come out more often.

DST Star Trek - Waiting on the TNG figures.

DST Stargate SG-1 - Same as above.

Toybiz LOTR - Started on this line, then a month later it was cancelled. So, yes, it was my fault.

3.75" Military figures by 21st and BBi - pick and choose, would buy more if they werent stuck in WW2.

3.5" Teen Titans - would buy them all if they were in scale with each other.

Various - a lot of lines I buy one or two figures when I see something I really want, but these are not lines I actively collect: BBi 12", Takara 12", SIC Kamen Rider, Marvel Select, Star Wars animated, Teen Titans 5", Plan B soldiers, Spawn, DST buffy, WWE, HALO 2, Disney Magical Collection, Mezco Realistic Scarface, SOTA Charmed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:01 pm 
Dog Squeezer

hoo Boy!

Toughie!

Well, I collect a bit of this, a bit of that.

My main lines are and will always be GI Joe (3 3/4"), Transformers (almost all incarnations) and believe it or not Pokemon (mainly Monster Collection mini figures, vending and candy toys.) Comics in general lead to a fair amount of toy buying (DCD, ML, and recently the Goon.) Star Wars is evergreen for me too, and thankfully the ROTS toys really brought the game up.

I'm a big Japanese toy fan with a focus on robots, live action stuff (Kamen Rider, Ultraman, Sentai) and of course Gundam.

Recently I've been on a renewed Kinnikuman and Ultraman kick, thanks to the PS2 Galactic Wrestling game and a box set of Ultraman Leo DVDs!

Other recently cool stuff has been the new Captain Scarlet toys (sadly UK only).

I'm also a wrestling fan. Longtime WWF/WWE fan though recently I've been marking out way more for TNA. Still TNA toys are just starting and the Jakks stuff has gotten so good that I still dabble in that (mainly Classics though the new Deluxes look real nice.)

Beyond that I'm a big customizer and love tinkering with toys in general, whether it be lego, model kits, miniatures or actual custom figures.

What I am NOT is a completist. I don't think there's a single line that I ever try to complete as it's usually too expensive and I'd rather just pick and choose the toys I like as the mood strikes me.

SpyMagician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:36 pm 
Wonderdog

well for me the list follows -
1. justice league unlimited
2. teen titans
3. super powers
4. secret wars
5. batman TAS
6. batman beyond
7. transformers ( old to current )
8. mego
9. marvel legends
10. thundarr the barbarian
11. space ghost
12. beast wars
13. masters of the universe ( old and new )
14 thundercats
15. smurfs
16. various restaurant premiums
17. star wars ( new and old )
18. droids and ewoks animated line
19. lord of the rings
20. spiderman ( pretty much all lines )
21. inhumanoids
22. she-ra
23. snorks
24. battle beasts
25. E.T.
26. xmen
27. universal monsters
28. hulk
29. marvel select
30. dc direct
i'm sure i am forgeting something hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:22 am 
Loose, Missing Package

This has been a fun read, I hope more people add their lists here!... Here's mine...

Star Wars (modern 3 3/4), I'm a completist as far as the figures go, unfortunately I've got a lot of holes to fill in from the last 3 years

Justice League/Justice League Unlimited, all of the 10" and the main and appropriate variations on everyone

Jim Henson's Muppets, I love this line, fantastic detailing, I've been real hit-n-miss on collecting this, though. I still need to go back and get a lot of the characters in their main looks

Total Justice/JLA, I think I got everything that came out in these lines except for 3 of the Warner Bros Store repaints

Star Wars Unleashed, a few more of these to get caught up, hopefully before the line restarts

Star Wars Galactic Heroes, these are the coolest and I've been a completist so far, but there are too many repeats on the way so I'm rethinking that...

Hasbro's Animated DC lines, I got the appropriate variations on the heroes and pretty much every villain right up until the end

Star Wars Bust-Ups, okay they aren't toys, exactly, but they are pretty darn cool except for the maddening amount of chase and variant pieces

DC Direct's Justice League and DCAU maquettes, still need 4 of those to be complete

DC Heroes Beanies, these were sold at the Warner Bros Stores back in the day... I have Supergirl, Batgirl, Catwoman, Harley and Ivy. I really wish I'd bought them all now and have been giving a lot of thought to tracking the rest of them down

G.I. Joe (80s/90s), I got into Joe hardcore when the original Star Wars line ended. I guess I should say that this was a former hobby as I eventually sold off most of my figures in the late 90s... I had somewhere around 500 unique figures when I did...

Spider-Man and Friends, still need 3 of those

Kenner's Dragonheart line is one of my favorites, just got the Draco and Bowen set to track down and I'm finished

Jurasic Park III figures, vehicles and playsets -- not much on the dinos, tho'... Here's hoping JP4 will be in the same scale...

I really liked Road Champs' line of small Robot Wars 'bots, I hide 'em in my Star Wars displays... ;-)

and I've got complete sets of Hasbro's Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter (except for movie Ryu) and Stargate lines around here somewhere...

I also get any figure of Mick Foley that Jakks puts out (well, since Real Scan began and I am missing two of those...) 'cause I look like him -- see for yourself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:01 pm 
Master of the Interwebs

My small collection focus mainly on 2 characters - Batman and Superman. So any Bats/Supes toy or figure that come out in the market, I will likely try to get a hold of.

I also have a Timm-verse collection consisting of characters from:
- Batman TAS
- Superman TAS
- Batman Beyond
- JL/JLU

On a slightly different genre, I also have a "stealth predators" collection :D

Wanna-haves:
- Batman and Superman Megos
- Batman and Superman statues
- that new Mattel Hal Jordan limited piece :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:04 pm 
Factory Worker

Well, lets see.... Sadly, i collect ALOT. I also collect some pretty off the wall things..... Well... Only a few off the wall things... I'll get into that last.

First off, let me explain something about me as a Collector. When it comes to figures, i'm not a "I need every version of a character" type of collector. I buy and display one version of a figure and pretty much leave it at that. I don't like looking at a shelf and seeing three dozen batman figures all in different outfits.

DC Direct. I currently have fiftey Five DCD figures spread out around my house.

Marvel Legends. I don't collect these like i used to anymore. I used to be a compltetist, but due to hard to find chase figures, weak line ups, and impossible to find series ( i still haven't seen a Hawkeye, or ANYONE from that line up in any local store ). that pretty much killed my interest in this line. I'll still grab the odd figure here and their if i like the character, and i still display them, but for the most part this line is dead to me.

Movie Maniacs by McFarlene. I Started with series one and Collected a heck of a lot of these figures. This was the line that started it all for me. If it was for that first Leatherface i never would never have started collecting in the first place.

The Odd, NECA or SOTA horror movie figure. I'm a die hard horror fan and buy the odd characters that i like that come out in their respective lines.

NECA's Hellraiser line. I have all of the first two series. I love these figures, they look great on my shelf.

Sideshow 8 Inch Universal figure line. I loved this line. It saddens me it died. My Holy Grail of Figure collecting is the Masque of the Red Death Phantom figure.

Outside of Action Figures:

I'm a huge Horror Movie and Film buff. I have over 300 DVD'S and the same in VHS.
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html? ... oody+thumb

Doctor Who. I have over a hundred episodes of Doctor Who on VHS in my closet.

Movie Posters. My walls are litred with Movie Posters. From Friday the 13th to LAbyrinth, to Cecil B. Demented.

I also have a small colelction of Horror movie autographs on my wall. Only about a dozen at this point.

The strangest thing i collect is Christmas Horror Memorobilia and Posters. I have almost Thrity Different Horror Films on VHS and DVD that all fall under that heading. Anything From the Silent Night Deadly Night Movies, to Black Christmas to some of the More obscure films like Christmas Evil and Don't Open till Christmas. On my wall have i Two Posters from Black Christmas and then an entire wall of Silent Night deadly night posters. I have a poster for each film except for Number Two. A Silent Night Deadly Night Two poster is currently my SECOND collecting Holy Grail. I also have some of the Silent Night Deadly Night films on Laserdisc even though i don't own a Laserdisc player. Plus i have Press Books from Silent NIght Deadly Night, Christmas Evil, and comming Soon Black Christmas. It's probably a pretty unhealthy obsession, but it makes me happy so that's all that matters. Every year on Christmas eve my Wife Forces me to watch White Christmas and I force her to watch Black christmas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:16 pm 
Factory Worker

Oh.... And i forgot to mention Comic Books. At one point I had a rather unhealthy comic collecting habit. it cost me a ton of money. I was collecting Most Marvel and DC titles. Now thought i've forced my self to pair it down to Five Titles a month. It got to the point that i was buying books with characters i didn't even like just because "I had to complete the Story Arc" or "the Crossover" or what ever crud it was that month. About ten years ago, before i met my wife when i was just a stupid kid out of high school living at home and working a very lucrative Construction Job i was spending around A hundred bucks a Week. It got really bad and i just couldn't stop myself. When my wife and i got engaged i gave up cold turkey and didn't start reading again for about five years. At that point i again quickly got in over my head, not as bad as before though. I'm happy to say i've been clean at five books a month for Over a year now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:22 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Bloody Thumb wrote:
Every year on Christmas eve my Wife Forces me to watch White Christmas and I force her to watch Black christmas.

:lol: That is awesome!! Very cool and unique subject.

I forgot to mention my comic book collecting too - I buy lots of current books only to read, don't really bag n board 'em anymore. But I still collect Silver Age DC books - mostly Justice League of America, Flash and Green Lantern. And other random titles with the JLA or JSA characters or crossovers on the cover. I'm somewhat of a JLA/JSA freak. :wink:

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:31 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

DC Direct

I used to buy everything that came out when they were just starting up. It was GREAT. Now it's more of the same every month. Even the ones I want (Kilowogg, Composite Superman) I pass on thinking I can get them cheaper on ebay but usually I just forget about them.

Dragon Ball Z

I bought all the reissued stuff as they came out here on Irwin's packaging as well as their new stuff when it came out. THe only new stuff that I lack and want is Porunga but like DCD I keep forgetting about him. If JAKKS would just send out new stuff I might be interested in it again but it's highly unlikely.

Justice League Unlimited

I buy one of every character. Awesome line despite the poor poseability

Teen Titans

Same as above. Small, cheap, and now more poseable. Cool

G.I. Joe

I was hardcore for this line growing up so I don't have an insatiable appetite for the line as some. Mainly I buy all the new cobras and new joes if they're coll revisions of the old schoolers.

Transformers

I buy almost everything that comes down the pipe except for the occasional repaint. It's a bit expensive but it can be easily spaced out since the majority don't get scooped up right away. Energon Ultra Magnus and Beachcomber are huge pains to find.

Marvel Legends/Spider-Man

I buy all the original characters as well as those I wouldn;t buy unless they had a body part for the BAF.

Superhero Showdown

I buy them but only look for the ones I need if I see them on the rack. Not on the forefront of my wanted toy list.

TMNT

I buy all the original characters. REALLY easy now that Playmates has fallen into the variant abyss. Nice, easy toyline to collect too since they usually go on sale for under five bucks at Wal-Mart plus older, harder to find figures get rereleased.

Mini-Mates

I just buy the ones I don't have when they are on clearance or there's a good price on ebay. I got a ways to go but I'm in no hurry.

Hellboy

THis looks like a line I can really sink my teeth into if it wasn't for the price. I'm not too keen on paying 10 to 15 bucks a pop. I managed to find Liz and Lobster for 8 bucks at Tower. Now all I need to do is find Kriegaffe and wait for the next series.

Mega Man

Not the main line but the Retro Rotos. I've been eagerly searching for these for the past few months and I can't find any. I really dislike the addition of noses to the later figures but I figure I'll buy them anyways and take them off somehow.

SD Gundam

My favorite line in years. I never would have imagined it. I bought Zapper Zaku on a bit of a whim and really didn't dig him all that much. I then started to slowly but surely buy all the Dark Axis (villains) figures. I now have over 80 figures all in all including all the figures I saw on clearance and went on an almost borderline hoarding buying spree.

I really wanted this line to continue but alas there was one final push of box sets and Gunpanzer which got the spottiest distribution I've ever seen (or not seen as the case may be). I figure soon I might cave in and start buying the 10 dollar zakos and leos on ebay since it seems it's almost dry here at retail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:31 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

I got into figure collecting with vintage GI Joes. After picking up about 50 of these (and a number of vehicles) I stopped collecting, mainly for space considerations.

I collected the Sideshow Universal Horror series until it jumped to 12". I let it go then for space and cost reasons.

I do have a few of the Sideshow James Bond figures in 12", one of each of the Bond actors and a couple of villains.

I also have Zatoichi, Yojimbo and Lone Wolf and Cub from the Alfrex Samurai line. They're too expensive to collect many of these figures, but I had to have these three.

The bulk of my collection is made up of smaller figures from the Batman movies and TV shows, and more recently JLU. I've go for everything that's close to show accurate and leave the fruit-stripe characters alone.

I've sampled a few other lines, but these are the main ones for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:32 am 
Knows his stuff

I thought i would get in on this

Marvel Legends(in this i put all the classics linesin this list, only the villains though): I have a good system i buy 1 of each character and open and try to put them up.... and my best friend buys one of each and keeps them MOC.

JLU(any DC animated)- I love this line i get one of every character and can't wait for more. i think it might be my fav b/c i can find the figure so easy.

DC super heroes: i have been waiting for these and i can't wait for more b/c all i read is DC i think in the comics i read DC 4:1 with marvel.

And a little more of inactive lines that i try to get as i have $$$ or time is Super Powers and Thundercats.

I used to collect Star Wars, WWE, GI Joe, Transformers, TMNT, Star Trek(Palymates), any video game and movie figures. All of these had to go bye bye b/c of price, time, and space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:35 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

LOL, some of you folks are nuts! :lol:

Here's my modest list:

Star Wars 3 3/4
Justice League Animated
MOTU - still picking up the Stactions
Muppets - although the line ended. I'll probably pick up some Sesame Street when the eventually hit.

Mego Comic Action Heroes
Flash Gordon Vintage 3 3/4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:38 pm 
shirtless hugger

I collect mainly DC Direct figures, but I'm not a completist of this line, I pick and choose.

I have all of the JLU figures in 10" and 4" except for the redundant single pack remakes. I have an abundance of 3-pack leftovers

I also have a fair amount of hasbro BTAS figures and other various incarnations of the bat from over the years.

I still have my super powers toys too, but they are boxed up and put away with my surviving transformers, neither is a complete set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:35 pm 
shirtless hugger

Marvel Legends
DC Direct (Some)
Star Wars (Boba Fett items)
Super Powers
MOTU
Minimates
JLU
The Batman
DC Superheroes