Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:18 pm 
Damage Control

I have a rubbermaid tote full of old 5" Toy Biz figures I collected back in the 90's. And I gave all of my BTAS figures to my son a while back. They just don't fit in with my JLU stuff and they deserve to be played with. They are great toys.

Currently:

I have a Star Wars display that I started way back when with figures and ships (and the AT-AT), but haven't really purchased much the last few years. I really only get into the original trilogy but might pick up an alien or two from the other three films to fill out my Cantina or Jabba's Palace diormama :wink:

I am mainly into superheroes. I have one cabinet devoted to DC and one cabinet devoted to Marvel.
I mainly get any DCDirect related to Justice League, LOD, GL, Bat-villains. I also have been into JL/JLU since it started. My son and daughter also get into this line so it makes it more fun for me. For the record, Santa kicked some major ass with JLU offerings this year. :D
I get quite a few ML. They are cheaper than DCD, so I can afford a few off the wall choices every once in a while. We like the BAF, but the upcoming Mojo and Onslaught are not of any interest to me. I focus mainly on F4 and Avengers with a few Xmen and villains here and there.

I also have Transformer Alternators. I was wavering on dropping this line due to the cost, but just cannot bring myself to do it. So as a compromise, I will try to eliminate as much duplication (exp: Ravage = no, Tracks = yes) as possible unless it is just too cool to pass on.

I don't spend a great deal of money on this hobby compared to a lot of you. Mainly b/c I can't afford to with two kids, a wife in school, a mortgage (and I am currently unemployed...but not for long I'm hoping). So I focus on a few lines and try to get as much I like as possible and have fun with the kids while I do it. We have a room in our upstairs devoted to our "collecting" and the kids and the wife and I all get into the act. So it is a family affair with us. Just on a smaller scale than most collectors. But we dig it. 8)

For the record, I am not a hardcore completist, but do find it hard to say no to the JLU stuff just b/c it is addictive for some reason. I think it is b/c it is a "fun" line to enjoy with my kids. I just pick and choose on the other lines along my taste preferences (Avengers ML, JL DCD, etc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:14 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

In light of the new forum members and the new stuff at Toy Fair, I wanted to bump this up (and adjust my list) :wink:

LOVE it

DC Direct – I’m a huge DC fanboy, so this line is always at the top. Even with the recent issues with QC and character selection, this line is still one of my favs. Most of the time, I pretty much by any and all DCD figures but some of the recent stuff like the Turner figures I'm staying away from.

JLU – probably the most “fun” line out there, maybe the closest we’ll ever get to the beloved Super Powers line. Really gets me in the “collect them all!” mindset. Especially with a huge 2006 ahead!

DC Direct 13" – despite some of the flaws, I love the Superman and I can't wait for the others. High price point, but really nice.

DC Superheroes – this line looks like a winner! I was hesitant to pick these up with only SuperBat characters planned so far, but they are too cool to resist.

Marvel Legends – some of the recent waves have been “meh” for me (Galactus & Sentinel BAFs notwithstanding) and the variants are always frustrating, but the upcoming stuff has my hopes high. These are the ones I let my son play with. Wave 12 was my fav in quite some time, and the stuff at Toy Fair will have me broke all year long.

Fantastic Four Classics – I love these too, especially seeing the stuff at Toy Fair. Kang!!

Figure Factory – I'm hooked on these darn things now too, very neat-o. I need them all!

Superhero Showdown – finally some Joe-sized superheroes! Despite the quality issues, I dig 'em. Especially with all the great selection this year.

G.I.Joe DTC – this line has some of the best Joe product in years. I just wish we could have been getting single-carded Joes the whole time. Great time to be a GIJoe fan.

G.I.Joe Sigma Six – this line is a lot cooler than it seemed, I like the urban-vinyl styling. Really fun figures you can’t help but play with.

Hellboy – this might be the best line out right now. It's everything I could have hoped for in a Hellboy line. And the next waves look even better.

SOTA Street Fighter – the sheer amount of color variations are overwhelming, but these are some of the best figures out there too. I bought them all, and I’m just a casual SF fan too!

Corgi Batmobiles – these are truly awesome! These look great all lined up together. I wish they were a little cheaper, though.

LIKE it

Spider-man Classics – I still get all the villains, but I don’t pick up the Spidey figures anymore. Just too much. But that Hobgoblin and Jack O Lantern are awesome!

Heroclix – I don’t have the time to play the game much anymore, but I still love to collect the figures. The cost keeps me from buying the new releases, but I do pick up figure lots on eBay a few months after each set is released. These look so cool all together on a shelf. I actually bought a couple brix of the new DC set, and I really want the Con Spectre figure.

MOTU – still have the bitter taste of Mattel’s mishandling of my fav property from my childhood. As nice as they are, it’s really too bad the Stactions couldn’t be real figures. Still the quality of the stactions is fantastic.

Transformers Alternators – I still get an occasional one here and there, but my space is really limited.

JLA/Total Justice - despite the extreme poses, I really liked this line. The character variety alone was fantastic, especially with the likes of Red Tornado and Atom. I only need a few more to complete this line.

WANT it

Marvel Icons: these look fantastic! I can't wait to see them on the shelf!

DCD Who's Who Figuramas: I'm a sucker. I admit it. As soon as Red Tornado was included, I was sold.

DCD Batman Black & White statues: the Mignola, Rude and Jones versions look excellent.

Medicom Rocketeer v2.0 12" figure: I missed this the first time, and that ain't gonna happen again!

Sideshow Captain America mask/shield prop - I have the Thor helmet/hammer prop, and it's amazing. So of course I have to get the second offering in the series.

VINTAGE too?!

G.I.Joe RAH – still snag stuff here and there, but the cost of vintage figures/vehicles and space issues make it tough. Plus I have all my stuff from childhood, so there's not a whole lot more for me to acquire - just the rare expensive stuff.

Super Powers – been lazy with finishing this line, still need to snag Freeze and Clark Kent but my money gets spent elsewhere right now. But I still love to go read Toyotter's site!

M.A.S.K. – I love this great, underrated line but again the space issue prohibits me from buying these. I still bid on a few here and there on eBay, but mostly I enjoy what I already have. But man are they fun to play with!

Secret Wars – been lazy with finishing this line too, still need to snag some of the common figures and the foreign exclusives. But I look at ML figures and I lose interest! Still fun for nostalgia though!

And I have a few other things here and there - Microman, McFarlane Sportspicks, some 12" Dragon stuff, various DC statues...and I also collect model trains, Sinatra memorabilia, vintage Chicago Cubs items, and WWII-related & Norman Rockwell art books. And Silver Age DC books - mostly Justice League of America, Flash and Green Lantern. And other random titles with the JLA or JSA characters or crossovers on the cover. I'm somewhat of a JLA/JSA freak. :wink:

Okay, now I'm tired. That's a lot of crap. :!:

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:57 pm 
Fugitive Dust

For me? Just JLU and some DC Superheroes. Can't afford much else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:41 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well, My list is long as everyone elses: And I am a loose collector, thats the only way to have any room.

Star Wars-- anything and everything-although I am dropping my completist status I still purchase most -- currently

Attacktix
Titanium (Both Sizes)
3-3/4 (missing just 15 figures since 1977)- most are Droids and Ewoks
12" (Hasbro and Sideshow)
Unleashed (Both Sizes)
Kubricks
Kotos
GG (Statues, Busts, Bust Ups)
Galactic Heroes
Code 3 Ships
Miniatures
Trading Cards, CCGs, Books, Comics etc....

DC Stuff

JLU (one of each character)
Teen Titans (Just started these since I got a bunch on clerance)
BTAS (Old school - although I think I have all I need)
New DC Superheroes (only the Villians and a select few others)
DCD- Mostly just Batman Villians and a Few others
The Batman- Just Villians

Marvel
Legends- I was picking up just figures I thought were cool- until the BAF concept came along-- now Im buying complete waves.
Old School Toy Biz- Keeping those until a better version comes along and those figures go into the get rid of pile
SPiderman/FF/X-Men Any VIllians and occasional others
Any Rhino, Nightcrawler and Kitty Pryde Stuff

TMNT- Donatellos and other unique characters

Simpsons- Have all the playmates but a few of the sets - waiting for McFarlanes-
Bust Ups

Muppets -Only need two exclusives- waited too long before Palisades went OOB

Occasional other Disney figures

MOTU - pick up most of the villians and characters that are cool.

Plus comics, DVD and various Trading Card Lines (mostly comic and Disney).

Older Lines Im Still collecting or currently Displaying

Battle Beasts
Army Ants
Vintage 3-3/4 G.I.Joe (mostly Vipers)
Pirates of Dark Water
COWboys of Moo Mesa
Various McFarlane Lines
Multiple Past Batman Lines

These are of course just the main ones that Im collecting.

And the key is a very understanding wife - who happens to collect Barbies - which can get pretty expensive as well (Thank God most toy lines dont do 500 dollar retail exclusives)

Last edited by stewbacca on Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:14 pm 
First and foremost right now it's JLU all the way.
This is a great line and a collectors dream. All
they need is some more vehicles and playsets

"The Batman" if the fig is good and relevent and true to Batman
Teen Titans if the fig is interesting or has history.
Other than that, it's just if the fig interests me.

Completed collections
ToyBiz:
Iron Man
Fantastic Four
XMen
Avengers
Hulk
B:TAS (greatest series ever IMHO)
Superman
The Shadow
DC Pocket Heroes
All Batman movie series
All DC Direct JSAers
DC MiniMates
Mezco Dick Tracy
Super Powers
GI Joe (12")
Total Justice
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:45 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I am most definitely adding Mattel's Avatar line to the list. I'm a bit on the wall about the Batman and Avatar legos now but if there's a dry spell I'll probably dig in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:31 pm 

In light of stuff shown at Toy Fair and SDCC, anyone wanna add anything to their lists? Here's mine updated:

LOVE it

DC Direct – this line is still at the top, even with the recent issues with QC and character selection. I pretty much by any and all DCD figures.

DC Direct 13" – overpriced IMO but are very nice. They have me hooked for now.

JLU – probably the most “fun” line out there, maybe the closest we’ll ever get to the beloved Super Powers line. Really gets me in the “collect them all!” mindset.

DC Superheroes – the weekend I picked these up, I couldn't stop playing with them. That hasn't happened in a along time. I was totally hooked.

Marvel Legends – really digging the next few waves of stuff. These are the ones I let my son play with.

G.I.Joe DTC – even though we're nearing the end of this one (for now), this line has some of the best Joe product in years.

G.I.Joe Sigma Six – Really fun figures you can’t help but play with; I was totally surprised on how much I would enjoy these.

Hellboy – these are absolutely some of the best figures out there, hands down.

SOTA Street Fighter – the sheer amount of color variations are overwhelming, but these are some of the best figures out there too. I bought them all, and I’m just a casual SF fan too!

Figure Factory – they're neat. I love them.

DC Who's Who – I'm hooked on these now too, very neat-o. The next two series look great.

Superhero Showdown – expensive for the size but I dig 'em. But it appears Hasbro won't be continuing this line.

Corgi Batmobiles – these are truly awesome! These look great all lined up together. I wish they were a little cheaper, though.

LIKE it

Spider-man Classics – I still get all the villains, but I don’t pick up the Spidey figures anymore. Just too much.

MOTU – still have the bitter taste of Mattel’s mishandling of my fav property from my childhood. As nice as they are, it’s really too bad the Stactions couldn’t be real figures. Still great for nostalgia though.

Transformers – I still buy certain figures, but my space is really limited.

Transformers Alternators – same thing, my space is really limited. But I have been getting all of them recently.

JLA/Total Justice - despite the extreme poses, I really liked this line. The character variety alone was fantastic, especially with the likes of Red Tornado and Atom. I only need a few more to complete this line.

Heroclix – I don’t have the time to play the game much anymore, but I love the figures. The cost keeps me from buying the new releases, but I do pick up figure lots on eBay a few months after each set is released. These look so cool all together on a shelf.

WANT it

Marvel Icons – these are just cool.

Transformers Classics – suckered in by the nostalgia.

VINTAGE too?!

G.I.Joe RAH – still snag stuff here and there, but the cost of vintage figures/vehicles and space issues make it tough. Plus I have all my stuff from childhood, so there's not a whole lot more for me to acquire - just the rare expensive stuff.

Super Powers – been lazy with finishing this line, still need to snag Freeze and Clark Kent but my money gets spent elsewhere right now. But I still love to go read Toyotter's pages on this line.

M.A.S.K. – I love this great, underrated line but again the space issue prohibits me from buying these. But man are they fun to play with!

And I have a few other things here and there - Microman, McFarlane Sportspicks, some Sideshow Marvel props, some 12" Dragon stuff, the 12" Rocketeer, various DC statues...and I also collect model trains, endless art books, original comic artwork, Sinatra memorabilia, vintage Chicago Cubs items and Norman Rockwell stuff. And a bunch of other stuff too.

:shock:

No wonder my wife gets so upset...

Last edited by The Superfly on Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:53 pm 
i collect JLU, DCSH, The Batman, SOTA Street Fighters... thinking of collecting DCD figures as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:46 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

JLU: olny show corret.
Comics: 150 bucks a month

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:55 pm 
ABS

There's always a ton of stuff I'd LIKE to be collecting, but like some of you I have to pick and choose carefully. The lines I buy from reliably include

DC Direct
Marvel Legends
Spidey Classix (or whatever they're calling it)
JLU (4" and 10" figs)
DC Super Heroes (all except Bat and Super variants)

Up until last year, I was also collecting all the Toybiz LOTR stuff I could get, plus Bandai's TT. In the realm of older, out of production toys, I have a fair number of figures from MOTU, Harry Potter, Playmates' Simpsons, Classic AA Star Trek, and a bunch of (varied) WWE figures too. Alas, I don't own my home yet, so it'll be a while before I build the kind of displays I want to have for my collection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:08 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

I really only collect JLU at the moment, and have a few Hush figures and other random Batman/Superman figs, but growing up I was into lots of different lines such as:

Ghostbusters,
Thundercats,
Mask
He-Man
Transformers
Starwars (original figures)
Starwars (the new stuff)

I still have all the Ghostbusters and Thundercats stuff, all in great condition (I never was one of those kids who smashed and scratched up their toys). The Mask, He-Man, Transformers and original Starwars stuff got either sold or passed on to a younger relative (I cant remember exactly which, but I know its not around anymore). And I started collecting Starwars stuff again when hasbro relaunched the ine back in 97. I went out and brought everything that was released, even though the beefed up figures looked like crap, it was my chance to get new Starwars toys. Now that they have sorted out the look of the figures to be really nice, acurate sculpts, I no longer want those first releases, and only get original trilogy characters and vehicles anyway. I'm not a fan of the cash ins, (I mean prequels) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:20 am 
my tummy itches

1st and foremost...Comics themselves! What I collect is comic book / super hero oriented and primarily DC with most emphasis on Batman.

JLU / DCAU related figures! Bassically a completest.
Corgi Bat-vehicles! and Batmobiles / Bat-vehicles from every genre and medium.
Select DC Direct figures. usually related to Bats/Supes/WW
Select figures / toys such as Marvel Legends related to Punisher, Captain America and Daredevil.
Statues, Maquetes, prints, posters, Misc. other such collectibles.
Movies? comic/superhero related dvds

Various other odds and ends of this realm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:50 am 
Killer Mothman

Well, there's a difference in my collection between what I collect and what I've collected (the line is over or I'm done collecting it) - And in most cases, I am not a completist, a variant collector or a packaging variant collector...

Actively Collect

DCD main line- Mostly Bat-related characters and villians (as long as they're on scale). An occassional hero if they strike my fancy. Will also buy a figure if it helps complete my recreation of the Super-Power line in DCD form.

DCD 12" collector's set - Resisted the 12" scale, cause I don't have the room (in fact, I sold my entire collection of Star Wars 12" not too long ago for just this reason) but these characters look great and I can't wait for the Batman and Two-Face.

Mattel JLU - Probably my most "collectory" of my collections since I have been known to go out of my way to pick up some non-canon variations (ripped up heroes). All are opened by the way.

Hasbro Star Wars - I buy mainly characters from the classic trilogy and an occassional vehicle. Would buy a Death Star Playset in a heartbeat. :) These are the only figures I still buy two of - one to open and one to display.

Heroclix - I guess this is my main obssession (as he looks at the stack of fishing tackle boxes holding all of his clix) Don't have everything, but have one of each character and all 3 versions of the REVs from all sets (except Universe). Also have all convention clix including Galactus and Spectre (they're big!)

Corgi Batmobile - Love this line and am proud to say I've been involved (even slightly) with it's development. I can't wait for Killer Moth mobile!!! Just wish the packaging weren't so well done so I could open more of them!

Haunted Mansion stuff - I have a pretty sizeable Haunted Mansion collection, from pins to books to prints to action figures to 3" tall statue of the Hatbox Ghost. The problem with HM stuff is most of it prices itself out of my realistic means. It's one of those collections I've resigned myself to only getting what I really like and can afford rather than "collect 'em all"

Hobgoblin - I blame the Secret Wars figure for this one. I love the Hobgoblin and can never resist buying a figure of him. I don't really collect Spidey and very little Marvel, but I will always pick up a Hobby!

DCD Mini-Mates - Have the Green Lantern (er.. John Stewart) giveaway but thinking of picking up more. I really like the looks of the Joker and Harley Set.

What I've Collected

Kenner Star Wars - Still have all my loose figures from when I was a kid (and all their weapons too!) Most of the vehicles were given away or sold during college when it was impractical to lug them around!

BTAS/TNBA - Have the entire figure collection MOC. Have many of the vehicles MIB. Have loose Batcave. All I need is a home big enough to display them in!!

Hasbro Star Wars - Have the entire figure collection MOC. Once again, no place to display them so they languish in boxes. Have many of the vehicles (some loose like the AT-AT) as well.

Star Wars Galactic Heroes - My kids bathtime toy of choice. I like buying 'em, they like playing with 'em. It's win-win!

Yamoto Maximo - Complete set. This might be the collection I'm the most proud of since two of the characters in the line (Lord Glutterscum and Captain Cadaver) are almost direct versions of my character designs! (as interpreted by Matsushita-san) I really want to take 'em out of the package, but I can't bring myself to doing so!

BMB Maximo - Another set I'm proud of due to my involvement. I remember looking at prototypes and giving feedback for these in the production stages. Fun stuff! I have an almost complete collection - Jeff Cope told me he had picked up a give-away of Maximo in his underwear for me at a Toy Fair. I still haven't gotten it!

Super Powers - I don't have a complete set, but I have the ones I want. Although, I think my Brainiac broke and I should replace him...

DCD Pocket Heroes - Collected at first for me, but now for the kids. I wish they'd do one more set so we could get a Joker and Riddler. All are loose and very frequently played with.

Mego World Famous Heroes - I don't have a complete set, but I've recollected most of my childhood (except for the Fist Fighters - which I will only collect in box) collection. They look so great on a shelf together! All I need is a shelf!

Matchbox Fighting Furies - Not many people know about these 8" Pirate figures but I consider myself the US's foremost authority on the line. I even had a website! I have an almost complete collection including packaging and European variants (the only toy I collect variants from) The only thing I'm missing from this line is the mythical "Wonder Horse" Fortunately, the line is small enough to complete.

I also have lots of comics (particularly almost every Batman and Detective comic from 1966 to present) and board games but I'm not sure if they count...

Now that I'm looking at it in one post, damn, that's alot of collections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:23 am 
Former King of Posts

A quick note to you with big collections. You might want to check and see if your collection is covered under your Homeowners insurance. My guess is that unless you've specifically bought an addition to the policy for collectables it is not covered. And if you do, you might need to get the collection appraised every so often to make sure you are adequately covered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:51 pm 

bumped for our newer board members. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next