Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:55 pm 
Collector Inspector

I've always had a action figure collecting problem. It stems from basically what I'm into at the time and watch on tv. So I have had everything from Ninja Turtles to Power Rangers, but they all ended up at the salvation army, goodwill, or toys for tots.
Lately though I have done really well at keeping to a few core things.
Mostly Batman related.

I still have the mindset I'm gonna play with them. So I only get the unique characters If I already don't have one of them or If I like the newer version better. Not a completionist but nowhere near casual either.

At the moment I collect...

Batman - TDK, The..., etc. If theres a new villain or vehicle without the figure molded on I will get it.

JLU - Actually lately, I have noticed that my JLU collection alone out-everythings my Batman collection and this perturbs me a little. But there is just such a gotta get them all addiction to this line.
(This basically applies to Total Justice/JLA to. I was all over that line when it came out. Helped that it was tied into Batman to.)

Also collect alot of dvds. But that has slowed down alot lately since it seems the same amount of money does not go as far as it used to.

I get all the Batman dvds. Even the Superfriends one since he was a big part of that.
Get the Family Guy ones.
Semi collecting the Stargate dvds.

What we really need is a "What have you collected in the past but then gave up or lost interest in" thread. Not that really shows where you have gone in your collecting life.
DrGreenEvil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:42 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

My collecting habits have changed quite a bit recently due to some serious financial concerns.

DCD: the character or style really has to impress me as I am now in the "very selective" model of purchases. I no longer pre-order.

DCD 13": Love these! Reorganized my whole "hobby" budget so I can make sure to keep up with these. Just the initial releases, not re-releases or deco changes like the upcoming GLC Hal set.

DCD Mini-Mates: when and if they come back I am there

Batman Lego: SO friggin cool. Wish they had these when I was a lad.

Batman/DCSH/DCUC: Only what I can find at retail or get through a trade. I WILL NOT ebay figures anymore. If I have a hole so be it, it will get filled eventually (thanks again for the blue supergirl elvis8batman!)

JLU: Whatever I find at retail/Target or get through a trade, again I WILL NOT ebay.

DC Superfriends: My son is getting these (its his first official collection). Doesn't care much for the vehicles (Thank you [breathes a sigh of relief contemplating storage] :lol: )

Other than that, there isn't much. We (my son and I) get the random Hot Wheels, or odd designer toy when it really strikes our fancy and our GeoTrax days are riding the rails for the last few times it seems, but I am sure that something new will come along and we will start a whole new collection (maybe DCIH ???)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:07 am 
The Last Word

Wow, I've never seen this thread. I'll play.

Active
Justice League Unlimited, whenever I can find something new.

DC Direct, but I'm not a completist about it. Sometimes I'll buy entire sets (Trinity, Hush, Superman/Batman, etc.), but sometimes I'll just get a couple of figures I like (52, Elseworlds, The New Frontier). DCUC does absolutely nothing for me, mostly because I absolutely despise the way their female characters look, so DCD is really my only source for a superhero fix while JLU is on hiatus. I think Despero, Black Lightning, the Atom, Red Tornado, and Firestorm look pretty good, but Harley, Diana, and Cassandra look awful. There just aren't enough winners in the bunch to get me interested.

I like lots of animated-looking toys, like Hellboy Animated, View Askew Inaction figures, and The Adventures Of Spawn. I was never a big Spawn fan, and I hadn't bought any of the figures, despite how good they looked. When I saw series 30, though, I knew I had to have some of them. I think I have to get a set of Shocker Toys' Metalocalypse figures, too.

I collect random figures from various movies and television shows. McFarlane's Jack Bauer figures, Terminator, and eventually a Don Corleone from The Godfather when I get around to it. NECA's Sin City figures, the Marvel Legends Blade, a Hasbro Iron-Man, a Mattel Batman from The Dark Knight, Bif Bang Pow's The Big Lebowski Urban Achiever figures. I'll pick up NECA's Michael and David from The Lost Boys sooner or later, and I'm going to get their Dread Pirate Roberts figure from The Princess Bride. My girlfriend has some of NECA's Harry Potter and Shaun Of The Dead figures, Serenity figures, and random zombies mixed into the movie collection, too.

I grab NY Giants jerseys, cards (mostly autographs and jersey swatches at this point), SLUs, McFarlane Sports Picks, and other stuff that I decide I want.

Then there is the DVD collection, which is about to end, to be replaced by collecting Blu-ray. And of course I have comics, but I try to buy mostly hardcovers and TPBs. I buy some things in single issues, but for the most part, they're a pain to store and a bother to pull them out for reading.

Somewhat Active
Aside from the SDCC Destro, which I didn't like, I've put together a complete carded/boxed G.I. JOE 25th Anniversary collection, in addition to 150 or so figures that I opened. Now that the line has dropped the 25th name, I'm being a little more picky about what I add, and I'm really close to being done with it.

I pick up busts, statues, and maquettes from time to time, just going for stuff that really calls out to me. I have some of the Clone Wars animated maquettes, some Cobra busts and statues, Palisades Transformers busts, a bust from Blade II, and several DC Direct items.

I like replicas, but usually not enough to spend what they cost. I do have some replica Blade weapons, though, I and pre-ordered the forthcoming Justice League Trophy Room Batcuffs.

I love Super Powers figures, and I've started a carded collection, but I want to find some protective clamshell cases for them before I invest too much more into it. When I first started "collecting" action figures at twelve years old, rather than buying them to play with them, I began with carded Super Powers and Toy Biz DC Comics Super Heroes in 1989.

Inactive
I collected STAR WARS heavily from the late '90s until spring of 2003. I stopped during the Saga line, and I've only bought animated style Clone Wars figures, a few exclusives, and fewer than twenty Revenge Of The Sith figures since then. It just got to the point that I felt I had enough of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:05 am 
Resin

I don't really collect anything.

I have no interest in getting everything from any line.
I pick and choose anything in my scale, the scale defined by old Spawn toys, 6-inch.
That includes:

Spawn (old, plus others like Dawn, Danger Girls)
Marvel Legends (with side lines Spidey Classics, Hulk Classics, X-Men Classics, etc.)
DC Direct (smaller)
SOTA's Street Fighter
Legendary Comic Book Heros
DCSH and DCUC
NECA's TMNT
Transformers (Masterpiece and Binaltech)
Revoltech Frauleins
Max Factory Guyvers
Max Factory Figmas
Soul of Chogokin Evengelion
Kaiyodo Evengelion
Hellboy (comic)
4H 7th Kingdom
Bandai's Rockman (MegaMan)

That kinda sounds like a lot, but several of those lines are represented by one toy in my collection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:21 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

I only really collect JLU and DCUC at the moment. I'm trying to get some of the later figures from DCSH, but I'm hoping that most will see re-release in 2pks in DCUC as they are really expensive on ebay now.

I have a complete BTAS and TNBA collection, and a fair few doubles on some figures. I used to do the whole buy one to open and one to keep mint, but that has gone out the window these days. I would love to be up to date on Starwars, but only characters and vehicles from the original trilogy films. I never bothered getting any prequel stuff as I loathed those movies.

I will also buy the odd random character or figure if I like the look of it, but that is only if I have cash to spare.

Fact is, if money wasn't an issue, I'd be buying loads of figures!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:07 am 
Smack! Smack! Smack!

I collect a decent amount of items. Outside of toys, I collect Anime, Video games, and books on a variety of subjects (Religion, Philosophy, etc..). To go back to toys... I am an opener and all my collections follow that regiment. While I have collected a lot of figures over the years, I will only list what I collect currently.

Modern Star Wars Figures
When it comes to Star Wars, I would not call myself a completist. I pretty much have the goal of having one of each character, including different suits, that Hasbro release; although, there are a few exceptions to this philosophy. I pretty much stick to the six films and any related side stories (Clone Wars, Purge, Shadows of the Empire, etc...). I have passed on some things that technically fit in these times. The EE Mandalorian sets I found to be quite lame. Mandalorians are far overrated and have been reduced to nothing but the things fanboy we dreams are made of. The stories surrounding these characters are some of the most paper thin.
I have a strong dislike for KOTOR and Tales of the Jedi, so I will pass on anything from those periods. I also disliked the majority of the stories taking place after ROTH. I did like the Thrawn trilogy and a few random characters form other books like Tenel Ka. I do not tend to buy anything outside of figures save the occasional vehicle.

G.I. JOE 25th/Modern
While I resisted it at first, I found my nostalgia pull me into collecting these. My focus on this line has, and will continue to be, on updates of figures released between 82 and 92. I collected the originals up until 92; hence, anything after that lacks the nostalgia factor that makes the line fun. I have been picking up figures based upon the old Marvel Comics stories as well. I will continue passing on any new designs or characters from the more recent comics, as well as the movie. This is all about the nostalgia for me.

Justice League Unlimited/Batman Animated (Mattel)
After years of admiring these, I finally caved in a few days ago and began to build a collection. My goal is one of every character and I shall not bother with the various repaints of the characters. It looks like I should have little trouble catching up as Mattel is re-releasing most of the hard to get figures in the next few months. My only real challenge will be finding the Batgirl figure that was a game promo and a decent price on a Solomon Grundy.

Japanese Toys
I collect a wide variety of Japanese toys. Most are anime or video game based; however, I do collect Godzilla vinyl figures by Bandai. In Japan, for those not in the know, most toy lines are not always as defined as in the US. There are many lines which consist of only one figure and some are defined by erratic releases that may be years apart. The one toy line which has been long running is Gundam Mobile Suit in Action. For several years, Bandai of America released many of these in the US. I have a huge collection of these and still buy imports when released. I will buy random figures of anime and game characters in a variety of formats: trading and capsule figures (Gashapon), prize items, action figures, and fixed-pose PVC figures. Most of my anime toys are cute girls. I'd honestly say my heart is mostly in the this category right now. While other topics (SW, Comics, etc...) have waxed and waned, anime has been a constant for well over a decade now. As of late I have been buying the Revoltech Fraulein series and Max Factory Figma series.

Things I used to collect (and still have)
TOY BIZ Marvel figures (Pre-Marvel Legends)
TOY BIZ DC Comics figures
Super Powers
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
G.I. JOE (1982-1992 releases)
Bucky O'Hare
Toxic Crusaders
Masters of the Universe
Transformers
Battle Beasts
Mad Balls
GoBots
Spawn
Thundercats
Kenner Batman Animated[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:38 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

DCAU:
I collect all the show/comic accuarate JLU figures aswell as filling in holes from BTAS/TNBA/STAS lines/

DCIH:
I love these guys and want them all!!!!

Star Wars:
I army build clones and get some characters.

Indiana Jones:
I army build Russians and Germans for the MU Cap to fight.

DCD:
I am close to a complete set of Pocket Super Heroes.

Gohtitropolis:
I missed out on The 7th Kingdom and these are right up my alley.

Comics:
Mainly Marvel and DC.

Movie Masters:
I will get the Batpod and maybe the Batmen and the Joker. If they branch out to other movies I might go for a complete set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:10 pm 
active in the community

I collect:

Currently Collect

Marvel Mighty Muggs: This is, actually, what got me into action figures. I'm a completist for this line. I'm only missing Peter Parker, and eagerly waiting Wave 4.

Indiana Jones Mighty Muggs: Again, completist. Love these.

DC Universe: Infinite Heroes: Love the scale, they don't really care about articulation. I just want those stands already... I'm a completist for this line.

Indiana Jones 3-3/4" Figures: Only got a couple so far, hope to be a completist.

The "I Wanna Get Them, But Don't Want To Get Them" Lines

NECA TMNT: They look REALLY good, but, can't really afford another line.

DC Universe Classics: This line... it just keeps SCREAMING at me! "BUY ME BUY ME BUY ME!!" I'm not even a huge DC fan but I want these SO BADLY!!

The "Eagerly Awaiting" Lines

Transformers Mighty Muggs: Yay! New Mighty Muggs! I'll be staying away from GI Joe, but these look awesome!

Marvel Fury Files: 3-3/4" Marvel characters to fight my 3-3/4" DC characters, can't WAIT!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:48 am 
Tis' but a pup

Current:
JLU (anything and everything)
All Lego Batman

Collected but the lines are/were cancelled:
The Batman (though I still need to p/u Hawkman from ebay), DCD Minimates, DCD Pocket Heroes

Still have: a house full of Batman animated, LODK, Marx, Mego, WB stores, Batman movie- anything and everything imagineable

Used to collect and sold or traded away:
TMNT (Playmates) 99% complete with variants (Scratch was my nemesis - the only Turtle I never got)

Star Wars POTF and POTF2: everything they released and all the ridiculous variants in both small and large (12" scale), and vehicles

Playmates Tailspin (100% complete carded set)

Kenner Robin Hood (100% complete carded set w/variants)

Playing Mantis? all the newer Action Man stuff MIB: Green Hornet, Kato, Phantom, Lone Ranger, etc...

Complete carded and boxed sets (well 99% complete) of the MEGO Micronauts line, including all the Italian variants and the Fantanauti - I was only missing Ampzilla, Lobstros and the Lords of Light stuff

Barbies: lots of exclusives, mostly MIB, including the original Ken doll

Star Trek: everything you can look up in a guide: 4", 5", 6", 9", 12", ships, playsets, press kits, the works, all in multiples. I made (literally) over a hundred custom Star Trek figures in 9" scale and either gave them to friends or sold them on ebay. I have the photos to prove it to! 8)

Playmates Simpsons: I had it all, about half carded and boxed, the other half loose - I used to make Simpson cartoons for a couple of Simpson fan sites

Skeleton Warriors MOC set but they never produced Teela (I think her name was)

Spawn: series 1 through about series 6

Toxxic Warriors? Not sure I remember the title correctly, but complete carded set

There's a lot more, but this is just getting embarassing...

Most interesting purchases:
1. I bought a BTAS Robin Dragster loose for $200 off ebay if I recall correctly, and the seller upgraded my purchase to a MIB version. A year later after I opened it, I sold the box for $75.

2. Bought a box of boxed Micronaut Baron Karzas at a toy show in KC for about $15 each in rough boxes ($45 total). When I eventually sold them, a number of interested buyers saw them on ebay to tell me that what I had were Japan/MEGO/Takara issues (or something to that effect- more limited than the standard Baron Karzas) and I sold them for almost $200 each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:03 am 
Tis' but a pup

My collection is focused in the toys I used to play as a child, Cereal Premiums, Exin sets, Sizzlers, Matchbox and many great toys manufactured here in Mexico, you'd be surprised about the great toys have been made in my country.
I am collecting also the following sets:

Thematic Lego sets: Star Wars, Harry Potter, Sponge Bob, Batman, Indiana Jones.

Discontinued Lego sets: Mickey and Duplo sets mainly.

Pokemon figures: The manufactured by Tommy the japanese brand are in my top list.

Cereal Premiums: From all over the world, the Funny Fringies, Crazy Animals, Magic Roundabout, Hanna Barbera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:19 am 
Tis' but a pup

Anonymous wrote:
DC Pocket Heroes

Yeah I am newbie on the Pocket Heros, but man they're amazing! I did a small search and could see that those are vintage, but the newer ones are really cool! I am expecting for some purchases at eBay with a pair of dozens of those figures, I will report when they come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:01 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Thread from the dead! I've way cut down since last time...

Actively collect

DCUC- still tops for me!

JLU- I still get these, when I can find 'em.

DC Direct- I have been cutting down recently, I haven't bought much over the past year.

DC Direct 13"- too high price point for me now, the last one I picked up was Canary. I might be done with this line.

25th G.I.Joe- still active, but the 7-packs may be my last for a while once the movie starts.

Occasionally collect

Marvel Legends - still need the Nemesis wave.

Transformers - some of the movie stuff looks great

CARS - not as much anymore, became too tough to keep up.

done, over, out

It's crazy to see how many lines I collected over the past couple years that are now gone:

Indiana Jones
Street Fighter
Sigma Six
Hellboy
TF Alternators
Heroclix
Corgi Batmobiles

...weird. And I haven't really bought much vintage stuff lately either.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews