Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Legend of Nara Metomorphs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:16 am 
Resin

Saw these in the toy aisle at Walmart today. Something from MGA toys. They're called "Legend of Nara Metomorphs". They're fairly realistic-looking insect-like creatures that transform into action figures that are -- well, moderately less bug-like, but seem to be very well detailed and highly articulated.

I was reminded, as much as anything, of a seriously uglier incarnation of some of those alien, insectoid Micronauts, with maybe some of the uglier side of Transformers Beast Wars thrown in.

What I couldn't quite figure out, and I suppose it's the sort of question the "Age of Licensing" would promote, is what this "Legend of Nara" is based on. The only other product I saw in the toy section bearing this name was some sort of tabletop game -- that was being clearanced -- which seemed to involve sending insect-like creatures careening into a battlefield, something these figures -- who had no price tag on their peg and weren't even in the computer system yet -- seemed ill-suited for.

Is there some further backstory to this "Legend of Nara"? Or is it something that MGA just came up with out of the blue to market bug toys?

Post subject: Re: Legend of Nara Metomorphs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:08 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I grabbed the hornet and the spider... and they're actually really damn cool! Great, detailed bug modes, fantastic color schemes, and while their semi-humanoid-modes are a little weird, you can configure them so they're a little more like traditional Transformers robot modes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:19 pm 
Dog Squeezer

I just picked these up as well!

All but the Spider (it was sold out.)

They totally remind me of the glory days for TRU when there was aisle 7C and you'd find generic figures like "Bugmen of Insecta" and other knock-off lines!

The Metomorphs are pretty nice toys. All in all decently sturdy for such highly articulated bugs.

The designs on the 3 I have vary widely too. The Wasp is almost like a TF with 2 heads and legs that fold into the abdomen. The other 2 beetle type guys are basically just bug figures that you stand up. The black beetle "Scarbiton" does have nice clear extendable wings, while the reddish insect "Crytox" has a secondary type face sculpted under his main insect head. I can't really tell on Scarbiton if he's meant to have a secondary face or if it's just part of his mandible sculpt.

The packaging could use some help though. It looks nice but there's almost NO information to make you excited about the line! No bios, just a name. No instructions even, you have to figure out yourself that the Wasp "Vesperus's" secondary wings become swords...

And each bug has an elemental/faction symbol on the package, but there's no indication of what each is other than the symbol (you have to either look at the small Legend of Nara bugs or the website to figure it out.)

All in all pretty fun figures. I just wish they did a bit more on the package to tell a story or character bios. Also, some weapons or accessories would be great and really bring the "Bugmen of Insecta" vibe full circle!

Spy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:54 pm 
5th Horseman

I have been eyeing these for a couple of months now, I refer to the 3 3/4 sized ones. And I finally pulled the trigger on the one that looked the best to me, and that was the Coackroach looking one, I plan on getting the others, so when eventually Hasbro does Micronauts in 3 3/4 style I can use these bugs as extended universe bad guys.

I do have a question and maybes one of you guys can answer it, do the smaller bugs transform into anything or are they just a bug toy, and can't shape into a little person/insect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:23 pm 
Dog Squeezer

The smaller guys are actually just a rubbery insect "shell" that fits over a small bristle bottomed motor that lets them vibrate and "battle."

Spy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:52 pm 
5th Horseman

That sucks, in which case I hope they do some more of the 3 3/4 figure style ones, as these rock.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:07 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

LOL :lol:

The only one I feel is decent is the Spider one and it always seems to be sold out too!

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:16 pm 
5th Horseman

Shell different strokes for different folks, I think all the 3 3/4 figures look cool, hence the reason I want more of them.