Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Your collective wisdom is requested...about to start buying.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:49 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I have been a Marvel/DC and Action Figure enthusiast for years but never collected anything or completed a collection. Now due to financial burdens being lifted and having a son of my own I want to start collecting and share my passion for comics,cartoons and action figures with him.

One problem : OCD. I cannot, regardless of what anyone says collect action figures from different scales. If I go 3" I can't go 6" or vice versa. I want to collect DC, Marvel and perhaps Thundercats and other lines but mostly Marvel/DC.

I cannot decide what to purchase with Marvel and DCand in some cases understand what DC lines are still in production. I read that Marvel Legends are back, but what are the chances of them being cancelled again.( correct terminology? )

I love the look of the JLU toys but apparently they aren't made anymore and I don't want figures that I can purchase exclusively on Ebay. I would like some ready availability. I have seen the 3" Marvel Universe ones and while I prefer Marvel Legends the price point and chances of future lines are higher with Marvel Universe.

Any help, pro and cons or suggestions would greatly be appreciated? What lines compliment each other and could be displayed together. 6" Batman vs 3" Captain America is not something I want to do. Also does DC still even have a 3" line? Sorry for the long post!

Post subject: Re: Your collective wisdom is requested...about to start buy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:43 pm 
Cold-cast

haibey wrote:
I have been a Marvel/DC and Action Figure enthusiast for years but never collected anything or completed a collection. Now due to financial burdens being lifted and having a son of my own I want to start collecting and share my passion for comics,cartoons and action figures with him.

One problem : OCD. I cannot, regardless of what anyone says collect action figures from different scales. If I go 3" I can't go 6" or vice versa. I want to collect DC, Marvel and perhaps Thundercats and other lines but mostly Marvel/DC.

I cannot decide what to purchase with Marvel and DCand in some cases understand what DC lines are still in production. I read that Marvel Legends are back, but what are the chances of them being cancelled again.( correct terminology? )

I love the look of the JLU toys but apparently they aren't made anymore and I don't want figures that I can purchase exclusively on Ebay. I would like some ready availability. I have seen the 3" Marvel Universe ones and while I prefer Marvel Legends the price point and chances of future lines are higher with Marvel Universe.

Any help, pro and cons or suggestions would greatly be appreciated? What lines compliment each other and could be displayed together. 6" Batman vs 3" Captain America is not something I want to do. Also does DC still even have a 3" line? Sorry for the long post!

First of all, welcome.

If you don't want to be buying on ebay you're pretty much left with the 6" figures if you want both Marvel and DC figures. The DC Infinite Heroes line was 3.75" but they have long since stopped making them. There's the Green Lantern 4" line, but it doesn't have very many characters in it and it's pretty much dead at this point.

I don't collect the 6" lines of anything, but as near as I can tell, if you're only wanting to pick DC figures up in a store, then those will be hard for you too. Especially for the older waves of DC Universe Classics.

Thundercats seems to plentiful and easy to find though in both 4" and 6". Unless you're looking for Grune. He can be a pain to find.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:33 am 
Aspires to be #1

I'll second what he said, if you're looking for everything to be in a similar scale (which will be a challenge) then I think you have to go with 6 in. Both DC and Marvel will have a very strong presence in that scale for the foreseeable future and DC has had one for the last 5-6 years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:23 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Unfortunately, I think you are setting yourself up for "wanting your cake and eating it too".

You want both DC and Marvel. Easy enough.
In the same scale. Probably only in 6in.
At retail. Depends on your area and if you are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time with releases.
Exclusives are just part and parcel of the industry now and eBay will be your best friend for getting most of them.

Even if everything were to line up in the above scenarios and fit your OCD challenge, there is nothing that guarantees compatibility between the lines.
Different manufacturers with different art teams following different licensors needs and different collectibility and play needs.

Honestly, and sorry to be so blunt, get over it.

If you want to get your hands on a very deep and full roster of the Marvel Universe, buy the 4" figures. But you will be spending a lot of time on eBay looking for the older releases.
If you like JLU, buy some.
Same with 4" Green Lantern. The movie is done, no more figures are coming out, but they can be had relatively easily and for cheap at this point.

Trust me, your kid won't mind mixing scales. Or styles. Or universes. They just like to play.

My son mixes everything from Vintage SW, to Imaginext, to Action League, to JLU, to Transformers, to Lego, to plush, to... and it all works extremely well for him.

Don't limit yourself to 1 size only because "my OCD said so". Limit yourself to what you like and what you want, size be damned.

Start building friendships on boards like these (Welcome to the club by the way) and try hooking up some trades to help fill in the gaps.
And get used to buying on eBay regardless.

Hope we helped.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:07 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Trust me, your kid won't mind mixing scales. Or styles. Or universes. They just like to play.

My son mixes everything from Vintage SW, to Imaginext, to Action League, to JLU, to Transformers, to Lego, to plush, to... and it all works extremely well for him.

This is true... my kid has Nick Fury and Captain America working with GI Joe and they are headquarters in the PITT playset. They ally themselves with Autobots... The Deceptions have fallen in league with Daleks and Doctor Doom has made a base out of Unicron's planetoid shell...

Sometimes the imagination of a child at play is so amazing!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:10 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Thank you guys! Your bluntness has gotten me over my stupid issues and I am scouring eBay now. Out of curiousity do you think DC is doing another 4" line any time soon besides Young Justice?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:30 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Plus the honest advantage of using ebay-- if you are coming into the game late-- is you can usually buy huge lots of figures for half price or less.. (not to mention some of those lots have the rarer figures - beacuse sometimes they wont sell without something to sweeten the pot).. and not be disappointed with getting a bunch of stuff you already had.. you figure I have over 200 Marvel 3-3/4 marvel figures currently -- which I spent lets say- 7.50 a piece for.. $1,500.00 (not to mention all the comic pack doubles and such I have sold in the past (that are not in that number) )--- that same 1500.00-- would probably win you any 4-5 lots on ebay you choose to go after-- (most people back down at about 350.00 or more) -- and I guarantee you would come away with more that I have in my current collection...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:32 am 
Aspires to be #1

haibey wrote:
Thank you guys! Your bluntness has gotten me over my stupid issues and I am scouring eBay now. Out of curiousity do you think DC is doing another 4" line any time soon besides Young Justice?

We're all expecting Green Lantern the Animated Series toys to be in the same scale as JLU so they should have GL and YJ out at the 4 in. scale. This won't be formally announced until February though. Right now it's just speculation on our part from seeing leaked prototypes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:34 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

stewbacca wrote:
Plus the honest advantage of using ebay-- if you are coming into the game late-- is you can usually buy huge lots of figures for half price or less.. (not to mention some of those lots have the rarer figures - beacuse sometimes they wont sell without something to sweeten the pot).. and not be disappointed with getting a bunch of stuff you already had.. you figure I have over 200 Marvel 3-3/4 marvel figures currently -- which I spent lets say- 7.50 a piece for.. $1,500.00 (not to mention all the comic pack doubles and such I have sold in the past (that are not in that number) )--- that same 1500.00-- would probably win you any 4-5 lots on ebay you choose to go after-- (most people back down at about 350.00 or more) -- and I guarantee you would come away with more that I have in my current collection...

This is also true. Before last month I owned four DCUC figures. Batman, Wonder Woman, Starman (Jack Knight) and Starman (Ted Knight)... Now I have over 80 figures and almost 12 C-n-C figures. All between E-bay and Amazon.com....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:25 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

j1h15233 wrote:
haibey wrote:

We're all expecting Green Lantern the Animated Series toys to be in the same scale as JLU so they should have GL and YJ out at the 4 in. scale. This won't be formally announced until February though. Right now it's just speculation on our part from seeing leaked prototypes.

Yeah, but that doesn't help if he wants to collect Marvel and DC in the same scale, as Marvel doesn't have a line in that scale. Unless... Hasbro gets off the butts and does an Avengers EMH toy line to coincide with the show.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:59 am 
Aspires to be #1

They didn't ask if Marvel had one as well. They just asked if DC would be doing another one.