Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New TRON animated series to air on Disney
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:02 pm 
Cold-cast

A new Tron animated show called "TRON: Uprising" is going to air on Disney Xd in the summer of next year, supposedly it has some pretty high profile voice actors such as Elijah Wood and the original guy who played Tron.

My question is, what does this mean for the toys if this show catches on in a big way? Will the first two Tron toylines increase in value? After all, wasn't it all because of a TV show that Hasbro's Superhero Squad became so expensive on the secondary market?

And will a new line of Tron toys based on the cartoon be made? If so, what will they be like, what kind of new, awesome "gimmicks" will they have this time? The future looks promising indeed.

Post subject: Re: New TRON animated series to air on Disney
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:05 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Hey James,

I think some of your suppositions might be just a bit off.

Superhero Squad didn't go up in value because of the tv show. That line has been running for a few years now and there are still some very HTF figures from the early releases that are much in demand. Add to that a very "cute" style and easy collectibility and demand has only grown as the line continues. If anything, the show was made in response to the fan response to the toys.

The success or failure of the tv show for Tron may or may not have any effect on the current offerings of toys. The demand for vintage figures is still only high with those who have the "nostalgia factor". There are a few collectors out there that are young enough for the current Tron to be their first experience, but they would be the exception for the vintage figures, not the rule.

When (not IF) toys get made for the new animated series, they will most likely be done to match that particular shows style. I would suspect that "gimmicks" would be kept to a minimum as they try to churn out a plethora of characters and variants to meet the needs of the "target audience" ... children, most likely in the 'tween set.

I plan to watch the show, and hope it lives up to the hype already surrounding it (I've been following production and what not for a bit over a month or so now), but I don't expect it will create some massive sense of "gotta have it" for any of the predecing toy lines nor do I expect it to heavily influence any significant changes in the secondary market.