Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ex-manager gives scathing expose of TRU
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:56 pm 
Cold-cast

I was recently browsing around the web looking for info on what working for TRU would be like, and I found this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/other-to ... s-r-2.html

"Well, since you asked, here goes!! I was a manager for Toys 'R' Us for 2 years back in 1993-1995. It was BY FAR the worst retail company I worked for during my 10 years of being a retail manager!! Awesome it was not, especially for the hourly employees. Here's why --

We were not allowed to hire employees in at a rate above minimum wage, no matter how much retail experience the applicant had. When it came to yearly raises, the company would only allow us to give 10¢ an hour raises to most employees. At the time, 25¢ was the average yearly hourly raise throughout the retail industry. I remember a couple of times having to give out 5¢ raises. I was "allowed" to give 25¢ raises only a couple of times to really excellent employees, and only then because I pitched a fit. Toys 'R' Us also didn't allow employees to have any sort of an employee discount. Most retail companies allowed their employees a 10-20% employee discount. Not so at Toys 'R' Us. So, not only were you working for barely minimum wage, but you received no discounts on anything you bought there!! As far as benefits were concerned, benefits were very limited to a certain number per store for full-time employees only (as with MOST retail companies!!). We would receive reports every week with a list of part-time employees whose "hours" were getting too close to the magic number where they would legally have to be made full-time employees (and therefore get benefits). We were instructed to cut back their hours immediately, for at least 2 or 3 weeks. I always felt sorry for my employees having to work under those conditions, and always wondered why they didn't go to another retail company to work for better pay and conditions -- or at least for an employee discount!! The sad thing was that most of the people I hired said they wanted to work for Toys 'R' Us cause they loved toys, and they thought it would be an awesome & really fun job. Most of them found out differently soon enough.

My personal favorite management edict from corporate was that whenever we were out & about in the world in our daily lives and saw a business that had "'R' Us" in the title of it, such as Cars 'R' Us, or Signs 'R' Us, we were suppose to IMMEDIATELY get to a phone & call corporate headquarters & report that poor little mom & pop business (usually) to Toys 'R' Us so they could file a lawsuit against them for copyright infringement!!! Needless to say, I never did!!

Toys 'R' Us never gave back anything to the community through donations or volunteer work, like some companies. Their prices were really high, they never had sales and had very few coupons. I believe it is the same way today, although I have seen alot more coupons and a FEW sales in the last 3 or 4 years than there were back then.

Oh, and by the way, for those of you who believe in buying "Made in America" items -- even back in 1993, if you walked in the stockroom and looked at the boxes of merchandise back there (or on the overstock shelves in the store), at least 80% of those boxes said "Made In China"!!!! I believe back in 1993, even Wal-Mart was on the "Made In America" bandwagon.

In recent years, Toys 'R' Us has been found guilty of "wage & overtime pay violations" (employees working off the clock) and sweatshop practices in foreign countries.

So, as a retail company, I think Toy 'R' Us is the worst. They could, and SHOULD do better -- towards their customers, the community, and ESPECIALLY their employees. Just my experience with them and my opinion."

Post subject: Re: Ex-manager gives scathing expose of TRU
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:02 am 
Aspires to be #1

That's interesting but, imo, completely irrelevant to TRU today. Yea this guy was a manager but it was 16 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:34 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

While I don't have all the inside info, I do have some very close friends who are on the payroll at TRU (as part-time and as management).

There is still no employee discount. The "benefit" is that you get "first pick" of what is available.

Hours do tend to stay limited. Most part-time employess average around 20-30 hours per week maximum, but they don't have to contend with forced overtime or off-shift labor.

TRU (locally at least) is now in the habit of BROADCASTING its staff updates over the walkie talkies so everyone in the store can continue to interact with guests while staff meetings are being held and everyone is still included. Its odd as a customer to hear the store broadcasting its sales quotas and achievements but I also hear lots of congratulations to the efforts of the staff and the criticism I hear is always legit and constructive.

There are much better companies to work for, but TRU is not the worst either. They have made strides since the days of this person's experience, but there is still room for improvement as well.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:52 am 
Aspires to be #1

Limiting part time employee hours is certainly not exclusive to TRU though. Every single business does that.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:56 am 
Unbreakable

I wouldn't really call that a scathing expose of TRU. It's obvious this was written by someone who has a beef against TRU in general. With the exception of the no discount that sounds like standard operating proceedure for most large retailers. I can make that very same case for KB Toys and Walmart.

I was a minimum wage hourly employee of TRU during that very same time. It could be fun at times but could also suck at times. Sounds like any work to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:27 pm 
Cold-cast

In 1996, I made $4.35 an hour at TRU.
I had no perks, no discount.

They also made sure that no matter how much you slugged away, when you got near 38 hours, they sent you home.

Still, it was a gig. Unglamorous, but a gig. It served me well at that point in my life. I was inexperienced, they need inexperienced. Symbiotic.

I was fortunate, and only worked there in a short term stint. It was a building point in my life. Happy I had the opportunity, but glad I was able to progress to brighter futures.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:17 pm 
Displays Backwards

H-Balm wrote:
In 1996, I made $4.35 an hour at TRU.
I had no perks, no discount.

They also made sure that no matter how much you slugged away, when you got near 38 hours, they sent you home.

Still, it was a gig. Unglamorous, but a gig. It served me well at that point in my life. I was inexperienced, they need inexperienced. Symbiotic.

I was fortunate, and only worked there in a short term stint. It was a building point in my life. Happy I had the opportunity, but glad I was able to progress to brighter futures.

I had about the same experience Xmas Season 92-93. I thought it would be fun to work there, but it sucked. So boring, crummy pay, no benefits. K-B Toys, which I also worked at one Xmas season, was much better. I'm always nice to the people at TRU because I know the job sucks. And with the jacked up prices, shopping there kinda sucks now, too, which I used to love.