Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is the Action Figure as we know it an Endangered Species
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:36 am 
3 3/4"

deadpool wrote:
lol fair enough but displaying is different from getting figures out and rolling around carpet making battle sounds and having a civil war lol dont think anyones saying they play with them.

And is there anything wrong with that? Seriously, any way you slice it these are toys which the purpose is to do such things. Is there really anything wrong with useing these things for thier intended purpose reguardless of age?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:00 pm 
Cold-cast

There isn't anything wrong with playing, displaying, or keeping your figures in their packages.

But take note that we unopeners usually doesn't start these debates, it usually begins with someone like Cephus saying how they don't open or display anything, and then people start criticizing that.

I think it is because the people who do open their figures feel remorse on some level, and need to reassure themselves that opening all their figures was a good decision.

Keep this in mind, an unopened figure can be opened. But an opened figure can't be unopened.
In other words, Cephus could instantly become like you all if he wanted. But you could not so easily become like Cephus, you don't have that option anymore. There's no going back for you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:46 pm 
3 3/4"

JamesTheRogue wrote:
There isn't anything wrong with playing, displaying, or keeping your figures in their packages.

But take note that we unopeners usually doesn't start these debates, it usually begins with someone like Cephus saying how they don't open or display anything, and then people start criticizing that.

Maybe I missed something but I could have sworn this statement by Cephus is the begining of this

Quote:
I'm a collector. I'm not a kid. I don't play with toys, I collect them, just like, as a stamp collector, I don't lick my stamps, I store them away. That's not odd, in fact, that's how most collectors are, as opposed to accumulators.

But I suppose someone will argue shellhead's remarks in jest (yes smilies help to interpret signals like jokes) would be the instigator.

Quote:
I think it is because the people who do open their figures feel remorse on some level, and need to reassure themselves that opening all their figures was a good decision. .

Well that makes perfect-

Wait-what?

Quote:
Keep this in mind, an unopened figure can be opened. But an opened figure can't be unopened.
In other words, Cephus could instantly become like you all if he wanted. But you could not so easily become like Cephus, you don't have that option anymore. There's no going back for you.

So you are saying that those of us who open our figures regret it somehow? What kind of backwards logic can draw one to that conclusion is beyond me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:51 pm 
Cold-cast

You did miss something Zedhatch, before the comments you quoted there were two other exchanges. Why don't you go back to the very beginning on page 2 and look. At the beginning, Cephus merely states what he does with his figures. He is then prodded a bit by Shellhead and called "odd", this is what got the argument rolling.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:05 pm 
Hat Pooper

zedhatch wrote:
deadpool wrote:
lol fair enough but displaying is different from getting figures out and rolling around carpet making battle sounds and having a civil war lol dont think anyones saying they play with them.

And is there anything wrong with that? Seriously, any way you slice it these are toys which the purpose is to do such things. Is there really anything wrong with useing these things for thier intended purpose reguardless of age?

no i suppose not id just be afraid they got broken lol!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:09 pm 
Hat Pooper

JamesTheRogue wrote:

I think it is because the people who do open their figures feel remorse on some level, and need to reassure themselves that opening all their figures was a good decision.

i actually feel a bit of remorse on opening some of my figures and days later wish i still had them unopened but im just going to get 2 of every figure i really like and keep 1 boxed and 1 opened for touchy feely and display

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:32 am 
The Last Word

Ignoring one poster's fundamental misunderstanding of what constitutes hoarding, people don't get to redefine the word "collector" to suit their own habits. No one is any more or less a "collector" because he/she keeps toys sealed and stored. "Displaying" has nothing to do with "collecting." A comic book collection is no less a collection because the books are stored in long boxes instead of taped to the walls for all to see. No one is any more or less a "collector" because he/she opens and displays toys. A trading card collection is no less a collection because it's on the wall in one of these than if all the cards were graded and locked away in a safe.

These nonsensical discussions always come across as people trying to convince themselves they're collecting the way one should, not trying to convince others. Everyone participating here is a toy collector. There is no right or wrong, correct or incorrect, or proper or improper way to approach this hobby. It's all about what's fun for you.

Opening toys and displaying them on shelves is fun for me. Opening toys and playing with them is fun for me (even in the dirt or open flame). Keeping toys carded/boxed is fun for me. AFA-graded toys are fun for me. Storing carded/boxed toys I'm not necessarily interested in displaying is fun for me (no photos, but I have plenty of POTF2 figures boxed up and tucked in a closet).

It's all toy collecting; how you go about it doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:49 am 
Hat Pooper

very well said caped crusader!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:13 am 
3 3/4"

JamesTheRogue wrote:
You did miss something Zedhatch, before the comments you quoted there were two other exchanges. Why don't you go back to the very beginning on page 2 and look. At the beginning, Cephus merely states what he does with his figures. He is then prodded a bit by Shellhead and called "odd", this is what got the argument rolling.

Wow and you have the nerve to say that (which I assume you are talking about this):

Quote:
You are the oddest toy collector I've ever come across. :wink:

Yet you completely ignore one thing from my statement:

Quote:
But I suppose someone will argue shellhead's remarks in jest (yes smilies help to interpret signals like jokes) would be the instigator.

Sorry you don't catch internet etiquette

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:17 am 
Hat Pooper

deadpool wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure. Posing them and taking pictures of them and building armies of them... sounds like play to me. Hey, whatever floats their boat, it's their money, they can do whatever they want to with their property. They can light them on fire for all I care. I'm just saying that most "serious" collectors, and I hate to use that word, collect to preserve in mint condition. Fine book collectors don't just throw paperbacks on the shelf to read. Stamp collectors don't go around handling their stamps with their fingers. Neither do coin collectors. The whole point is to preserve, not necessarily to display (unless you can do both at the same time).

But again, to each their own.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:20 am 
Hat Pooper

zedhatch wrote:

But if you're going to be a collector of *ANYTHING*, then you are not using the collectible for it's intended purpose. Stamps are intended to be licked, stuck to envelopes and sent to someone. Stamp collectors don't do that. Coins are intended to be spent. Coin collectors don't do that. The whole "intended purpose" argument fails as soon as you introduce the collectible element.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:28 am 
Hat Pooper

But if you're going to be a collector of *ANYTHING*, then you are not using the collectible for it's intended purpose. Stamps are intended to be licked, stuck to envelopes and sent to someone. Stamp collectors don't do that. Coins are intended to be spent. Coin collectors don't do that. The whole "intended purpose" argument fails as soon as you introduce the collectible element.[/quote]

cephus
putting figures on display on a shelf or on a cabinet is different from making them fight each other and that kinda thing.

i put them on display but the figures i really like i buy 2 of 1 for display and keep 1 in packaging.

actually in reference to you saying stamp collectors dont post stamps fair enough but they do collect ones that have been mailed and stamped dont they? im sure some people buy them and cut them from envelopes or something like that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:31 am 
Hat Pooper

and you mention lighting them on fire ahh brings back memories i used to use matches and pretend they were lit arrows and then fire them at my he man figures i thought it was realistic as they melted and looked like they were dying i liked the realism when i was a kid although mum didnt like the burnt carpets!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:51 am 
Hat Pooper

deadpool wrote:
and you mention lighting them on fire ahh brings back memories i used to use matches and pretend they were lit arrows and then fire them at my he man figures i thought it was realistic as they melted and looked like they were dying i liked the realism when i was a kid although mum didnt like the burnt carpets!

A friend and I used to go buy those cheap plastic model kits, put them together, paint them, then take them out in the back yard, put firecrackers in them and blow them up. I don't know about realism, but they blew up real good. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:56 am 
Hat Pooper

Quote:
i put them on display but the figures i really like i buy 2 of 1 for display and keep 1 in packaging.

And that's entirely cool. After all, I'm not criticizing what anyone else does, I just get sick of being criticized for doing what I do, because I'm not "using toys for their intended purpose" and not "freeing them from their plastic prison", etc.

Like I said before, it's your money, your property, do with it what you want. No skin off my nose. I just want the same respect.

Quote:
actually in reference to you saying stamp collectors dont post stamps fair enough but they do collect ones that have been mailed and stamped dont they? im sure some people buy them and cut them from envelopes or something like that.

Some do, yes. But to keep the analogy, it would be like action figure collectors only collecting figures that had been played with by kids. I don't know of anyone who does that. Most stamp collectors who collect used stamps do so because they are a part of postal history in some fashion. I have a hard time imagining any toy collector collecting used toys as part of toy history. Who knows, maybe some do?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next