Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is the Action Figure as we know it an Endangered Species
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:48 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Cephus wrote:
I have a hard time imagining any toy collector collecting used toys as part of toy history. Who knows, maybe some do?

Almost any toy collector who collects anything pre-80s has little choice but to collect loose and used unless they have large amounts of cash to spend. You speak of the "hunt" as being a large part of why you collect, I have friends who will spend hour upon hour sifting through bins at flea markets, antique stores and thrift shops or scouring eBay hoping to find some missing piece to their collections or something that they know a friend needs for theirs. Their "thrill of the hunt" may be done differently than you, but it's something that gives them a story for nearly every piece that they own.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:14 am 
Hat Pooper

Jim_Abell wrote:
Cephus wrote:
I have a hard time imagining any toy collector collecting used toys as part of toy history. Who knows, maybe some do?

Almost any toy collector who collects anything pre-80s has little choice but to collect loose and used unless they have large amounts of cash to spend. You speak of the "hunt" as being a large part of why you collect, I have friends who will spend hour upon hour sifting through bins at flea markets, antique stores and thrift shops or scouring eBay hoping to find some missing piece to their collections or something that they know a friend needs for theirs. Their "thrill of the hunt" may be done differently than you, but it's something that gives them a story for nearly every piece that they own.

Assuming they know the story, of course. I think that kind of thing is cool, but somewhat different than how many stamp collectors work. Many of them look at stamps on cover as something inherently attached to an individual person or event. What you describe is more for necessity, it's the only way many vintage toys are available, they aren't available cost effectively, or perhaps at all. It's not who played with a toy, it's that it was played with and that playing with lowered the cost to make it accessible. For many stamp collectors, it's specifically who had that piece of mail that matters, not that the used state makes the stamp cheaper. I know that's generalizing, there are many vintage, old-time toy collectors who are very interested in who owned a particular item, especially turn of the century and old tin-toy collectors and the like. I don't know that's as much an issue for plastic action figures, but maybe I'm wrong?

And no, I think that "thrill of the hunt" is entirely valid. If I was more interested in vintage toys, aside from what I already have, I'd likely be doing the same thing and loving every minute of it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:18 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I agree that the stories of who owned the toys is important to pre-plastic toys but what I meant above were the stories the collectors get for themselves of where they found a piece, how much it cost, how long it took to track down, that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:15 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

[quote="Caped Crusader"]Opening toys and displaying them on shelves is fun for me. Opening toys and playing with them is fun for me (even in the dirt or open flame). Keeping toys carded/boxed is fun for me. AFA-graded toys are fun for me. [quote]

I was with you up until that last one. AFA is a scam. :roll:

Still, this discussion got much more heated than it should have. I've been guilty of the "let 'em free from their cages" rants. However, I'm also gotten some crap from the mint crowd for opening some vintage stuff now and then (but not much on this board).

Which is why I ended my comment towards Cephus with "Different strokes, for different folks." :mrgreen:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:16 pm 
Hat Pooper

yeah i understand cephus and i get you blood.

theres nothing wrong with keeping them in the packaging at all i just get these uncontrollable urges to tear them open and breath in the sweet smell of new action figure then i pull him out and look him over test his legs and things then display him and 20 mins later im like hmmm should have kept him in the box really.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:47 pm 
Hat Pooper

Shellhead wrote:
I was with you up until that last one. AFA is a scam. :roll:

I agree with you on that, AFA is a scam, so are most "stick it in a plastic box forever" companies. What people who trade in such things are really trading in are certificates, not products. It doesn't matter what you collect, from baseball cards to comics to action figures, all of those companies are scams and more than a few have been found to be open to bribes to grade higher.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:52 pm 
Hat Pooper

Jim_Abell wrote:
I agree that the stories of who owned the toys is important to pre-plastic toys but what I meant above were the stories the collectors get for themselves of where they found a piece, how much it cost, how long it took to track down, that sort of thing.

Yeah, but you don't have to have the toy used to be able to do that. There have been things I've hunted for all over and finally tracked down MIB that have just as many stories I could tell if I wanted to. I find things that came out in the 80s and early 90s, still MIB, that I'm amazed at.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:11 pm 
Hat Pooper

i got a really awesome mint in a box today!
was called after eight made in 2011 by nestle....

seriously though
all the guys who keep their figures MOC can i ask do you ever or never get the urge to open them and see what they are like?

i guess i understand keeping them in packaging and hanging them all over walls and stuff as you can still see them but keeping hundreds away in boxes out of site and things

can i ask is this basically you holding onto them for years until they are worth a lot more money and you sell them on? or keep forever?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:19 pm 
Hat Pooper

Nope, honestly, I can say I never have the slightest interest in opening any of my figures, nor will I ever sell any of my figures. I don't care what they're worth since I'm never going to sell them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:33 pm 
Hat Pooper

very interesting.

so youll just pass them down the generations sorta thing then?.

do you display your collection or keep most boxed away?

i know everyone is different and entitled to collect in their own way but i dont understand what joy you could get from having lots of boxes stored away full of unopened figures?

maybe if you got them out and looked at them a lot or something?

im kind of in the middle i see a figure i like and want to pose him like i see them on tv or in a comic but if its a character i really like ill get 2 and open 1 and keep 1 so im sort of inbetween :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:53 pm 
Hat Pooper

Nope, not really planning on passing it down. When I'm dead, I don't care what anyone does with it. If they want to sell it, that's up to them. They can throw it all away for all I'll care. And no, I don't display any of my action figures at all, they're all stored away. The only things I do have displayed are gashapon, and those are in glass cases built into the tops of my DVD and CD cabinets to keep the dust off. Otherwise, I have nothing on display.

My joy comes from finding the figures, not from staring at them. It's the chase, not the purchase that I care about.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:15 pm 
Hat Pooper

ahh ok i see
was just trying to get to know about the ways everyone collects and things

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:08 am 
5th Horseman

Ok I am still not understanding the need to hoard figures that you don't really care about, but each to their own, just sounds like a waste of money in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:33 am 
Hat Pooper

I'm not hoarding, I'm collecting. Hoarders are people who buy tons of toys without regard for quality, just to play with them. Kids are hoarders. They don't seek to preserve anything. You wouldn't call a kid with a pile of G.I. Joes a collector. Of course I do care about the figures I collect, I preserve them in their mint state for the future. That's sort of what serious collecting is.

And yes, it is my money, thanks. I can do with it what I wish, as can you. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:47 am 
MINT!

I think I'm with deadpool on this one. I love ripping the boxes open and being able to check a figure out and have them in different poses and such. Some figures I do leave boxed but it's usually only if they are SUPER rare or if I already have the same figures that have been opened.

I guess it all just comes down to personal collecting preferences. I love loose figures because I never have to wonder about opening them. They are opened so I can take them and do whatever I want with them. I am also the type though that loves pouring over bins of used stuff at thrift stores and the like. It's just fun for me. Like I already said, most of the boxed figures I've had only stay boxed because they are rare or I've already got loose ones. An on the rarest occasion, they stay boxed because of very cool box art.

Also, "Different strokes for different folks" is a great quote. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next