Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Collection Ideas?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:28 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hi,

I've recently completed my Takara Transformers G1 Reissues collection and I'm keen to start another.

I was thinking of the Star Wars Black Series but was wondering if anyone could suggest an alternative collection?

I'd like to have currently available items that will be (hopefully) worth more in the future, maybe hand them down to the kids.

Any ideas would be gratefully received :)

Post subject: Re: New Collection Ideas?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:32 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

Both lines are winners in my book! You can't go wrong with 6" Star Wars Black figures; they only release a few waves per year, so it's less frantic to collect. Unless you count some of the exclusives, which carry different levels of frustration, but I digress...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:44 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Excellent, thank you. Just needed confirmation they where a good collecting option. Local toy shop, here I come!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:29 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

to offer a counter point:

I'd suggest starting a collection that you simply enjoy collecting. Whether it is Star Wars, Transformers, Superheroes, whatever, track down and buy what you like.

Trying to amass a collection with the hope that it will appreciate over time ... :? You are better off collecting dollar bills ...

To each his own, but I thought I'd at least share my perspective.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:08 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Very good point, I've always collected things that I like and I suppose it's impossible to really say what will be worth more in the future. I do however like Star Wars so that's a bonus :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:56 am 
Loose, Missing Package

If you like Star Wars, that's great, but keep in mind that there are people that put away anything Star Wars thinking it will skyrocket like the vintage stuff and the vast majority of the modern line is practically worthless as far as resale goes. The number of people doing this has dropped off dramatically in the last 7-10 years but there are enough still out there that hoping they'll gain value isn't a good enough reason alone to collect them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:48 am 
Hat Pooper

Jim_Abell wrote:
If you like Star Wars, that's great, but keep in mind that there are people that put away anything Star Wars thinking it will skyrocket like the vintage stuff and the vast majority of the modern line is practically worthless as far as resale goes. The number of people doing this has dropped off dramatically in the last 7-10 years but there are enough still out there that hoping they'll gain value isn't a good enough reason alone to collect them.

Right. The reason things appreciate in value is rarity and demand. No modern toys, especially mass-market toys, will ever be rare. There are millions of them. The value will only go down, virtually never up. People should collect what they like and not for resale, they will almost always be disappointed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:41 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Cephus wrote:
Jim_Abell wrote:

Right. The reason things appreciate in value is rarity and demand. No modern toys, especially mass-market toys, will ever be rare. There are millions of them. The value will only go down, virtually never up. People should collect what they like and not for resale, they will almost always be disappointed.

I'd agree with that, things I've collected in the past have mostly been off "main stream" but it's always been something I enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:18 pm 
3 3/4"

Id say collect a line that has ended.Its easyer to get into. No runnng to a store hoping for something.Branch out and hit flea markets comic shops or even cons.I find it better in a way.