Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Feeling discouraged as a collector.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:03 pm 
Resin

The announcement of the impending and deliberate end to the Masters of the Universe Classics line has left me feeling quite discouraged about the hobby in general. It feels like Masters is one more casualty on a growing list of really cool toys that in a better environment would still be around.

G.I. Joe - a moderate supply of 50th Anniversary product on the way, but apart from that, that's probably it at retail until the next movie. Anybody else remember the 80's? I do.

Transformers - movie-related once again, and there are some Generations figures that I never saw (availability being a major frustration on top of everything else), and this line also isn't what it used to be.

DC Universe Classics -- arguably the finest superhero line around as far as I'm concerned -- cut down with a ton of characters still possible.

Star Wars -- articulation cut on most figures, and the 6" Black Series very hard to find.

Marvel -- not easily found, especially Marvel Legends.

WWE -- also not easily found, at least new faces.

It seems that the hobby is trending in a direction towards high priced high-end collectibles, something I am in no position to do.

It feels like the Masters announcement was just one more nail in a coffin, and I really feel very discouraged. :(

Post subject: Re: Feeling discouraged as a collector.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:16 pm 
We're going streaking!

I know how you feel. What has kept me going are the retro ReMego figures, mostly the DC ones from Figures Toy Company. They aren't cheap at $25 per figure, but besides Marvel Minimates, which are few and far between with the focus given to Marvel Now!, DC Total Heroes (still waiting on the new wave to hit and it has been a while since the last wave hit) and the occasional Marvel Legends INFINITE! figure, I'm not really buying anything else. And with what stores are charging for Marvel Legends, $25 for a Mego-type figure isn't a bad deal at all.

The lack of new stuff or the end of lines I have collected over the years has also given me a chance to go back and pick up stuff I missed the first time around, like Diamond Select Star Trek Retro Cloth figures and Captain Action with Marvel Sets, which I picked up on the cheap.

I guess I have been lucky to find some replacement lines that I enjoy, both old and new. The sad part is that you have to shop for them mostly online. I never enjoyed the hunt, but I always enjoyed finding what I collected locally. Turning the corner to see a full wave of DCUC on the pegs is much more exciting than getting home to a brown box with Batman Retro figures inside. Not to mention being able to do your own quality assurance. I like ML Boomerang, but I have yet to find a decently painted one to purchase..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:20 am 
Resin

Like you, I'm impressed with the Retro DC figures from Figures Toy Company, although I haven't been able to purchase any yet (Tell me, did Figures upgrade its quality? I had a Space 1999 figure from them that literally fell apart as soon as I opened the box).

But as you say, while I never enjoyed the hunt, there was something cool about seeing a whole new wave of action figures in store, and also, very significantly, there is the matter of being able to do your own quality assurance. That's the one thing that makes me really nervous about any sort of online toy order, whether it's Club Eternia, BBTS, Entertainment Earth, or anyone else.

It's just -- the seeming downward trend in action figures, apart from high end collectibles, is very discouraging to me. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:35 am 
We're going streaking!

From everything I have read, the quality of the Batman Retros are much better, but still have some issues. Series One has bodies that are strung too tight, but they have gotten better in that regard with Series Two. Some have fallen apart though (not mine). Figures has been very good with their customer service though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:50 am 
Hat Pooper

Honestly, I've given up anyhow. The lines that I cared about are gone, the prices are absurd and the quality is bargain basement. Marvel Universe is gone and even if it wasn't, they're just doing the same old figures over and over and over again. They're not even doing lines for recent Marvel movies and even if they did, how many Wolverines and Spider-Mans and Captain Americas do I really need? The value-for-the-money factor has really driven me out of the market, it's just not worth the money they want for what they're giving us.

The only thing I've been buying is the Funco Pop Vinyl, really only because it's something different. Once I get the figures I want, I'll stop buying those too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:21 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Cephus wrote:
Honestly, I've given up anyhow. The lines that I cared about are gone, the prices are absurd and the quality is bargain basement. Marvel Universe is gone and even if it wasn't, they're just doing the same old figures over and over and over again. They're not even doing lines for recent Marvel movies and even if they did, how many Wolverines and Spider-Mans and Captain Americas do I really need? The value-for-the-money factor has really driven me out of the market, it's just not worth the money they want for what they're giving us.

The only thing I've been buying is the Funco Pop Vinyl, really only because it's something different. Once I get the figures I want, I'll stop buying those too.

I agree retail prices are out of control. I loved Marvel Universe but I'm done collecting new figures. It's become a loveless obsession which like 90% of things these days.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:35 am 
Hat Pooper

Smooth wrote:
I agree retail prices are out of control. I loved Marvel Universe but I'm done collecting new figures. It's become a loveless obsession which like 90% of things these days.

I understand that oil prices are going up so the cost of raw materials is increasing, but the quality is also going down and the distribution is getting worse. They think they can get the consumer to pay more for less and I'm sorry, but that's insane.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:37 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

One word answer: Lego! That's where my toy collecting dollars go nowadays. Not really everyone's panacea for the troubles in toyland I know, but it more than works for me.

Yeah, the Eighties. I usually have a rabid, foaming distaste for retro-longings and the 80's in general. That is, until I see pictures online of what real, true toy aisles used to look like. In a weird way, my memories of walking down old school toy aisles are among some of my favorite 80's moments. I miss old school TRU, Kiddie City, Play Town, Discount Harry's(those last two were local places here in NJ) Back in the day, you could literally swim in action figures if you were so inclined, a la Scrooge McDuck taking a gold coin dip inside his vault.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:43 pm 
Hat Pooper

Howard the Duck wrote:
One word answer: Lego! That's where my toy collecting dollars go nowadays. Not really everyone's panacea for the troubles in toyland I know, but it more than works for me.

Not into Lego, sorry. I never open my toys, they all remain MIB, therefore a product that you're supposed to open and put together doesn't do it for me. To each their own, I guess.

Quote:
Yeah, the Eighties. I usually have a rabid, foaming distaste for retro-longings and the 80's in general. That is, until I see pictures online of what real, true toy aisles used to look like. In a weird way, my memories of walking down old school toy aisles are among some of my favorite 80's moments. I miss old school TRU, Kiddie City, Play Town, Discount Harry's(those last two were local places here in NJ) Back in the day, you could literally swim in action figures if you were so inclined, a la Scrooge McDuck taking a gold coin dip inside his vault.

Walmart killed the independent toy store and now, they've cut their toy aisles back so far that they're pretty irrelevant. My local Walmart used to have 3 entire aisles of just action figures. Today, they have a single 16" section.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:56 pm 
Resin

TRDouble, a specific question about the items from Figures Toys. How are the legs? The only Figures item I previously owned went way back to their Space:1999 line, and the legs snapped off just trying to stand him up straight.

Lego is definitely EXTREMELY popular these days, but, I just can't quite get into it, and you want to talk EXPENSIVE!

Prices in general, especially at TRU, are ridiculous, and other retailers have cut back, which is unfortunate. I disagree that quality has suffered as much as some people claim. It needs some work, but it's not THAT awful.

I got into a bit of a back-and-forth recently with someone about the future of action figures, and this person basically believes there isn't any. He believes that action figures will be almost be entirely gone within a few years because they have no place in the electronic age, and that not only are kids abandoning them, but so are adult collectors, who just don't have time for the nostalgia factor or whatever anymore.

I look around, and I'd like to think he's wrong, but I'm not sure he is. As I said before, G.I. Joe will have some 50th anniversary product, but that'll likely be it until the next movie. Mattel has announced that next year is the last for Masters, assuming it makes its subscription goal for 2015, and now the Masters convention, Power-Con, has been canceled due to lack of support. Super-hero offerings are meager at best. Transformers seems to be hanging in there, but I think it benefits from the "cool robot" factor and the transforming capability. WWE seems to sustain itself just by being a media juggernaut, and Star Wars will likely benefit from the next movies.

But that still makes for pretty slim pickings, unless you can afford the really high-end collectible stuff, which I don't think most of us can. There's sort of the mid-range stuff, like what BBTS and EntEarth sell, but that's getting pretty pricey, as well.

Frankly, I find this depressing on two counts. The thought that a pop culture genre that has been a prominent part of my life for most of my life might be fading into the sunset once and for all, and that people of all ages prefer the electronic world of their iPod or cel phone or tablet or whatever to anything "real".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:26 pm 
We're going streaking!

TrekkerGI wrote:
TRDouble, a specific question about the items from Figures Toys. How are the legs? The only Figures item I previously owned went way back to their Space:1999 line, and the legs snapped off just trying to stand him up straight.

I haven't messed around with them too much out of package because I spent too much time tracking down the Diamond Select/EMCE Toys Retro Cloth Star Trek figures and opening those up. I did briefly open and test both Series 1 & Two though and the legs on all of them were fine. It has been the arms being strung too tight that have been the issue. On the one body I did open and play around with (I actually put the Mattel Retro Action Batman onto the Figures body), the left arm pops out the socket if handled wrong, catching the metal part onto the torso. A bit of a pain. Every series since has improved though, starting with Series 2, and I only hear good things about the Batman Retro Series 3 bodies, which I haven't opened yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:44 pm 
Brand Manager

Problem with that statement is that Pop Funko seems to be making everything anyone could ever want lol. I stopped collecting them only because it became insane how many I had and still wanted. But still Pop and Lego are the only two companies making collectors happy it seems.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:52 pm 
3 3/4"

I feel priced out of most lines.Transformers G1 or even Takaras are high in price.Same goes for Marvel Legends and DCUC.I want to fill in the missing figures for my 25th Anni line of Joes but Lifeline tops at 30 on card and just about that loose.I think going retro might be it.TMNT are cheap except for the 5 super rare figures.Same goes for He-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:22 pm 
Hat Pooper

PBateman wrote:

Problem with that statement is that Pop Funko seems to be making everything anyone could ever want lol. I stopped collecting them only because it became insane how many I had and still wanted. But still Pop and Lego are the only two companies making collectors happy it seems.

Same here. I resisted Funco for a long time, then gave in because I felt I had to buy something at Wondercon and I really like them. I get the ones I want, I ignore the rest and if I ever get to the point that I no longer want what they're offering, I won't buy them. There are plenty of licenses that I wish they'd pick up and most of the licenses they have that I don't like, they go crazy on, but as long as I can pick and choose, I'm happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:26 pm 
MINT!

Speaking of the trend towards higher-end collectibles, Mondo is getting into the toy game. Love their stuff, hate the way they merchandise it to the point where I stopped even trying to get it. (It's like those post-SDCC sales on HTS where you have no idea when anything is going on sale and it sells out in like 5 minutes. Like a virtual black friday, all the time.) That said, their 16" Iron Giant is soo sweet. Of course, it'll run you a couple of hundred dollars minimum...