Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:34 pm 
Hat Pooper

I just saw the new Walking Dead comic action figures at TRU. I've been waiting for them to come out, I wanted them... until I saw the price. $20 for a single figure? Screw that. They just lost my business. Too bad, I'd love to have them, just not at that price.

Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:00 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Ugh. $20 bucks? :evil:

I do have a cool story about one of the figures. My wife and I met Norman Reedus who plays one of the Hillbilly brothers at a Horror con. Not sure how the topic turned to toys, but he told us they were having trouble when they were scanning him for his figure.

On one side of his face the scanner just wouldnt read it. Turns out it was because he was in a motorcycle accident and had have part of his eye socket rebuilt!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:26 pm 
Hat Pooper

I had an old boss who had to have his knee replaced because he was riding a motorcycle, put his foot in a gopher hole and ended up staring at the bottom of his foot. Ouch.

I really don't get where toy companies think people are going to spend $20 for a single 3 3/4" figure. I wouldn't buy it if it was plated in gold at that price. Plastic just isn't worth that much, no matter how much I'd love to have it if it was $7.99.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:16 pm 

aren't they 6-7 inches?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:41 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Thwipster.com has the previews exclusive Zombie 2-pack for only $19.99. That's basically 2 for price of 1 for what TRU is charging.

http://www.thwipster.com/products/the-w ... mer-2-pack

Only 4 days left on this offer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:29 pm 
Hat Pooper

Unfortunately, the price on the single figures has really killed any interest I have in buying the line. What's the point in buying some of it if I refuse to shell out the money for the rest?

McFarlane can let me know when they drop the price at least down to the same price as their Halo figures. I can get those at Target for less than $15.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:40 pm 

Yeah I love the show. But after seeing these in stores, I have completely lost interest in the figures. Im shocked that they are not 6-7 inches like just about everything mcfarlane has ever done. They really dropped the ball, especially when neca releases things like gears of war and predators at 14-16 bucks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:35 pm 
Hat Pooper

These are the comic figures, the TV figures aren't supposed to be out until November. If they do the same thing at the same prices, they're going to get passed by as well. And then the manufacturers whine that nobody is buying their stuff. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:41 pm 

Yeah, im aware they are based on the comic. But either way the line is a no go for me. Wave 2 is the show figures, so I can damn near guarantee they will be the same size and price.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:05 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Personally, I think the price is completely justifiable. These are aimed completely at adult collectors, and with the amount of detail and the quality of them, I was more than happy to pick the first set up, I even went 100 miles out of my way to Lubbock, TX to purchase them.

...then again, I am a huge fan of the comic. I invite anyone on the fence to click the image in my signature and view my full review.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:10 pm 
Wonderdog

They remind me more than anything of the smaller scale figures McFarlane did for the Monsters playsets from a few years back. They are in fact a bit larger at 5 inches; the Monsters figures were closer to 4 inches. But they really do look to be on the tiny side. And I remember that for the same $20 you got the whole playset, not just a sheriff and four rifles. I just set up Frankenstein's Lab for Halloween and it's amazing how much we got for our money back then.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:22 pm 
Hat Pooper

AdamBombOi wrote:
Personally, I think the price is completely justifiable. These are aimed completely at adult collectors, and with the amount of detail and the quality of them, I was more than happy to pick the first set up, I even went 100 miles out of my way to Lubbock, TX to purchase them.

...then again, I am a huge fan of the comic. I invite anyone on the fence to click the image in my signature and view my full review.

It doesn't matter who they are aimed at, they really have no more detail than most other figures costing much less. The idea that "adult collectors" have more money and can cough up more for the same kind of figures is absurd. I'm paying for a product, not for an "intended audience".

I'm a fan of the comic too, I have the first 14 collected volumes, but I'm not about to bend over and get screwed for something that simply isn't worth the money they're charging. Maybe when they do a BOGO deal, I might pick them up, since I don't think the local TRU has sold a single one since they've been on the shelves at that price.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:22 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Alright, how about we talk basic economics?

The planning, labor, character specific molds, and cost of materials are all factors, and it isn't cheap... Especially to produce toys aimed at such a small demographic of people. What's the alternative? Crappy, cheaply made figures? No thanks.

I'd rather pay more and get better figures, than pay less and get crap. Besides, if the prices TRU has bother you that much, you can order the full set for roughly $13.75 a figure from BBTS.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:41 am 
Tis' but a pup

AdamBombOi wrote:
Alright, how about we talk basic economics?

The planning, labor, character specific molds, and cost of materials are all factors, and it isn't cheap... Especially to produce toys aimed at such a small demographic of people. What's the alternative? Crappy, cheaply made figures? No thanks.

I'd rather pay more and get better figures, than pay less and get crap. Besides, if the prices TRU has bother you that much, you can order the full set for roughly $13.75 a figure from BBTS.

I think in the current economy all action figures are pretty expensive for most people. Hell even before things went went bad i thought toys were too expensive. I don't know anything about the economics of the toy business but i do know it's very profitable. I remember reading about how Lucas would put characters in the prequel trilogy just to sell more toys and apparently the movies only accounted for a third of the profits, most of it coming from the toys.

Also most of this stuff is made in China, Taiwan and other asian countries and they don't pay the workers much or exactly have the best working conditions. So i can understand when people say 20 bucks for an action figure is just too much. Maybe if the prices were cheaper they would sell more. Maybe not on these specific Walking Dead figures because as you say they only appeal to adult collectors but i'm talking about action figures in general.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:58 am 

I’m sorry but $20 bucks for a 3 3/4" figure is nuts. I don’t care if it’s geared towards adult collectors or not. NECAs whole figure assortment is geared towards adult collectors, but you don’t see their 6"-7" figures reach the $20 mark in Toys R Us. That is absurd. OH and for you to say that these are aimed/geared towards Adult collectors, I think you need to look at their action features again. Majority of your adult collectors buy and display, not buy and play with. So those action features seem to be more towards kids. I don’t need a zombie that has splitting or walking action features.

Mcfarlane is known for making mistakes, but I don’t think the $20 price is McFarlane’s doing. The comic book shop I go to is selling the exact same figures for $14.99. Usually figures you find in Toys R US at the 14.99-15.99 price mark can be found in "specialty" shops for $20. So for some reason the roles have been reversed.