Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:50 am 
User avatar
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:23 am
Posts: 4
Location: Hobbs, NM
Racetrack wrote:
AdamBombOi wrote:
Alright, how about we talk basic economics?

The planning, labor, character specific molds, and cost of materials are all factors, and it isn't cheap... Especially to produce toys aimed at such a small demographic of people. What's the alternative? Crappy, cheaply made figures? No thanks.

I'd rather pay more and get better figures, than pay less and get crap. Besides, if the prices TRU has bother you that much, you can order the full set for roughly $13.75 a figure from BBTS.


I think in the current economy all action figures are pretty expensive for most people. Hell even before things went went bad i thought toys were too expensive. I don't know anything about the economics of the toy business but i do know it's very profitable. I remember reading about how Lucas would put characters in the prequel trilogy just to sell more toys and apparently the movies only accounted for a third of the profits, most of it coming from the toys.

Also most of this stuff is made in China, Taiwan and other asian countries and they don't pay the workers much or exactly have the best working conditions. So i can understand when people say 20 bucks for an action figure is just too much. Maybe if the prices were cheaper they would sell more. Maybe not on these specific Walking Dead figures because as you say they only appeal to adult collectors but i'm talking about action figures in general.


Right, they are made in China. But did you know labor expenses in China have gone up in the last year? That's one reason Mattel for example nixed soft goods in there "Elite" line of WWE figures. I use them as an example, because it's a line I know extremely well (I photograph it for them). Taking that same example, Mattel is having to cut costs due to rising prices in the toy industry, it's that - or they raise the price of the toys... which people are very against.

Take Marvel Universe (another line I love) for example, across the board they sell for around $10 a whack right? They're 3 3/4" - Hasbro does a bang up job on them, and they know they'll (for the most part) sell. They throw in characters like Spider-Man (or a variation of him), and Wolverine in many waves, because they know the popularity of the characters and know they'll sell while more obscure characters will appeal mainly to the adults - who'll also want the better known characters. Bouncing back to WWE, it's why Rey Mysterio, Undertaker, HHH, and the like are as prevalent in there releases as well.

Unfortunately, McFarlane Toys is not as big as Mattel or Hasbro... they're a small chunk of the toy isle, and like Neca have their own niche cut out. With a property as small as The Walking Dead (the comic series at least), I can see why the prices are high from where I sit. I know a little bit about cost of production, and I'm sure TRU has their own mark-up set for them being a "specialty item".

weizie wrote:
I’m sorry but $20 bucks for a 3 3/4" figure is nuts. I don’t care if it’s geared towards adult collectors or not. NECAs whole figure assortment is geared towards adult collectors, but you don’t see their 6"-7" figures reach the $20 mark in Toys R Us. That is absurd. OH and for you to say that these are aimed/geared towards Adult collectors, I think you need to look at their action features again. Majority of your adult collectors buy and display, not buy and play with. So those action features seem to be more towards kids. I don’t need a zombie that has splitting or walking action features.

Mcfarlane is known for making mistakes, but I don’t think the $20 price is McFarlane’s doing. The comic book shop I go to is selling the exact same figures for $14.99. Usually figures you find in Toys R US at the 14.99-15.99 price mark can be found in "specialty" shops for $20. So for some reason the roles have been reversed.


Well luckily, these aren't 3 3/4", they're 5-5 1/2". My basis for saying these are aimed at an adult audience? Well, number one the subject matter. Number two, the packaging has "Ages 13+" - while thirteen might not be "adult", the line still isn't meant for children.

And as for Neca - when I bought my Duke Nukem figure from them, he was the same price I paid for my Walking Dead figures, $17.99 + tax. Is he bigger? Yeah. Does bigger mean better all of the time? Nah. I don't personally think so.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:32 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:54 pm
Posts: 111
Well first let me start by saying I never put down the figures detail or coolness. My argument is that they are $20, and that’s too high for what they are. Second I like how you compare them to NECAs flop this year, Duke Nukem. That figure isn’t anything special at all. BUT compare these walking dead guys to the upcoming gremlins line or the Predators or even the gears of war line (I’m not even a gears collector) and now you see the difference. These are amazing figures, they are all 6"-7", the sculpts and details are amazing. yet they all reach what $15.99 at toys r us? So if I could buy a awesome 6"-7" Elder Predator for $15.99 or a 5-5 1/2 inch walking dead figure for $20. Then I’m going for the Predator, better price, better detail, bigger figure.

Now as I have stated the problem is the $20 price. Nothing against the physical figures (except size, but that’s because I’m a 6"-7" collector). These little figures look amazing especially for their size. Seeing them at $14.99 in the specialty shops seems to fit a little better and more acceptable. So in toys r us they should be around the 12.99 mark. I don’t know why Toys us has put up such a high mark up on these figures. Like I said before, usually its the specialty shop that are around $5 more expensive than toys r us, but they seem to have switched roles this time around.

Also, on the height factor, I don’t understand why they picked this scale (that you are claiming to be like 5”-5 ½”). Most toy companies are sticking to the 3 ¾ and the 6”-7” scales. But McFarlane released this scale so the figures don’t really fit in with any other line, if you were to display your collection mixed up. Same for Bandia’s Thundercats classics using the 8” figures. I just looks odd when lion-o is taller than a predator.

_________________
WTB: OLD NINJA TURTLE FIGURES!!!!!!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:42 am 
Hat Pooper
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 am
Posts: 593
Location: Redlands, CA
weizie wrote:
Now as I have stated the problem is the $20 price. Nothing against the physical figures (except size, but that’s because I’m a 6"-7" collector). These little figures look amazing especially for their size. Seeing them at $14.99 in the specialty shops seems to fit a little better and more acceptable. So in toys r us they should be around the 12.99 mark. I don’t know why Toys us has put up such a high mark up on these figures. Like I said before, usually its the specialty shop that are around $5 more expensive than toys r us, but they seem to have switched roles this time around.


TRU is more expensive than almost anyone. Halo figures at TRU are $15.99. Across the street at Target, the same figure is $11.99. All of their prices are like that, which is why I only shop at TRU when I absolutely have to. If the Walking Dead figures were available at Walmart or Target, which locally at least they are not, then I'd probably buy them because they might be down at $15.99 like they should be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:48 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:54 pm
Posts: 111
Cephus wrote:
weizie wrote:
Now as I have stated the problem is the $20 price. Nothing against the physical figures (except size, but that’s because I’m a 6"-7" collector). These little figures look amazing especially for their size. Seeing them at $14.99 in the specialty shops seems to fit a little better and more acceptable. So in toys r us they should be around the 12.99 mark. I don’t know why Toys us has put up such a high mark up on these figures. Like I said before, usually its the specialty shop that are around $5 more expensive than toys r us, but they seem to have switched roles this time around.


TRU is more expensive than almost anyone. Halo figures at TRU are $15.99. Across the street at Target, the same figure is $11.99. All of their prices are like that, which is why I only shop at TRU when I absolutely have to. If the Walking Dead figures were available at Walmart or Target, which locally at least they are not, then I'd probably buy them because they might be down at $15.99 like they should be.


I am aware, but i didnt mention those places. I said Specialty shop, comic shops and so on. You go there figures are usually arounbd $5 more than Toys R Us. Which is why in toys r us you can get a predator for $15, but in a specialty they are usually $19.99 and $22.99 for the short packed one. Specialty shops are usually more expensive than toys r us. but this time, they are actually cheaper.

_________________
WTB: OLD NINJA TURTLE FIGURES!!!!!!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:19 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:54 pm
Posts: 111
If these walking dead figures were 6"-7", and marked around $20, i would be getting them. Cuz they look great.......But i guess ill have to wait for NECAs Leftd 4 dead zombies

_________________
WTB: OLD NINJA TURTLE FIGURES!!!!!!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:06 am 
Hat Pooper
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 am
Posts: 593
Location: Redlands, CA
weizie wrote:
I am aware, but i didnt mention those places. I said Specialty shop, comic shops and so on. You go there figures are usually arounbd $5 more than Toys R Us. Which is why in toys r us you can get a predator for $15, but in a specialty they are usually $19.99 and $22.99 for the short packed one. Specialty shops are usually more expensive than toys r us. but this time, they are actually cheaper.


Oh, I agree, plus the only local comic shop insists on putting big orange price stickers on every figure so even if their prices weren't absurd, I wouldn't touch them based on the clean-up factor alone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:10 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:54 pm
Posts: 111
wow, the comic shop i go to does the same thing. is this like comic shop code?

_________________
WTB: OLD NINJA TURTLE FIGURES!!!!!!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:07 am 
Hat Pooper
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 am
Posts: 593
Location: Redlands, CA
weizie wrote:
wow, the comic shop i go to does the same thing. is this like comic shop code?


No idea but it's annoying. Way back in the day, I had a pull list there, I used to order tons of stuff out of Previews through them. They never ordered the figures I wanted and when they did, even though they specifically ordered it for me and I told them that if they put stickers on it, I would refuse to buy it, they still did.

That's really why I stopped going there. Whatever happened to basic customer service?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:25 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 6236
Location: Shelbyville, KY
Racetrack wrote:
I don't know anything about the economics of the toy business but i do know it's very profitable. I remember reading about how Lucas would put characters in the prequel trilogy just to sell more toys and apparently the movies only accounted for a third of the profits, most of it coming from the toys.


Not to be an ass-- but this statement alone shows that you don't know anything about the economics-- Lucas doesnt have to make or sell the toys that hes making the profits from-- he is getting paid a licensing fee (whether the toys sell or not)-- not to mention usually an additional cut of every figure or toy sold (and their are alot more toy items out there than just figures).. So of course Lucas would put as many characters as he could in his movies-- because it does give him more options to make more money from his per figure fees-- and if the toy manufacturer gets burned he doesnt care-- So for every Darth Vader release, there is a Yarna or Yularen figure that does not sell well-- and Hasbro paid the same amount to make them all-- Part of the reason figures are so expensive- is the fact that the licensing fees are so much for all these properties-- and usually the hotter the property the more the licensing fees... Im sure the going license for the walking dead costs much more than the others you listed- thus also adding to the comparative higher price.(see the Lost figures when they were initially released, or even Heroes--( Im sure you could get that same license now- for at least 1/2 the original cost..)..

_________________
Fastest know derailer of threads in the know universe...expanded or otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:44 am 
Tis' but a pup
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:17 am
Posts: 34
Location: UK
stewbacca wrote:
Racetrack wrote:
I don't know anything about the economics of the toy business but i do know it's very profitable. I remember reading about how Lucas would put characters in the prequel trilogy just to sell more toys and apparently the movies only accounted for a third of the profits, most of it coming from the toys.


Not to be an ass-- but this statement alone shows that you don't know anything about the economics-- Lucas doesnt have to make or sell the toys that hes making the profits from-- he is getting paid a licensing fee (whether the toys sell or not)-- not to mention usually an additional cut of every figure or toy sold (and their are alot more toy items out there than just figures).. So of course Lucas would put as many characters as he could in his movies-- because it does give him more options to make more money from his per figure fees-- and if the toy manufacturer gets burned he doesnt care-- So for every Darth Vader release, there is a Yarna or Yularen figure that does not sell well-- and Hasbro paid the same amount to make them all-- Part of the reason figures are so expensive- is the fact that the licensing fees are so much for all these properties-- and usually the hotter the property the more the licensing fees... Im sure the going license for the walking dead costs much more than the others you listed- thus also adding to the comparative higher price.(see the Lost figures when they were initially released, or even Heroes--( Im sure you could get that same license now- for at least 1/2 the original cost..)..


Here is the article i was refering to re: Star Wars.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/08/ ... kurtz-wer/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:52 am 
User avatar
"You can set your clock to his haircut"
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:33 am
Posts: 106
Walking Dead series 5 figures were revealed @ Big Bad Toy Store. I'm pretty happy with how broad the character choices are.

Series 5 is Glenn, Maggie, Tyreese, Zombie Merle, and Charred Zombie.
Image Image Image Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:53 am 
User avatar
"You can set your clock to his haircut"
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:33 am
Posts: 106
Does anyone else collect these here?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:45 am 
User avatar
4" scale
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1523
I have some of them. I wasn't too happy with the sculpts from the first couple of series so I skipped out on some of them. The sculpting has definitely gotten better with later waves and I'm hoping they re-do Rick with the better appearance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:44 am 
User avatar
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:36 am
Posts: 8275
Location: Phoenix Metropolitan Area
I will get Glenn. He's my favorite.

Plus, I'm still REALLY ticked about . . .
Spoiler: show
what happened to him in Issue #100.

:x
:cry:

_________________
Leave it up to a billionaire to buy the world some time --- Tony Stark

Trade Rating +55 and counting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walking Dead Action Figures
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:09 am 
User avatar
"You can set your clock to his haircut"
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:33 am
Posts: 106
Yeah that was a bummer. I've been on board since the first wave. The first figures I skipped were Comic Glenn and Comic Governor. I've been thinking about selling comic Rick and comic Michonne and just concentrating on the TV series along with the comic zombies for fillers. I'm amazed that the TV series has produced this many survivors and very happy about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.055s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]