Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ahhh, the joys of selling figures on Ebay.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:24 pm 
Cold-cast

Someone who won one of my 30 figure MU lots I put up is refusing to pay. They outbid someone else by a few dollars at literally the last second. Three days go by with no payment, then today they send me this message:

Dear james_the_merchant,

My goodness, how do I say this? My son was on here looking for a dare devil action figure and I told him if he found it he could bid on it. He ordered this!!!! Is there any possible way I can cancel this? I am a single mom and I have no idea how I am going to swing $240 on action figures. Please let me know as soon as possible.
Sorry!

- mikewohlwend

I used to use Ebay back in 2002. 9 years went by and I didn't use it. Now using it in 2011 I am amazed at how biased Ebay has become towards buyers. Sellers can't leave negative feedback now so the buyers pretty much do what they want and don't have to face any consequences.

This is the second non-paying buyer I've gotten, the first didn't matter as much though because it was on a single Storm Shadow figure. I don't know if everyone on Ebay is like this or maybe the subset of action figure buyers is more immature than most people or what.

I guess I'm just making this post to let everyone know, if you're thinking about selling action figures on Ebay, you may want to reconsider. Between Ebay fees, paypal fees, shipping, and irresponsible buyers (who know there will be no consequences for anything they do) it is just not worth it.

The good news is I'll be relisting this lot sometime, probably in a week or so, and that gives someone else another chance to get it. Maybe by the time the unpaid item case ends, the second auction for it ends, the new buyer pays, and paypal makes the funds available, I can get my money sometime before Christmas. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Ahhh, the joys of selling figures on Ebay.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:24 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

James, isn't there an ability to offer the item to the second buyer? Ebay use to have this feature where if the winner had to bow out for whatever reason there was a second chance offer you could make to the second highest bidder.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:46 pm 
Cold-cast

There is, but before I do anything else I have to file an unpaid item strike against this guy, which takes 4 days before you can file it, then 3 additional days to give the buyer a chance to pay before it resolves in your favor. So that's a week after the auction ended.

I don't know if someone would still want to buy an auction they didn't win after an entire week. That's the point of an auction, to get people bidding against each other and it becomes just as much about winning and beating the other people as about getting the item. They become caught up in the moment of the bidding war. So I think I'll have more success just relisting it rather than offering anyone a second chance, which I think just seems really desperate on my part. When you give someone a second chance offer it's sending the false message of "Someone else didn't want this, now I'm begging you to buy it". When in reality a ton of people wanted it, and it was just one irresponsible d-bag who used automatic bidding software and then realized they couldn't afford it.

On the positive side, my opened non-phased Vision figure just sold for $76, and the buyer paid instantly! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:24 am 

Whatever works for you. But it's all just buisness, there's nothing desperate about it. Especially if someone lost by only a few dollars. If people want something they can wait.

I can appreciate the beauty you see in the online auction, it really captures the spirit but don't ever feel that a move like that is desperate. These things happen. A lot of people also know that and more than not a lot don't care... all that matters is we get what we want.

Good luck to you though, on the second time around!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:36 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

As a heads up and something to think about ...

It might be that the buyers letter to you is legit. I can personally attest to my son deciding that he wants something and then ordering it without my knowledge only to have me have to go through some sort of cancellation/return when I find out about the "wonderful deal" he ordered from the television.

Start a conversation with that particular person and see if there isn't a compromise that would work out to the benefit of both of you.

Maybe they are just scamming trolls, maybe not.

As a single parent, I can empathize with that letter.
As an eBay seller, I can empathize with you.

like I said, something to think about.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:34 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Sometimes you just want to give them a strike-- however- you can also request ebay to cancel the transaction immediately..and as long as the buyer confirms to cancel it, they cannot leave negative feedback, and ebay credits back the final transaction fee.

In addition it also lets you offer to the next highest bidder free and clear...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:59 pm 
Cold-cast

Thanks for the input everyone.

The reason I don't send non-paying bidders a cancellation request is that by doing that as a seller, I relinquish what tiny amount of control I have. If I send them that, they can cancel it OR they can refuse. And if they refuse, they can then not pay and leave me negative feedback and I can't do anything about it. So I have to file an unpaid item claim, not that that does anything to them anyway. I found out that Ebay gives everyone 1 free unpaid item strike per month. That's how biased they've become in the favor of buyers, you can win an auction and not pay, and literally nothing happens to you. Then if someone gets 2 unpaid item strikes, their account is restricted just for 1 month - big deal right! It's only if someone gets 3 or more unpaid item strikes within a months time that any real repercussions happen, and then they can just start another ebay account. That site has become a joke. I can't wait to finish selling everything so I can be done with it and never use eBay again.

It may be that their son really did order it and they're telling the truth, but from talking to other sellers this excuse of "my son/daughter did it" is what non-paying bidders almost always say. This excuse has become so common by non-paying bidders that it's become almost comedic within the seller community. And the non-paying bidders themselves have become a HUGE problem for sellers, it is expected now that if you try and sell anything on eBay you are going to get some random non-paying bidders winning some of your auctions.

Plus, who lets a kid loose on eBay to bid on stuff? If this person is telling the truth, that means 1. She's using someone else' account to begin with, because obviously her name is not "Mike". 2. She then lets her 8 year old son use the account unsupervised that she's using from someone else.

So that's even MORE irresponsible if they're telling the truth. If someone was letting you use their Ebay account would you just hand it over to an 8 year old and say "ok go bid on stuff".

Either way they deserve no sympathy at all and they should pay for the item. But of course they won't, and will probably continue to act like this and keep doing it to other people, as will the many other irresponsible buyers eBay now has. When there are no consequences for bad behavior, why would they feel a need to stop?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:19 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Wow. I had no idea eBay has gotten that bad. Glad I'm mostly a buyer on there.

Word of advice from a public high school teacher: never under-estimate the stupidity and/or irresponsibility of 21st century America. It's getting positively scary out there.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:31 am 

You're a teacher, Shellhead? I use to sub!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:20 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well I agree as much as it is a pain to use-- there are still some benefits-- I have probably pulled in well over 5K off the site this year ( about 1/2 of that was reselling items purchased from secondhand shops/ yard sales for the sole purpose of reselling)-- the rest is just extras from multipacks and other older stuff--

Of course its probably all been turned around back into the collection-- because for some reason my mind processes paypal money and real money differently... :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:30 am 

stewbacca wrote:
Of course its probably all been turned around back into the collection-- because for some reason my mind processes paypal money and real money differently... :D

Tell me about it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:33 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

stewbacca wrote:

Dude, get out of my head. I do the exact same thing. Granted, I get very little paypal money from selling on eBay (if I sell 2 items on eBay in a year that's a lot). Most of it comes from trading here and on Hisstank. Damn near every dime I get goes back into the collection. My wife doesn't mind, so it's all good. :D

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:40 am 

I'm paid online to write reviews for various topics from board games to movies and books. The money I'm paid online I just don't see as real money at all. So it goes back into the collection with ease.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:42 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

alcinde4 wrote:
stewbacca wrote:

Dude, get out of my head. I do the exact same thing. Granted, I get very little paypal money from selling on eBay (if I sell 2 items on eBay in a year that's a lot). Most of it comes from trading here and on Hisstank. Damn near every dime I get goes back into the collection. My wife doesn't mind, so it's all good. :D

My real worry is when all the JLU monies come in.. have to dump some of that back into the ole bank account..mUST RESIST URGE TO SPEND.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:14 pm 
Unbreakable

What about as a seller if you "request immediate payment" would this help alleviate any of the issues involved with non-payments? I haven't sold anything on there in 8 years or so.