Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Collecting Regrets?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:32 pm 
Collector Inspector

Any collecting regrets?
Stuff you wished you had gotten? Stuff you wish you hadn't of gotten?

Lately, I have been on a HUGE Power Rangers kick...
And I have really been kicking myself for not getting the 15th anniversary Red Ranger box sets that came out in 2007...
http://www.toysnjoys.com/powerrangers/p ... setof3.jpg
Also for giving whole PR collections away at a time.
Really hoping the 20th Anniversary and Gokaiger adaptation helps me to get some of the stuff I used to have back.

Wish I had not of invested so much in Teen Titans (cartoon) toys. Ended up getting rid of all of them except Speedy.

Post subject: Re: Collecting Regrets?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:10 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

I'll probably get banned or something for saying it (lol), but I regret having ever collected JLU. I loved the show, and actually enjoyed collecting them for a brief time. But the distribution, price and quality control eventually became to much for me to overlook. It was such a weight lifted off my shoulders when I sold off my collection for pennies on the dollar.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:25 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I regret collecting those early peripheral McFarlane lines like Youngblood and Wetworks. I didn't read those comics, I have no connection to those characters and now they are all up in boxes in the attic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:21 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

My current regret is buying the Thundercats classics (all 2 of them). I'm going to have to think very carefully about whether I want to restart with the Thundercats. :?

I regret that I didn't pay more attention to the last five years of Mini-mates. I have SO MANY repeats that could have been avoided with a little review.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:19 am 
Unbreakable

Sometimes I just really wish I had never started buying the modern Transformers stuff. I get it and mess around with them for 30 seconds and toss them in their respective boxes. I love the Legends Class stuff but I think I have finally gotten my self unhooked from the majority of the line.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:21 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Regrets--

Not picking up the entire Teen Titans line when it was first out- Didnt watch the cartoon till after the toy line died-- so at that point only got the leftovers..(still need some of the more minor titans)

Same follows for Ben 10-- (now I am trying to fill some of my holes.)

Regret a couple of recent ebay auctions where I delayed on doing the buy it now-- because I hoped I could get it for cheaper-- and then I get outbid by someone who takes it 100.00 past the original BIN..

Canceliing the preorders for some of the more recent sideshow & GG pieces- that have now skyrocketed-- even though I even thought they would at the time

Regret selling all my Sideshow Marvel comiquettes (Had all of the early ones (Mary Jane, White Queen, Black Cat, Rogue and Black Queen Jean Grey)

Regret starting star wars right when it started back up- could have waited 10 years and got the entire collection for probably 75% of what I paid retail...

Every once in a while I regret selling off most of my Toybiz marvel stuff- pretty much had everything from the cartoon lines-- and all but a couple of the Marvel Legends... same with my vintage Joe stuff....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:46 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

That a lot of regrets Stew. Sounds like you've sold off more stuff than a lot of people have.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:20 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I'll get "buyers remorse" every so often when I see an amazing deal I missed out on by jumping the gun.

But that doesn't usually last too long once I start spending time with the toy.

By far, the biggest regret I have, was not buying the Original releases of the Nightmare Before Christmas toys. They were amazingly plentiful in my area when they first hit, I LOVED (and still do) the movie (really, anything by Burton is probably going on my "must see" list), and the designs of the characters and toys was just so different from anything else out there at the time. I did buy a Jack and Sally as a gift for my girlfriend at the time ....

oh well ... ce sera

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

alcinde4 wrote:
That a lot of regrets Stew. Sounds like you've sold off more stuff than a lot of people have.
and that doesnt mention the stuff I sold off that I dont regret (other than maybe buying it) like the 500 or so clones and the vintage Star Wars, the Mc Farlane lines, most of the Playmates Simpsons Playsets, Super Powers, M.U.S.C.L.E. etc..

But I did have to winnow my collection down, i needed to really just focus on just 30 or so lines.. :mrgreen:

Plus the wife always had issues with some of the comiquettes-- (specifically the white queen)--and it did help me when i Moved -- insead of the 60Ft truck to move my collection- I only needed to get the 45 footer.. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:58 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I regret collecting the Star Trek: Enterprise Deluxe figures in the hopes that I would get a complete bridge with the pieces, only to have the helm never released.

Not many selling regrets. Usually if I get to the point of selling, I'm past the point of wanting it anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:15 am 
Excelsior!

I have my share of regrets, more of the 'bought' kind than the 'missed out on' kind. No 'selling' regrets either.

I will go with the shortlist first... What I regret NOT buying:

-- Muppets Backstage Playset by Palisades. I always mention this when these threads come up. I wish I had it more for the Rowlf than anything else, but it is the only piece I do not own that was for sale to the public (eBay does not count). I was winding down on The Muppets line and didn't feel like spending the money for it either. Huge regret on my part.

Things I wish I had stayed away from (and still have!):

-- Sideshow Collectibles Star Wars. I should never have bought any of the prequel stuff. I didn't buy a lot, catching on quick that these were not my favorite films, but what I did buy was too much, considering the price. The OT stuff isn't bad, but I have no room to display any of it and with the price increase, I have no desire to buy more, so I am sitting on some pieces that will probably never be complete -- with no Chewie, no droids -- and what I have is just boxed up, depreciating in value, making them harder to get rid of.

-- Hot Toys anything. They make great stuff. But They will probably make what you already have better. And again, room is an issue, and with HT, proper display is an issue too. I finally unloaded my original Batman Begins Batman and plan to do the same with my Superman Returns Superman and Clark Kent.

-- Since I am on 1/6 Scale items, let's add Mattel's Ghostbusters to the list. I had Ray, sold Ray, and last year, decided that I needed them all during the Black Friday sale. Part of this is how cheap they have gone for since, but I should have just been happy with my 6-Inch and minimate Ghostbusters. Bah!

-- Marvel Universe. I did NOT need these. I look at what I have on display and wonder, "Why?". I look at what I have unopened and just sigh. I am far from having a complete collection (I didn't like them at all in the beginning and the price was not right at $7.99 - $9.99), but they did improve the quality and the price drop to $6.99 reeled me in. Funny that I have no regret over the inferior (my opinion) DC Infinite Heroes, even though I boxed them up so I could display MU.

-- Sideshow Collectibles Scarlet Witch Comiquette (Exclusive). Beautiful piece, but again, no place to display it.

Taking it WAY back, before I reigned it in (but am still stuck with)...

-- DC Direct 6-7-Inch Scale. I don't mind what I purchased early on. I just wished I stopped earlier than I did, maybe around Knightfall, when the quality was obviously getting bad. I should have quit altogether once DCUC came out. Now, I have boxes of DC Direct stuff I have to figure out how to get rid of eventually (maybe, finally, this year).

-- McFarlane Sports Picks. I still collect them. Back in the day, I OVER collected them. Now I get to look at unopened packages of Ahman Green and Anthony Thomas figures taking up valuable space in my house. I donated some of these to Toys for Tots in the past, but then I felt guilty; do kids really want a static, in-action figure of Owen Nolan jumping over the side boards?

I am sure if I was at home, I could scan and find more to add onto the list.

-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:21 am 
3 3/4"

Very little, just a few.

Star Wars relaunch-Went way overboard with those, was able to sell them off but it wasn't easy at all. Liking the newer (2004+) figures much more.

GI Joe Relaunch-Same as above, but it was exasperated by the fact Hasbro insisted on two packs. I wanted a few vipers and ended up with a bunch of Mirages and Big Bens that I couldn't figure out what to do with. Gave them to a customizer buddy eventually, but it was a pain. But every army builder had a crappy fig with it that hung around forever and was hard as hell to get rid of.

But other than that I am good at gauging what I will like and want to keep. Only occasionally is a figure redone better that I regret the older one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:06 pm 
Ferret Farmer

The only one that stands out to me is Playmates WOS (Simpsons). Started late and at the time only getting the characters I really liked. Have tried from time to time to fill in the many holes, but have given up and will sell off what I can live without.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:43 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Regret buying alot of my Transformers way too many but can't sell them all.

Should have bought less toys in the 90's stuck with lots of old Marvel toybiz i can't sell.

Have problem getting rid of stuff I have to buy new stuff so I can make room for new lines.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:07 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

At this point I truly regret getting into the DC Mighty Beanz.

About half the set is finally out, the newest wave is Canadian release only and every store in existence has stopped carrying them.

Hell, even the Mighty Beanz website doesn't acknowledge their existence.

At least my son has fun chucking them down the stairs... :roll: