Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How Do You Bid?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:53 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

So I'm curious... for those of us who buy off E-bay... how do you bid?

Some people drop small bids and when out bid keep increasing at small increments at a time.

Myself, I usually drop a huge bid and if I'm outbid, rethink how much I want to spend. Sometimes I also watch an auction in the final minutes and drop a huge, insane price that if I'm outbid then God bless them, they can have it!

So what's your bidding habits like? I just thought this would be an interesting topic...

Post subject: Re: How Do You Bid?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:30 am 
Hat Pooper

Back when I used to use eBay, and it's been a number of years, I used to put in my max bid and leave it at that. I either won or I lost. Usually, I didn't even go back and look, I either got the e-mail saying I won or I didn't.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:33 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Kinda depends on the item.

Some I bid in very small increments and slowly edge that needle up to my max.

Some I don't bid at all until the last 10 min or so and decide if I want in on the sniper frenzy.

Some I'm like Cephus, I place a bid and walk away waiting for an email.

Its all based on the item I'm after, and how big a "need" I have for it at any given time.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:40 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

It really depends on my mood and how busy I am.

Usually I place what I consider a reasonable bid and walk away.

Occasionally, I'll pull up the category I'm interested in, arrange it by Ending Soonest, and start sniping those 1 and 2 minutes left items.

But most of the time, I don't even bother with bidding. I Buy It Now for the best price plus shipping I can find, which eBay has made very easy to compare.

I probably use eBay less than once a month and mostly I'm using it for Heroclix, D&D mini's, and old 2nd edition D&D stuff. I've probably bought less than 20 action figures from it.

That's what I have you guys for! :mrgreen:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:31 am 
3 3/4"

Generally speaking I chose an amount I am willing to pay and bid that, if I am outbid I just find another.

Sometimes I watch items to see how high they go to get an idea of how much I would spend (if I am willing).

If I happen to lose I either go to something else or try again, generally it only takes me two tries to get an item and there are plenty of repeating items to be able to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:10 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Really depends-- since most of the stuff I bid on ebay is more of rarer and dont show up that often-- you have to be very careful-- if you put your "max" up front someone will usually top it with 10 minutes to go-- so I put a fake max bid in (meaning I will go higher)- and then let people bid that up incrementally- and then I try to jump in with a higher bid at the very end--

If im losing with 10 minutes to go I will incrementally bid- to see what that person has put in as their max (unless I reach a number that I am out before it ends), and then come in with a higher bid at the end

There is also the stuff that I must have no matter what the cost-- and I will put in an insane number (probably something I will never pay) in the last 1 minute to make sure I won the item--

However is someone else is employing this strategy it can backfire- (and can cost you or them)- - someone got to pay over 750. for something that shouldnt go over 300.00 because he beat my number....

Although I dont like BINs I have become more partial to them- since twice I lost stuff that I was trying to get cheaper-- and at the end it went higher than the original BIN..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:14 am 

stewbacca wrote:
There is also the stuff that I must have no matter what the cost-- and I will put in an insane number (probably something I will never pay) in the last 1 minute to make sure I won the item--

However is someone else is employing this strategy it can backfire- (and can cost you or them)- - someone got to pay over 750. for something that shouldnt go over 300.00 because he beat my number....

This is me to a tee with Doctor Who merchandise. I simply must have it no matter what... it's how I built the formidable collection I do own and I don't mean just action figures...

stewbacca wrote:
Although I dont like BINs I have become more partial to them- since twice I lost stuff that I was trying to get cheaper-- and at the end it went higher than the original BIN..

To me BINs defeat the purpose of eBay, growing up my parents were Antiquarians and were always filling their shop with furniture from auctions so I grew up at various auctions... I like the thrill of the bid, the anticipation... this is where most of my Golden and Silver Age came from, being 33 I remember when no one wanted comic books!

But now I have that instant gratification with BINs and only use them for certain items.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:47 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I usually watch a few items and place a bid on it towards the end of the auction.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:18 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

I generally have no less than 10 or so items I'm watching at any one time. Oftentimes several will be of the same item. I'll watch to see what the bidding gets up to, and if at any point the auction exceeds my monetary comfort zone, I'll just delete it/them from my watch list. Now if all goes well and the price(s) is/are palatable, I'll swoop in within the last 30 to 45 seconds and drop my max bid. I typically look for stuff that the bidding ends between 2 and 4 AM EST (when people are sleeping :wink:), and I'll set my alarm for it. It sounds like a lot of work and aggravation, but you wouldn't believe some of the sweet deals I've gotten because of it.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:38 pm 

I watch an item and determine the max amount I'm willing to pay then I set my reminder to go off 5 min before the end of the auction and I enter my max bid in the last 10 seconds and I usually win cause as I've noticed most people don't enter the amount their willing to go to at first they wait to see if they are out bid as we all like to get things we want at bargain prices

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:18 pm 
We're going streaking!

I am definitely a sniper! I mostly buy just hockey cards off eBay, but I usually wait until I am within the last 10 seconds, having already figured how much I want to spend on an item including shipping, and let it go! If I am outbid, there is little to no chance of me getting into a war because I don't have time to re-bid anyway, which is good.

Sometimes I will toss in a low ball bid early on just to remind myself of an auction (when I am checking my email; usually I get the reminder email, but I have missed that a few times). Like Nonnahir said, I can usually grab stuff at a good price because many people don't bid their max. When I have bid early, I have lost those auctions to people that originally bid and that I had outbid, or they put it out of what I am willing to pay. So, unless I have a prior commitment and cannot be at my computer, I snipe.

Anyone make Best Offers? I usually do not, but sometimes (like yesterday) I see an item I have been watching, hoping the price will eventually drop and then I see it sold with a Best Offer at a price I was willing to pay... Grrrr! That prompted me to make three offers yesterday and I got one at a great price, so I was happy :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:27 pm 

I make best offers all the time... sometimes they're ridiculous, like someone's best offer is a dollar off the price... it's like huh? It costs a dollar to like even add that feature. :lol: But sometimes I get stuff with some great Best Offers. Sometimes I get counter offers and then I counter... it can be a huge haggling session, I love it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:46 pm 

I got my sage mode naruto with the best offer feature I was one happy chappy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:02 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I'm usually at work or asleep when most state-side auctions end (the joys of being a vampire...) so I've taken to the Buy-It-Nows more often than not. Like stewbacca said, I find that often if I'm watching an actual auction the items I want end up going for more than the BINs anyway. When I search eBay now usually I just try to find one seller who has reasonable prices and has multiple items I'm searching for that will combine shipping. If I am actually watching an auction I'll make up my mind how high I want to go and see where the price goes, maybe I'll try to snipe at the last second if things are still reasonable, really just depends on the mood I'm in at the time and how much I want the item...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:10 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

There were a couple of items Ive gone best offer on- (and they were accepted immediately -- the sad thing was that I thought I was lowballing-- which means I could have gone even lower than I offered - but thats hindsight...)

The only issues with best offers are- when people offer me like 10% of what I am asking-- and get offended when you turn them down-- t
hen the other people that ask for best offers on like a 25.00 item-- I offer 24.00 and they turn it down-- (why even click the best offer box then- when posting the auction.

My favorites though are the mislabeled or badly labeled auctions-- (thats why I have like 90 saved searches- I was able to pick up a BTAS animated cell for super cheap because the guys only title was Bruce Timm-- I couldnt hit the BIN button fast enough..