Online Specialty Toy Seller (BBTS, EE, etc.) 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Online Retailer (Amazon, TRU.com, etc.) 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Online Secondary Market (Ebay, AFI, etc.) 19%  19%  [ 10 ]
Other (please explain) 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 54
 Post subject: The Where Do You Buy Most of Your Toys? Poll
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:30 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I've been on here awhile now and I don't think anyone's done this particular question.

While most of us probably use multiple sources, there's probably a few places where you get the lion's share of what you collect. Pick your three biggest sources.

For me, it's the holy Trinity of Walmart, Target, and TRU. Doesn't mean I don't use online retailers, but they probably account for less than 10% of the toys I own.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject: Re: The Where Do You Buy Most of Your Toys? Poll
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:51 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Mine would be Walmart, Target and K-Mart. I know it sounds nuts, but the last several years I've had a lot better luck finding anything at K-Mart (and maybe Meijer when I actually remember to stop there) than I have at TRU. If you go back to the "vintage" days of toy collecting it would have to be Ayr-Way, Roses and K-Mart (and maybe The Toy Store/Children's Palace to make a fourth as TRU didn't arrive here until late '84).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:19 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Walmart number 1 but surprisingly, more and more I find myself using online stores. The slight hike in price is comparable to the gas and time I use doing the local rounds.

Steve Austin, astronaut, a man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him, we have the technology. We have the capability to make the worlds first Bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better. Stronger. Faster.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:24 pm 
Hat Pooper

I'm with you, Walmart, Target and TRU. I don't shop online, in fact the last time I bought any figures online was for my wife. Otherwise, I won't buy it if I don't have my hands on it first.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:47 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

The Doctor Who figures I need to buy online... no one around here carries them

DC Universe is a different story, I can find some of the newer things but not much so I resort to online.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:03 am 
Aspires to be #1

Walmart doesn't carry anything DC anymore except for wave 1 of Young Justice.

Target has nothing to offer with JLU gone.

TRU is great but always behind on waves.

So...BBTS gets almost 100% of my business because I can preorder anything I want, not have to worry about ever looking for it and just have it show up at my door. And if there's ever a problem, they have fantastic customer service.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:05 am 

My Walmarts don't have DCUC on their layouts but they keep getting cases and using the flex space. And some of my Walmarts have them clearanced at 11.00 and others still want 15.99.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:26 am 
3 3/4"

Wal-Mart out of nessesity, (I have no targest or TRU near me) but I occasionally check K-Mart just because nobody shops there (I was able to find Crune there because of that) but I rarely buy anything at K-Mart.

After that is online specialty (BBTS, ect).

Ebay is often a last resort, but I do buy older stuffs I missed there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:42 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

j1h15233 wrote:
BBTS gets almost 100% of my business because I can preorder anything I want, not have to worry about ever looking for it and just have it show up at my door. And if there's ever a problem, they have fantastic customer service.

This. I'm at less than 100%, but pretty close to that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:42 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

This is a tough poll for me, because it's about an even split with most of the options. I couldn't just vote for 3, because in actuality it's about 6 of those options:

Walmart
Target
TRU
BBTS
Amazon
eBay, AFi and other toy forums

I'm first and foremost a bargain shopper. How quickly I obtain an item, is a distant second place in importance. Where I get an item from, is almost solely contingent on how much I get it for.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:17 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Wal Mart- regretably - but they usually get the most stock.
Target is a close second- plus I love their DCPI system for when I find stuff on BOGO sales at other stores..
Third is honestly probably ebay-- since thats where I do my bargain and oddball shopping-- and even with shipping is still cheaper than the 25% markup at TRU..

And honestly probably the last year has been Kroger for me-- expecailly with all their BOGO sales and regular cheaper prices on some figures than some chain stores (the problem with this- is I think I am the only one who buys toys there- as pegs usually stay the same until I clean them out...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:22 am 

I started using Amazon to pick up figures before I jumped on ebay. I still use Amazon from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:26 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

There is no "one place" for me.

My money gets spread around fairly evenly.

I like to buy things when I actually physically see them. Its very much a tactile thing (and I've gone into it all before in other threads).

An average day's commute will take me past a TRU, 2 Targets, a Walmart, and a Kmart. I can add 2 more Walmarts, another Target, and possibly another Kmart if I take a different loop on days when I drop my son off to school.

Most days, I will make the loop of Target, TRU, and Walmart between the commute into work and back home and if I see something I've been wanting (or I know that my son would want), I pick it up. Doesn't matter which store I am in at the time, if they have it and I've got the money on hand I'm probably going to leave with it.

If it is an item that is known to have very spotty distribution or that I just don't feel like hassling with, I go to BBTS, CSC, or some other etailer (although BBTS easily takes up the lion's share of my online purchases).

At this point, eBay is strictly for "vintage" items (in this example anything pre-1990).

If there was a store that I preferred to shop in, I would have to say Target (but the kid in me still wishes that TRU would get its act together and really blow the others out of the water with competitive stock and pricing >sigh<).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

I picked Target, Toys R Us and Other.

I've been getting a lot of Toys at Amazon lately but that has been a fairly recent phenomenon so I didn't feel comfortable picking it. The place I usually go for action figures are Target and Toys R Us but with JLU ending Target isn't as big of a deal for me (at least until they started getting in ThunderCats).

But I don't have most of my toys from either of those places. You didn't have Build-A-Bear Workshop or Disney Store as options. I have more stuffed animals than I do action figures.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:38 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Fone Bone wrote:
You didn't have Build-A-Bear Workshop or Disney Store as options. I have more stuffed animals than I do action figures.

Those would fall under the "Other Retail" category or perhaps the "Other (please explain)" :mrgreen:

I'm with bnjm. I really like to SEE and touch what I'm buying. And I like to compare paint apps, something you can't do online. Therefore I'm mostly a retail guy.

I will use BBTS for things like exclusives (I've bought the Predaking set from them, as well as several SW and GIJOE sets), and I've started looking at Amazon more (got Red Arrow and the Lizard GLMM from them) ever since I got an Amazon credit card. But I usually only buy when I can get the free shipping.

Ebay is almost entirely reserved for my D&D hobby, buying single minatures and old books, although the occasional Heroclix and action figure works it's way in.

If I was in an area with a deficit of retail options, I'd probably use online sources more often.

Trade Rating +55 and counting