Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: There really ARE Kind people out there!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:14 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

So I've been buying on ebay with my personal account like a fiend the last few months. I've sold about 11 or items in the last month. I have a feeback of 68 original feedback. With at least well over 70+ transactions. I normally am very fast to pay as my feedback would reflect. However this past week I'm sitting on a few items I won because I'm waiting on this hold of funds in my Paypal account. Even though the items are delivered and I have positive feedback funds are not released due to technical errors. So they are sorting them out. -ugh- This is why I hate Paypal and always have...

I have contacted everyone that I will pay asap this week as I have been told the freeze should lift tonight or tomorrow.

Well, I bought a DCD stuffed Streaky the Cat for my wife. Huge Supergirl and Wonder Woman fanatic. I have yet to pay for it and yet tonight it's marked as shipped... with positive feedback left and a tracking number! So I contact the seller and explain "I have yet to pay for this, I know I haven't, what's happening?"

They tell me, they are leaving for vacation and my promise to pay them was good enough for them...

This simply floored me. I was well moved by this and simply can't wait to pay them!

Last edited by Van Statten on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: There really ARE King people out there!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:18 pm 
MINT!

It's awesome to hear a feel good story about ebay. Most of what I hear is about how this seller sent phony product or that buyer now refuses to pay up.

Post subject: Re: There really ARE Kind people out there!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:43 pm 

That's true BoDad...

And I now just spotted my typo in the tittle -ugh-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:39 pm 
Cold-cast

Sorry to rain on your parade, but as an eBay seller he really has no other option than to accept whatever you do and be polite to you while you do it. If this were the old days you'd likely be getting negative feedback, but now sellers can't leave negative feedback - only buyers can. He has the threat of that hanging over his head like a Sword of Damocles, hence the kindness. As an eBay seller myself, I've dealt with problematic buyers, I am always polite to avoid negative feedback. I'm always like "yeah, whatever you want, it's no problem" but inside I'm thinking about how much I want to smack the person.

And just because a package is marked as shipped with a tracking number doesn't mean it's actually shipped. Most sellers print the tracking labels off the computer, and automatically mark every auction as "shipped" as soon as it ends, as the time it takes them to mark something as shipped effects their seller rating.

BoDad, as for sellers selling phoney product, that is usually a scam run by buyers making false claims. Paypal will ALWAYS side with the buyer unless the seller gives a ton of proof. With the way it's set up now eBay sellers can't scam anyone, they'd be crazy to even try. I have earned a solid record on eBay as a seller and paypal STILL holds my payments for weeks to give buyers a chance to report any problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:56 pm 

JamesTheRogue wrote:
And just because a package is marked as shipped with a tracking number doesn't mean it's actually shipped. Most sellers print the tracking labels off the computer, and automatically mark every auction as "shipped" as soon as it ends, as the time it takes them to mark something as shipped effects their seller rating.

Hey Troll Boy, I know that, but I can track this one as it was accepted and moved along to a USPS distribution center. Go back to your mother's basement troll. Some people sell 25 items and think themselves an expert. :roll:

He could have easily filed a nonpaying case against me. Which can happen. But he didn't. The deck may be stacked against sellers but it's not as stacked as you make it out to be. If someone doesn't pay you after five days you can file a case in which case if they do nothing you receive the sale credit and a strike goes against them.

If this was me, I wouldn't ship early without payment. NO one ships without payment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:08 pm 
Cold-cast

I imagine the item was cheap then.

He could file a non-paying bidder report, but as you said - he would have to wait 5 days before he could. Then he would have to wait 7 more days while eBay gives you a chance to respond, and if you pay during this time, you can then still leave him negative feedback in retaliation - which even a few can ruin a seller. And by the way, even if you get a non-paid item strike it does nothing to you, it is invisible and does not restrict you in any way, unless you rack up like 7 or 8 of them within a few months.

Sorry, I did not mean to troll, only pointing out that perhaps you shouldn't judge the kindness of the human race by looking at people in submissive positions where they can be hurt but not hurt others. I'll return to my basement now - I like it there. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:57 pm 
MINT!

I think JamesTheRogue is missing the spirit of the post. This isn't about scams or sellers fearing negative feedback. It was about a seller not having the time to wait for payment before he ships the item. The seller could have contacted VS and explained that he would not be able to ship on time due to him not being there but he trusted that VS would do the right thing and pay when he could. To assume the seller acted purely out of fear as opposed to kindness and his/her trust in humanity is exactly that, an assumption.
And also JTR, for someone who has supposedly given up on collecting action figures, you seem to spend an awful lot of time on the action figure forum. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:00 pm 
Cold-cast

I am on here a lot lately because I am conducting biz, posting in the Swap Meet forum and answering PMs of interested parties in my Star Wars and lego minifigure auctions going on now, and for insanely low prices I might add.

You know, if you really want an example of people trusting each other, look at that subforum. People ship first all the time there, I sent veil1 some minifigs once, before I was paid, and sent Stewbacca some cash in the mail for marbs before he shipped.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:22 pm 
5" Scale

Once again, you are missing the point of his thread JTR :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:26 am 
MINT!

JamesTheRogue wrote:
You know, if you really want an example of people trusting each other, look at that subforum. People ship first all the time there, I sent veil1 some minifigs once, before I was paid, and sent Stewbacca some cash in the mail for marbs before he shipped.

So did you ship prior to payment out of fear or because you trusted the buyer? Or maybe you had faith that the buyer was an honest human being?

I like to think that there are genuinely kind people on this planet that like to extend that same sentiment toward humanity and think that if they ultimately get burned that it is a shame on the other person and not themselves. It's called trust. Some people are less cynical about the world than others. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:46 am 
Daniel Pickett

JamesTheRogue wrote:
I am on here a lot lately because I am conducting biz, posting in the Swap Meet forum and answering PMs of interested parties in my Star Wars and lego minifigure auctions going on now, and for insanely low prices I might add.

Wow. Never miss an opportunity to shill do ya James.

That's your last one. If you want to be a part of the community and discuss things that's fine. But if you are just coming here to plug your auctions as posts then you can take it elsewhere.

D.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:45 am 
Aspires to be #1

That's all he's ever done. He came in wanting to know what the rare figures were for every line. Disagreed with anyone who wanted those rare figures re-released and then started trying to sell anything and everything he had.

Ignore him Van. Great story and I'm glad you had a good experience on eBay. It's refreshing (but also sad that it doesn't happen more often) when you hear a story about people being kind to one another.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:43 am 
Cold-cast

Julius Marx himself, laying the hammer down. I apologize, you will see no more selling related posts from me outside the swap meet forum. I even deleted my signature.

I am sorry to everyone I have ever pissed off here, I don't know what it is about me that seems to rub people the wrong way.