Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

How would you describe your collecting habits?
I don't really buy anything. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I have a few things here and there and don't spend too much. 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
I spend quite a bit of money on my hobby, but I don't go nuts. 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
I used to buy a lot, but have cut back considerably. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
If I'm not careful I end up spending more than I really should. 30%  30%  [ 7 ]
I knowingly spend more than I should, but I can't help it! 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I will put other necessities aside in order to make purchases. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I will (or have) put my family's well-being aside to buy stuff. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's completely out of control. 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
It used to be out of control, but I have since re-prioritized. 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 23
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:01 pm 
Hat Pooper

its just nonsense

lots of people collect various things for example my mum collects thimbles from all over the world.a friend collects stamps.my uncle collects world war 1 and 2 memorabilia and medals and stuff.

so if toy collectors are fat and obese what are people who collect other things?
people do not get fat because they collect toys they get fat due to health problems and also lack of excercise and proper diet and also things like depression and stopping smoking.

how many people do you know have went to see their doctor about weight problems and said to the dr im obese and dont know why?.

im pretty sure the dr wouldnt reply with hmm do you perhaps collect toys? because that causes obesity.

its total nonsense and a stereotype by people that think they are cool and assume that people that like what is uncool to them like toy collecting are then automatically little fat smelly weak single ugly guys.

people can collect anything that they want it does not cause obesity and has no scientific merit to that statement.
no real scientist or doctor would say oh your obesity is caused by the fact you collect action figures.

i neither know like or dislike james as have never spoke to him before but i find his statement that toy collectors are obese because they collect toys is utter nonsense and quite surprised that someone would come onto a toy collecting forum and make a comment like that knowing full well that it would irritate people and perhaps upset and hurt some members on here who may actually have a weight problem.

i say again
toy collector ..... hello doctor i am putting on weight and i dont know why or whats causing it.
doctor... tell me mr x do you collect toys?
toy collector.... why yes i do in fact i just recently bought deadpool on ebay.
doctor..... ah yes thats it! that explains it! your obviously fat and becoming obese because you collect toys.

BULLS**T!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:18 pm 
Cold-cast

I never used the word "obese" I said overweight. When I think of the word "obese" I think of someone who can't walk around on their own and needs to ride a motorized scooter inside a store - and there aren't many of us like that.

And also never wrote that "toy collecting causes obesity", I just wrote that behavioral addictions like compulsive shopping and compulsive eating are related and work via the same neurotransmitter.

I, for one, have problems with over-eating. I often buy 32 oz party sized bags of peanut butter M&Ms and then proceed to eat them in the course of 2 days, and I am getting a bit pudgy around the middle. I just can't stop eating them.

It is on a case by case basis. That was the point of this post and the poll, to see how many people may have a genuine toy shopping addiction, and indeed the majority wrote that they "buy more than they should". Yes, your mom may collect thimbles, but does she spend hundreds or thousands of dollars per month on them, and spend hours each week driving around to stores looking for thimbles, and have a dedicated thimble room at home where shelves must be arranged in rows, library style, to make room for them all?

Last edited by JamesTheRogue on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:21 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Wade, don't feed the troll... let it go... let the blood flow through the fingers...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:24 pm 
Cold-cast

Accusing people of being trolls can be a form of trolling itself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:43 pm 
Hat Pooper

a dedicated thimble room at home where shelves must be arranged in rows, library style, to make room for them all?

funnily enough yes she does actually she has special made displays that clip onto the walls in racks and each one displays 100 thimbles and yes she does go around stores looking for thimbles and metal ones and ceramic ones.

and uncle travels the world for authentic war stuff he regularly goes to france for markets.

fair enough not obese then but overweight but its obvious that you meant fatties like toys.

anyway ive said my thoughts on the matter old chap and i bid you adieu and wish you a tip top day and lay of the chocolate or people will think your getting fat because you like toys and then they will assume your ugly and have no life or girlfriend apparently its a scientific and medically proven and sound fact

bwa ha ha ha
smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast baby :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:56 pm 
5th Horseman

Okay:

1) Again... correlation does not equal causation. Collecting action figures wouldn't necessarily CAUSE a person to be overweight. There simply may be a relationship.

2) Anecdotal evidence, such as "Aunt Bernice", "this one guy I knew", etc... is not the same as a thorough and scientific approach. It doesn't hold up as valid argument. And again, there is always an exception.

3) We are distinguishing here between people who collect and people who suffer from addictive behavior related to neurotransmitters and dopamine levels. Just because I have a beer a couple times a week doesn't make me an alcoholic. Keep in mind, Deadpool, we're not discussing the casual social drinker. We're talking about the alcoholic who is in danger of doing irreparable damage to his life. We have to differentiate the normal from the abnormal. We are NOT talking about the normal collector.

3) Psychology is not bull****

4) Everything James is saying is still rational and backed up by scientific research.

5) To argue this, it has to remain civil and rational. Once either of those two things are out of the equation, the entire argument goes down the toilet. But... this is an AFI message board, so we can pretty much kiss civil and rational argument goodbye, so this thread, which was intended to help people, is now garbage.

-J

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:00 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Gentlemen...seriously?

James has done nothing to attack any of you on this thread, despite you resorting to repeated name-calling and generally unpleasantness. You can discuss, disagree, and share opinions, but the uncalled-for attacks and 'witty' banter is done. I also deleted the uneccessary posts, as they contributed nothing to a valuable and interesting thread. Please keep it respectful moving forward.

Clear?

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:09 pm 
Hat Pooper

4) Everything James is saying is still rational and backed up by scientific research.

okay so where exactly does it state in any medical or scientific journal or paper that one of the causes of people being overweight is toy collecting?
or toy collecting causes weight gain?
or people that collect toys are fat?.

how has this information been gathered? by a global survey and every toy collectors weight being monitored since they all started collecting worldwide?.

and the thread is still helping actually because one person cant say publicly that toy collectors are fat and the cause is toys without there being an opposite opinion otherwise an overweight person on the forum who collects toys may think omg im a fatty because ive been collecting toys and may stop the hobby they enjoy.

i never attacked him in any way
coming on a toy collecting forum and stating that people that collect toys are generally overweight and its because of toy collecting is obviously going to cause irritation.
but its not scientically or medically backed up at all and if it is then where are the published medical journals or books on this and where does it state that toy collecting causes weight gain?

im interested in this as im certainly not fat but if i decide to enter amateur mma cage circuit with my gym and need to go up a weight class for a upcoming fight ill be sure not to bulk up by food or anything instead ill go 3 or 4 times a week to my local toy store and buy some action figures to help put the weight on

thats how absurd it is in my eyes
its like saying its a scientific fact that people that dont collect toys are underweight or dont gain weight.

Last edited by deadpool on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:19 pm 
Cold-cast

HalJordanist wrote:
We are distinguishing here between people who collect and people who suffer from addictive behavior related to neurotransmitters and dopamine levels.

Exactly. I am not saying every instance of collecting is pathological. I am saying when it gets to the point where it's having a negative impact on that person's life, financially or otherwise, and they want to cut back on it but they can't - then that's when it becomes a behavioral addiction.

And yes, Deadpool, your Mom collects thimbles, but I doubt she spends thousands, or even hundreds of dollars per month on them. You can get a sizable collection of thimbles for $50. Now go compare that to what a collection of, say, MOTUC costs. Let's see shelf of thimbles - $50. Shelf of MOTUC - $1000.

As for all the bashing of me, hey, it's online - it doesn't matter. I can see how it would be a sensitive topic for some people and I forgive the people calling me names. *hug hug* GreenArrow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:28 pm 
Hat Pooper

james
i love you man long time i never bashed you theres a big cuddle here for you man i just feel strongly opposed to your comment but that doesnt mean i dont wanna have your babies x :lol: .

only thing im disputing is your comment saying that people are overweight due to toy collecting.

if thats true then it must also be true that people that dont collect dont gain weight.

and if as you say they spend so much money on toys like thouands then where are they getting the money to buy all the food they eat to gain weight?.

i ask you good sir show me proof where it states in a medical or scientific paper or journal that toy collecting cause weight gain.

and how this evidence was gathered being that toy collecting is a massive worldwide hobby by millions of people was there a survey i missed?.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:39 pm 
Cold-cast

Deadpool, as I've been trying to tell you. I never wrote that toy collecting caused weight gain. I wrote that compulsive shopping and compulsive eating are similar behaviors.

As for where people are getting the money to drop $1000 per month on toys and still afford food, the answer is they have good jobs. Not like a teenager job but you know a real job where they're making $30,000 per year or more. Once someone actually has the money to spend then the addictive side of this hobby can truly come into play.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:26 am 
Hat Pooper

you did so sir you cad i take my glove off to you slip slap! i challenge thee.

anyway lets agree to disagree ok babe its getting boring now

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:55 pm 
3 3/4"

I gained a massive amount of weight (almost 60 pounds) a few years ago, but I gained it because I had a very sedentary job at the time (I sat in a cubicle for 15 hours a day). Once I got out of that job (PS best decision I ever made) and began getting myself back to a realistic work scedual my extra time was spent fixing things I had neglected around my house (cause I would come hom, sleep, go to to work and so on) and the weight finally came off, nearly back to the weight I was before I got that stupid job now.

Just pointing out there are tons of factors that effect weight gain and loss is all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:21 pm 
5th Horseman

JamesTheRogue wrote:
HalJordanist wrote:
We are distinguishing here between people who collect and people who suffer from addictive behavior related to neurotransmitters and dopamine levels.

Exactly. I am not saying every instance of collecting is pathological. I am saying when it gets to the point where it's having a negative impact on that person's life, financially or otherwise, and they want to cut back on it but they can't - then that's when it becomes a behavioral addiction.

And yes, Deadpool, your Mom collects thimbles, but I doubt she spends thousands, or even hundreds of dollars per month on them. You can get a sizable collection of thimbles for $50. Now go compare that to what a collection of, say, MOTUC costs. Let's see shelf of thimbles - $50. Shelf of MOTUC - $1000.

As for all the bashing of me, hey, it's online - it doesn't matter. I can see how it would be a sensitive topic for some people and I forgive the people calling me names. *hug hug* GreenArrow.

Hug me as much as you want James I still think your a prat, and he is still trying to bait people - but hey he never does anything wrong, lol.

James your a snake and you always will be.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:46 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Alright, ENOUGH. Apparently I wasn't clear enough. Take some time to cool off during your ban.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next