Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

How would you describe your collecting habits?
I don't really buy anything. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I have a few things here and there and don't spend too much. 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
I spend quite a bit of money on my hobby, but I don't go nuts. 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
I used to buy a lot, but have cut back considerably. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
If I'm not careful I end up spending more than I really should. 30%  30%  [ 7 ]
I knowingly spend more than I should, but I can't help it! 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I will put other necessities aside in order to make purchases. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I will (or have) put my family's well-being aside to buy stuff. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's completely out of control. 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
It used to be out of control, but I have since re-prioritized. 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 23
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:03 am 
User avatar
5th Horseman
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:25 am
Posts: 784
Location: Salina, Kansas
Van Statten wrote:
HalJordanist wrote:
One more rhetorical question: If you're right, then why am I overweight? :lol:

Over eating
Stress
A predisposition upon birth
you're lazy
you like fatty food
your mother was an Italian cook
your calories burned per day doesn't match your carbohydrate intake
Big boned (okay, I can't say that one with a straight face, even I know that's a crock)
Maybe you're just... overweight?


Stress + liking fatty food + Variable X = overeating and taking in more calories than I burn daily

Why do a good number of people over-eat until it greatly affects their health, even when the try over and over to correct themselves and lose weight; get healthy? Because it is influenced and supported by Variable X (= neurologically triggered chemical reactions [i.e., dopamine and serotonin]). Because the addiction to that chemical reaction that makes you feel good is instant gratification and more tangible than any weight loss goal. So, in order to beat the addiction, it's mind over matter. You have to hold true no matter what. Until you balance out and begin turning the tables to where you alter what triggers the chemical reaction. Sure, lots of people can do it. Most cannot.

No matter how you slice it, all the variables are there. 1+1=2. 1+1+2=4. It's a consistent variable, no matter how you choose to mix it up, or what other variables you decide to throw in. No matter how many other numbers you add, subtract, multiply, and divide... broken down to base components, 1+1 will always equal 2.

It's all about process, and you're overlooking steps. :wink:

_________________
"...To rejoice at the sight of my superhero action figures is to live in a shrine of fictive meaning festooned with idols and icons of the gods of imagination." -Dr. Robert M. Price


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:14 am 
User avatar
5th Horseman
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:25 am
Posts: 784
Location: Salina, Kansas
I'm overweight because I have issues with impulse control and satiety. The same symptoms that lead to out-of-control spending. I need more and more and more (toys or food), because I couldn't be satisfied with just enough. You build up a resistance, just like those addicted to drugs and alcohol. You constantly need to increase your "dose" to achieve the desired effect.

Out of control toy collecting. Out of control eating. Both brought about by the same type of mental process and chemical reactions. That's a scientific fact. If anyone refuses to believe that and fails to acknowledge loads of scientific research spread across a couple of centuries... well, no one can force you to be rational, and I have yet to see any solid refutation that isn't based solely on unfounded opinion.

You can disagree if you like. The Pope once disagreed with Magellan. Didn't make him right.

Cheers,
J

_________________
"...To rejoice at the sight of my superhero action figures is to live in a shrine of fictive meaning festooned with idols and icons of the gods of imagination." -Dr. Robert M. Price


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:12 am 
User avatar
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:59 pm
Posts: 4
Location: Salina, KS
...Or you're overweight because when you wife won't let you spend money on toys... you spend it on food? ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:27 am 
User avatar
5th Horseman
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:25 am
Posts: 784
Location: Salina, Kansas
Mrs.HalJordanist wrote:
...Or you're overweight because when you wife won't let you spend money on toys... you spend it on food? ;)


That's a good possibility. But I bet she's not nearly as discouraging when it comes to good eats as she is when it comes to little plastic people. :wink:

_________________
"...To rejoice at the sight of my superhero action figures is to live in a shrine of fictive meaning festooned with idols and icons of the gods of imagination." -Dr. Robert M. Price


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:22 pm 
Hat Pooper
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 am
Posts: 576
Location: Redlands, CA
deadpool wrote:
not everyone was being offensive and made valid points against his theory that toy collecting caused people to get overweight.


Except he never said that. The same thing that causes people to become obsessive about their hobbies, toy collecting included, also causes a tendency to overeat. Maybe if you read what he said instead of leaping to offense, you might learn something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:26 pm 
5" Scale
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1795
The entire argument that James says that toy collecting makes you overweight was a complete strawman. Even after James clarified multiple times that's not what he said or what he meant people keep saying that's what he said. And when people were asking for proof of the scientific links between addictive behaviors Hal Jordanist provided us a nifty little list and the person asking for the links chose to disbelieve them anyways. Deadpool, you're not debating on the merits. Your entire argument is faith-based. You've started at a conclusion and no evidence to the contrary whatsoever will sway you.

I think that's probably because you felt a bit personally insulted by the idea that some toy collectors are fat. Which is a shame because there is a definite stigma to being overweight in this country despite a large percentage of Americans being obese. If you really find the argument that offensive, maybe you should ask yourself why you do. I'm personally overweight but I don't put a value judgment on it. It's neither good nor bad as to how I see myself. I think people who have a real problem with fat people are the ones with the hang-ups.

_________________
There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:42 pm 
User avatar
Hat Pooper
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:08 pm
Posts: 580
Location: BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!..
Cephus wrote:
deadpool wrote:
not everyone was being offensive and made valid points against his theory that toy collecting caused people to get overweight.


Except he never said that. The same thing that causes people to become obsessive about their hobbies, toy collecting included, also causes a tendency to overeat. Maybe if you read what he said instead of leaping to offense, you might learn something.


i did read what he said and although not in those words thats what he meant.

and who do you think you are being cheeky and offensive towards me? in no comment was i cheeky or offensive towards james or anyone discussing the matter so who the hell do you think you are telling me to learn something.

always someone like you has to come on and try turns things nasty or make smart ass comments.
so how about you go and learn how to talk to people first instead of trying to make out they are dumb or need to learn because they disagree with something you believe.
:evil:

_________________
Image
"My common sense is tingling."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:48 pm 
User avatar
Hat Pooper
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:08 pm
Posts: 580
Location: BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!..
at the end of the day the guy made out in his comment that toy collecting was a cause of people being overweight.regardless of how he worded it in the hopes of causing an argument which he has achieved.

and just because i feel a way about something then thats my opinion just as you are allowed to have an opposite opinion.

why the hell would i feel insulted by the comment? im not fat im a retired infantryman i served 6 years in the black watch im very fit and now i train at a mma gym 3 nights a week and anyone who has ever been in a mma gym will tell you its very hard workouts and fitness so no im not taking it personally or anything.

he made the comment to stir up an argument wording it in different way but basically to be able to sit back and watch the drama unfold

who else would come on toy collecting forum and hint that toy collecting can be a cause of people getting overweight regardless of how it was worded its complete nonsense

_________________
Image
"My common sense is tingling."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:57 pm 
5" Scale
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1795
Judging by yours and Green Arrow's reaction I'm guessing there is a history or something between James and some other members of this board? If he was trolling I'll drop it but the level of vitriol hit at the guy for such a minor statement leads me to believe that he might have a history of picking fights and trolling on this board. Because if he DOESN'T have a history of doing that the responses (especially Green Arrow's) were unwarranted. Did I miss something?

_________________
There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:59 pm 
Cold-cast
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:50 pm
Posts: 432
I have made a few controversial posts here, like two years ago when I admitted to hiding figures in a store, but I have never had any problems with Deadpool or GreenArrow before. The the intensity of their hateful responses was a bit shocking to me too. You should have seen the things GreenArrow wrote before the mod deleted them, crazy, crazy stuff to have that much emotion attached to someone you don't know from an online forum. I think what we saw was a few very sensitive people engaging in online mobbing.

It would be one thing if I wasn't a toy collector myself, but I have spent $10,000 on toys these past two years, don't you think that gives me a little room to talk? I have seen pictures of Deadpool's collection and it's like 50 MU figures. I don't think someone with 50 MU figures should get angry when a guy like me who has spent $10,000 on toys wants to talk about toy addiction in a thread that is dedicated to the topic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:19 pm 
User avatar
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8952
Location: Colorado
deadpool - ENOUGH ALREADY. I'm tired of babysitting this thread because you want to keep arguing.
deadpool wrote:
i did read what he said and although not in those words thats what he meant.
What he "meant" is entirely subjective, and you have chosen to infer that James wanted to insult you. That is your choice. But at no point did he directly insult anyone, and your efforts to prove otherwise are not contributing anything to this discussion. If you cannot rationally discuss your views, then move on. This is your last warning. Clear?

_________________
Keep up with the latest news on the AFi facebook page!
http://www.facebook.com/ActionFigureInsider

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:12 am 
User avatar
Hat Pooper
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:08 pm
Posts: 580
Location: BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!..
the superfly

where exactly have i said that james had intended to personally insult me?.
im not wanting to argue i was polite but i had a different opinion on what was said i also think i said twice i had no problem with james and have never spoke with him before this thread.

jamestherogue
you said
the intensity of their hateful responses was a bit shocking to me too.

where was i hateful towards you? perhaps the other guy said nasty things or whatever but i certainly did not.

i thought this was a public forum yet if you disagree with someones point of view you get threatened wow free speech and all that.
i never mobbed anyone and if i didnt like you james i would simply say i dont like you and not speak with you but.
infact i remember jokingly saying i loved you and would have your babies yet now you try and make out that im being hateful towards you.

really fair guys thanks but at least ill know in future not to disagree with anyone or have a different point of view.

but its fine i wont post again

_________________
Image
"My common sense is tingling."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:46 am 
User avatar
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8952
Location: Colorado
Obviously, you aren't getting it. Having a different opinion isn't the issue - being able to articulate your thoughts in a mature, thoughtful manner that contributes to the discussion is the focus of my response. Although your viewpoint is valid, the manner in which your are sharing that viewpoint is not appropriate.

deadpool wrote:
sterotypical bullsh*t.
deadpool wrote:
the people that make those statements are just secretly jealous that they dont collect and have no guts to do so because they fear the reaction of what others would say about them or perhaps think about them for toy collecting.
deadpool wrote:
you sir talk more sh*t than ten a*sholes.
deadpool wrote:
BULLS**T!
deadpool wrote:
who the hell do you think you are telling me to learn something.

Do you really think these are appropriate responses that convey your thoughts properly? Save the guesses - they are NOT. The fact that you don't recognize this is the reason I need to keep babysitting this thread. And I'm tired of it.

This isn't a public forum.

Free speech has nothing to do with this forum.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/otte ... -yourself/

Our points have all been made, so leave it alone. Move on. No more warnings.

_________________
Keep up with the latest news on the AFi facebook page!
http://www.facebook.com/ActionFigureInsider

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:48 am 
User avatar
Hat Pooper
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:08 pm
Posts: 580
Location: BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!..
nothing hateful there at all most was me being jokey and light hearted and one of the comments was to cepheus about learning as he was being offensive towards me stating that i dont learn anything which by the way i notice nothing was said to him about that and it was to cepheus not jamestherogue.

and as for the way i put my thoughts down and you dont like it well perhaps everyone is different im from scotland we speak and articulate in a different way from say america or other countries
over here we reguarly swear and things calling each other profanities and joke a lot but in warm ways thats the way we are here but its toned down on here by me as i did not type the full swearword or anything most of those comments were in a playful way no need to be so serious all the time its a forum about toy collecting for goodness sake.
and i have seen many posts on this forum with people spelling out swear words with missing letters not just me.

love the statements you made
This isn't a public forum.

Free speech has nothing to do with this forum.

really free speech has nothing to do with a forum ive never heard that before
so people are not allowed to say what they think on a matter unless you agree with it.
basically if someone doesnt type in a manner you like or they dont agree or go along with the majority or what you think then they have no right to voice their opinions
if thats the case as in your statement then yes i suppose its not a public forum and free speech isnt allowed then its more like a dictatorship and if you dont agree you get WARNINGS and banned thats awesome man.

i thought everyone was entitled to voice their opinions and nothing i said was hateful at all why would i hate james ive never spoke to him before on here. in fact a few times i mentioned i love him and things and was being friendly and jokey with him.
but obviously the required reaction was gained as someone was banned and now im threatened and given warnings its a nice precedent to set showing anyone strongly disagrees with something someone posts then they get threats and banned.

i had no interest in arguing i was enjoying discussing it.

_________________
Image
"My common sense is tingling."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toy Addiction (please take the time to read this post)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm 
User avatar
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8952
Location: Colorado
I'm not sure if you're being purposefully obtuse, or you just don't care. Either way, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and carefully explain it.

Freedom of Speech - The right, guaranteed by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, to express beliefs and ideas without unwarranted government restriction.

"Freedom of Speech" has absolutely nothing to do with this action figure forum. A forum is not a nation-state, and the members are not citizens, so the concept of "free speech" is null in this context. The only place you truly have "free speech" is in a public place - your own forum - where you are the only one talking. And you are certainly welcome to start your own website and say whatever you'd like.

But AFi is a private forum, that you chose to sign up for. And by signing up, you agreed to follow the rules of the forum. Excerpts are highlighted below:
Quote:
By accessing “Action Figure Insider” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “Action Figure Insider”, “http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “Action Figure Insider”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “Action Figure Insider” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Action Figure Insider” is hosted or International Law.

You agree that “Action Figure Insider” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

So you posted material that breaks the rules of the private forum we created, and then claim you have a right to do so because it's just "jokey"?
And somehow you are exempt from our rules because it's culturally acceptable in your country?
When asked to cease with these actions, you then claim to have a right to break our rules because it's protected by "free speech"?

Come on.

I try to give members here the freedom to say what they need to say, just as long as they accept the duty to use it responsibly and respectfully (ie no flaming, personal vendettas, etc). You have not only shown a disregard for this freedom, in this thread and on previous discussions, but you also cannot seem to listen to the most basic of instruction from the moderators of this forum. I've repeatedly asked you to leave it alone and move on, but yet you still want to argue. To what end? What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

I don't like banning members, because frankly, it's not fun. Despite personal differences, we are all here for the same reasons. And I really don't like reprimanding members in public, but you have chosen to engage in this format, and I will respond in kind. You can repeat "free speech!" and "censorship!" over and over, but at the end of the day, everyone here is discussing topics on my property - I wouldn't tolerate insults, abuse, or ignorance in my own home, and I'm not going to tolerate it on my forums. If you think that somehow you are exempt from all rules for this forum, then your participation here will be very brief.

The choice is yours.

_________________
Keep up with the latest news on the AFi facebook page!
http://www.facebook.com/ActionFigureInsider

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.033s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]