Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Future of DC toys?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:16 am 
Since it sounds like bot the Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited shows on Cartoon Network will be canceled soon, what does this mean to the toy lines?

Obviously, it would be hard for Bandai (TT) and Mattel (JLU) to continue to crank out prodcuts without a media tie-in, but what happens next?

I've been very impressed with these toys from the start. Not much on articulation, but the designs are great and my son plays with them all the time. As a lifetime DC Comics fan, I couldn't be happier.

Which is why I'm a little glum to see them go. I've noticed Mattel has changed the actual packaging to say DC Comics Super Heroes, so maybe they're already transitioning into a post-JLU market.

Any thoughts or additional info?

- FE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:02 am 
shirtless hugger

This has been discussed several other places on this board, basically we're guaranteed all of the 2006 product, and based on how long the Batman animated line lasted after the end of that show it's expected we'll get some product in 2007 as well. Beyond that it's unknown, but Mattel is committed to continuing the line if it continues to sell.

As for tie-ins, it's been mentioned that Cartoon Network has yet to take advantage of repeating the original episodes very much, so presumably they will do so when the show ends. Also remember that the Batman and Superman animated series are shown nightly on the Cartoon Network's sister channel Boomerang.

In addition there are spinoffs in the works, the most likely one of which seems to be a Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes show. Based on the transition to the generic DC Superheroes line name, I would speculate that it might be possible for Mattel to release both lines under this banner, and use the LOSH line to support the continued JLU line.

Post subject: Ooops...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:32 pm 
...sorry if I was repeating any info.

Do you really think they'd make a Supergirl/LSH line? Don't those characters have substantially less name recognition than the JLU?

(Of course, if you'd have told me 5 years ago that my son's collection would include figures of Wildcat, Metamorpho, Hawk and Dove, I would have caled you a liar...)

And how is it that I can still find Hasbro-made Batman Animated figures at CVS drug stores in the Cleveland/Akron OH area?

- FE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:03 am 
shirtless hugger

No problem with repetition of info, it's spread all about, you have to watch the boards every day to get it all, really.

As for name recognition, it's all about being on the show. The Mattel rep Boy Wonder has said sales of the Flash for example improve when he has a larger presence on the series. Kids have to learn these character's names somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:33 pm 
Former King of Posts

I think what is displayed at Toy Fair next weekend will give us a good clue as to where the various DC lines are heading.