Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Your White Whale
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:01 am 
3 3/4"

Is there any toy or DVD you have wanted but can never get. Be it always outbided on ebay or just never seen it in stores

Solomon Grundy from the JLU. When bidding hits 50 bucks loose its time to hang it up and wait for the next one

Gi Joe Best of Battle Pack number 5. Odds are Ill see Elvis slow dance TuPac before I can get this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:51 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

For me, its never any one item for a particularly long time. If I have a hole in the collection and I can't fill it in a reasonable amount of time I either move on or just dump the collection in its entirety. The OCD in me won't let me keep something incomplete for any amount of time. Plus my collections are relatively fluid in that I get bored having the same thing for too long and dump old stock to make room for new.

The only toys I am jonesing for at the moment are the Monty Python and the Holy Grail 12". They pop up from time to time at a variety of prices. But I want the whole damn shebang in one fell swoop so as not to waste my time piecemealing the damn thing as I just don't have the patience.

And, if you were to corner me and say I HAD to choose one figure, it would be he S:TAS Lois Lane figure. I saw plenty of them in the store when they were new but couldn't justify rebuying all the other figures I already had (little did I know what JLU would do to me) and now she tops out close to $40ish when she even shows up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:15 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Muppets Backstage Playset... I didn't have the cash to buy it when it first came out and now it seems like I find them on eBay when I don't have the money and they're never there when I do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:56 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I have two current White Whales:

1) The Marvel Universe Bullseye

2) The NYCC Marvel Mini-mate Civil War exclusive 4-pack

And one old one:

The G1 Predacon combiner set. Predaking is the only combiner I really want that I don't have.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:13 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

That fifth MASS Device DVD pack is the proverbial Holy Grail for many of us right now.

If I went back and started collecting Marvel Legends with the initial 2002 wave I would probably go broke by the time I got to the Giant-Man BAF series. Anything Marvel made by Toy Biz prior to Legends is bound to be less expensive.

One high-end item I might never own is the set of imported Seven Samurai figures from Japan. Twelve-inch scaled, with accurate costumes and accessories for each character. I just made do by looking at a picture of the group on display. :cry:

Getting back into vintage Star Wars or G.I. Joe during the current financial downturn is pretty much another Great White Whale for me at this stage.

Dang, I'm really depressed now... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:47 pm 
serves the Otter

Vintage Joe is pretty cheap right now, if you're planning on getting in. At least in terms of what it was a few years ago.

I'm not sure I have a White Whale at the moment, I've managed to snag a few. Probably just some figures I can't afford or can't convince myself to pay that much for. I don't really consider that the same as not being able to obtain them.

I'd love a Hot Toys ED-209 though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:58 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Right now for me it's been Chaos Magic Grundy from JLU and Abin Sur from DCUC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:03 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

I have a couple. G1 Pretenders Vroom and Skyhammer. I've seen them on eBay a couple of times but there too expensive. Another would be a complete Thundercats Cheetara. It will be awhile before I can save up for these.

Shellhead wrote:

And one old one:

The G1 Predacon combiner set. Predaking is the only combiner I really want that I don't have.

That's an awesome combiner set, far superior to the other G1 combiners. I was able to pick up an incomplete one up at a local comic shop and get the parts at BotCon several years back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:21 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

You lucky duck!

I saw a complete set in a gift box at Comicon, but the guy wanted like $250 for it. I'm sorry, but that's way out of my price range.

I can't believe Hasbro hasn't redone these guys yet.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:37 pm 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Jim_Abell wrote:
Muppets Backstage Playset...

Same here, Jim. I can't recall if I had seen it at retail but some end of the line fatigue must have set in for me and I passed. Very stupid.

Otherwise, I've been trying to get a vintage Mattel Battlestar Galactica Boray. Not super difficult or expensive but I've just set a reasonable limit and its been really slow in coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:20 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Not to rub it in but ... I have the Muppets Backstage playset and it is truly one of the most amazing display pieces I have ever owned. Sadly, I missed the Chef with Lobster Banditos and have been casually hunting for them ever since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:13 am 
3 3/4"

Vintage MIB Jabba the Hutt set. I've had several opportunities to get it for almost nothing and whiffed. It's not incredibly difficult to get, nor all that expensive, generally, but I've always wanted one and the timing has never been right.

One day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:36 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Right now mine is the Disney Big Figure of Darth Goofy--

I had a chance to grab the set of these when they came out for 900-- but I didnt want to drop all that at the time-- so the one I skipped was goofy -- and of course he is the one currently going for well over 600.-- one auction hit 1050.00...

They were hard to find for about 2 years-- but since they have hit this price range-- they pop up on ebay pretty regular now...(of course the edition was limited to 300- so Im sure they will dry up eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:24 pm 
ABS

I'm not a completist. I've only ever collected every single figure from one line, Hasbro's JLA.

and I didn't even TECHNICALLY complete it, as I missed out on the Toy Fare exclusive Reverse Flash, as well as all of the Direct Market Boxed Set exclusives.

but I do have every single carded figure, still MOC. Including the Atom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:52 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

The JLA Atom is a cool figure for its time. I picked it up because it fit in kinda nicely with my Super Powers stuff. I really wish Kenner could have given us a classic Ray Palmer Atom back in 1986. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next