Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Geoff Beckett Indy Comic Book Action Figure Line
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:39 am 
Brand Manager

Good news about the Indy Comic Book figures! (ex-Shocker toys)

Looks like some of them are alredy making it's way back to US shelves:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

They raised the money thru http://www.gofundme.com (I already contributed). And maybe we'll be able to get figures like The Phantom and Dick Tracy. I already preordered my Tick figure from BBTS.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

:mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Geoff Beckett Indy Comic Book Action Figure Line
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:51 am 
Brand Manager

If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get my Kingdom Come version of Thunderbolt (The golden age Daredevil):

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:35 am 
Displays Backwards

Man, I have read so many bad things about this guy, I am going to avoid his toys like the plague.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:50 am 
Brand Manager

Really? What kind of "things"?

Anyway, to tell the truth I'll be getting the Tick, The Phantom, Zorro, Trenchcoat Dick Tracy and GA Daredevil even if I read that he sold his soul to the devil. LOL :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:15 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Before posting in support of a guy begging for money on a charity site, you may want to do a little research first.

Geoff Beckett has ripped off employees, business partners, comic creators, and customers.
He's a notorious internet tough guy, threatening to sue anyone that doesn't publish glowing praise for everything he does.
This has all been documented for years.
Check out his wikipedia page to start. Check out the discussions at Bleeding Cool and the Fwoosh. Check out the Shocker Toys Better Business Bureau entry.

This guy does not deserve your money.

GBJR Toys is the same company as Shocker Toys with just a new name. There is no record of Shocker Toys being dissolved as a company. There is no record of the creation of a company called GBJR Toys.
It's the same guy running the same scams he has been running for the last dozen years.

There are many oddities concerning the photo you linked to:
#1- as pointed out by Megazarak at the Fwoosh, the figure below the middle top figure still has a Shocker Toys logo on it.

#2- there seems to be an excessive amount of space on the sides of the figures that I wouldn't expect from a box coming from a factory.

#3- I've never opened a case of anything that had the items stacked like that instead of being side by side.

#4- The lid flaps don't look like they have ever been bent to have closed the top of the box.

This isn't a case of product fresh off the boat from the factory in China. It's a mock up of such a case, made to fool people into thinking Geoff is running a legitimate company. It's a bunch of old product with new inserts, placed in a box he bought at Office Depot or wherever.

Geoff Beckett/Shocker Toys/GBJR Toys is a scam.

Last edited by domu on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:27 pm 

Also a huge caution in regards to gofundme: It is a donation site. There is no legal obligation to deliver on anything that is promised as a reward. If you donate to Geoff expecting something in return, chances are that you will never see anything, neither the product nor your money, ever again. It is not like Kickstarter. Once donated, your money is gone, regardless of the goal being met or not.

Notice that Geoff promises that all of the rewards, even the ones that he should already have in hand, "will ship once campaign ends." However, there is no stated end to the campaign. If he reaches the first goal, there are another 4 or 5 stretch goals, all the way up to $85,000, over 3x the original. It is never going to end. People are most likely never getting what they paid for.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 pm 
Displays Backwards

Yeah, those are the kinda "things" I was talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:03 am 
Brand Manager

It's a shame, I was really hoping to see one of these GA Daredevils someday... :?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:56 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

Not only does he still owe people a mail away premium figure from 2008, he stood there at Comicon in 2010, lying to my face, asking us to pay for exclusives that were "stuck in customs", and he'd ship them to us in a week or 2. Folks are still trying in vain to get refunds. I don't donate to for for-profit companies, especially those who stole money from friends. My favorite moment was when he was served a lawsuit by an artist he owed money to at his own panel at Comicon 2011.
Do a little research, you'll save yourself some money and aggravation. Keep in kind, he's been showing these prototypes for over three years now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:29 am 

I'm curious to see what happens with all of this. Luckily I really don't want anything he's pushing since I already have the "Shocker Toys" Tick, but I'd like to see if maybe he actually releases things this time and doesn't rip off lots of people.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:08 am 

Why would this time be any different than any other time in the last 12 years Geoff has been in "business"?

Sure, on occasion, a few figures get made, usually in spite of Geoff.
The Tick was made with the help and funding of Paul Nicholasi/Nomad and the comic book shop Astro-Zombies. Neither have anything good to say about Geoff now:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gbjr-toys-shocker-scam/358197374271073?ref=ts&fref=ts#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=396906357066841&id=358197374271073
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gbjr-toys-shocker-scam/358197374271073?ref=ts&fref=ts#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=383501411740669&id=358197374271073

When on rare occasion things do get made, it's always in service of the long con. Trickle a little out to establish a veneer of legitimacy, then it's easier to get others to "donate" $10,000 to get their comic character made into a toy. He releases a Tick, and it leads to one or two people posting on boards about how they got theirs so all the scam talk is bs. It's used as cover for not delivering on tons of other product he has taken money for, such as the figures Captain Collector mentioned.

Here's a scan of the flyer Geoff was giving out at the 2010 SDCC:
http://twitpic.com/5ttuuw
This was openly, publicly distributed at SDCC as Geoff tried to drum up sales for things he knew he didn't and wouldn't have (because it never existed). When it was posted after the con, Geoff repeatedly had it taken down from pic hosting sites for copyright infringement. Everything he does is sketchy.

Geoff was also taking money for Indie Spotlight series 2 at that con. Out of all that product "sold", only the Tick figure ever got made.

Start adding things up.
200,000+ people at SDCC.
Tons of product "sold."
Nothing ever delivered.
Where does all the money go?
Well, Geoff proudly tweeted this pic from SDCC:
http://twitpic.com/5ttuuw
That's Geoff and friends on his way to a party he sponsored at a strip club. That's where your money will end up if you "donate" to Geoff's fake charity; in the g-string of a stripper. (My mistake. I see Geoff prefers a full nude strip club.)

Last edited by domu on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:53 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

This ones my favorite, although the stripper party pic is tough to beat:

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/07/sdcc_shocker_toys_gets_their_own_shocker.php

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:53 pm 
Master of the Interwebs

What's truly sad is that those properties could really be cool action figures. They just fell into the wrong hands.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:19 pm 

It's a common misconception to think that other companies couldn't make figures of any of the properties that Geoff pretends he is going to release.

- Lots of Geoff's licenses are public domain. Anyone can make toys of those characters. Example: Golden Age Daredevil

- Geoff has never had exclusive deals for anything. That's why it was so funny when LCBH came out with characters that Geoff thought he had sewn up. Example: Madman

- There's a good chance that Geoff himself doesn't even have the rights to most of the figures he has announced.
--- Most of his agreements were made so long ago that they have long since expired. Example: Jack Staff
--- Others, he announced just hoping that the announcement would convince the creator to let him have the license. Example: Invincible and Robert Kirkman

- And the rest of his licenses, frankly, no one outside of the creator and his/her friends and family give a shingbling about. Example: Laserman

If you would like toys of any of the characters Geoff is supposedly making, don't bother waiting for him. Contact the license holder and let them know directly. Contact companies and let them know what you would like. It may seem like a long shot, but it's still way more likely than Geoff actually getting around to making them.

Better yet, get a hold of a decent, reputable customizer and have them make it. You'll have to pay more than Geoff's fairy tale pricing, most likely, but you'll get it faster. It'll look better. And you'll get an actual figure instead of excuses.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:15 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

I think he was even on AFI at one point, arguing about how everything being said about him was a bunch of lies. Never mind all the many MANY links above showing clearly that at the VERY least there's a serious problem, if not an outright scam going on.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".