Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Action Figure Collecting: The End of Days?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:52 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Great points, Shellhead. I'm of the same opinion with much of that.

It's funny - a few responses to my article claim that my opinion is just 'sour grapes' and I'm just an old, bitter, disillusioned fanboy that wants to drag others down with me...yet I have spoken to nearly a dozen fellow collectors about this topic, and all echo the exact same sentiments I wrote about.

So maybe it's not just me...

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:09 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

It's really an occupational hazard of being a long time collector. The same goes for old school fans of comic books and movie franchises.

You and I both know the prequels for Star Wars sucked for the most part. But to the current generation, they were pretty good movies. I helped run a Star Wars club at my school for a few years and the kids LOVED the prequels, but many found the originals boring.

We loved BTAS, but the kids loved BTAB (and will probably love Beware the Batman). As we get older, we keep seeing revamps of stuff (New 52 being a classic example) that we simply can't relate to.

Another example: Arrow. The older fans are "this isn't Ollie, this isn't how it happened, this villain wasn't part of his origin, etc." and thus not enjoying the show (I was never a big Arrow fan, so the inconsistencies don't bug me all that much). But I have a student who LOVES it and it lead him to buying some of the comics.

I fear this disconnect will only grow as I age.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:17 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
It's really an occupational hazard of being a long time collector. The same goes for old school fans of comic books and movie franchises.
You and I both know the prequels for Star Wars sucked for the most part. But to the current generation, they were pretty good movies. I helped run a Star Wars club at my school for a few years and the kids LOVED the prequels, but many found the originals boring.
We loved BTAS, but the kids loved BTAB (and will probably love Beware the Batman). As we get older, we keep seeing revamps of stuff (New 52 being a classic example) that we simply can't relate to.
I fear this disconnect will only grow as I age.

I disagree a little bit with this-- as part of this is due to some of the collectors justnot being able to adapt or accept anything new, I love BTAS, but I love BTAB just as much- I will watch both equally with the same enthusiasm. (Although there is no arguement supporting the NEW 52). Although the prequels are not the best-- if you rewatch the OT with open eyes-- they arent much better and visually technically do not meet todays standards-- I dont like the prequels 100% but some of the character designs and concepts are very good- others not so much-- but reality the same can be said about the OT-- (but seeing that I hate Luke Skywalker almost more than Anakin Skywalker it could be said I am a little jaded- but I have hated the Jedi as a concept in all the movies (not lightsabers) but Jedi themselves- but the same could be said for my hatred of superman..

Vintage Star Wars collectors are usually elitist and look down on the new stuff like it has cooties-- which I really dont understand-- the new figures blow the old ones out of the water---I was born in 1975 and I grew up with star wars toys-- and I gladly dumped them (well all except Sy Snootles) once the new ones came out, (same with my vintage Joes)--

3-3/4 collectors (which I lean towards but dont 100% commit too)-- or 6" scale- always feel the other groups lines are a waste of money and space-- and then both of those look down on things like Galactic Heroes or Super Hero Squad (which in my opinion, the chunky preschool figure style is the best thing to come out in the past 15 years-- they probably make up almost 25% of my collection now)

Skylanders figures have amazing sculpts and great character designs- (but Im sure most AF collectors ignore them as well)-- and even those will have their detractors-- since the next incarnation of them will be able to be removed from their bases and become actual action figures (and already the "Classic Skylander" collectors are bitching about how stupid an idea that is and that they will "boycott" the franchise because of these changes..

Yes the current generation changes where the center is (although I will never understand the Power Rangers fascination (or the Bronies)) , but an open minded collector can change with it as well (and still keep their old likes without betraying it)-- the main example is Ben 10-- I really disliked the new style cartoon, I thought it would be a reboot-- but its just an art change thats keeping all the history (so yes it means going back to the well with the main characters- but its not like SW hasnt done that in every format), so I am still behind it-- as it continues to grow that universe...

SO Im guess Im saying if your heart stays young-- you dont actually have to always have that generation gap-- and you can enjoy each new round of toys for what they are..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:00 pm 
Displays Backwards

Shellhead wrote:

But not everybody feels this way. I've been reading comics since maybe 1985, and I had no problem with the new 52. I've seen plenty of people here and elsewhere whine and complain about wanting to go back to the good old days, but I've never felt this way. I'm okay with change, I think it's necessary for anything to survive. Some people just look through rose colored glasses at the past. Why can't there be good old stuff and good new stuff? I have no problem with the Injustice figures, either - I'm really looking forward to that game.

I even thought the new Star Wars movies were just fine - they were missing heart, which was their biggest flaw, but I think maybe sometimes crabby old men are trying to play the young man's game.

These 5 POA pieces of crap Hasbro and Mattel are slinging at us sure aren't the good new stuff, though. That is not a trend I want to see continue - I hope those lines all fail and that Hasbro realizes what an insult to the GI Joe line those garbage drivers they gave us are.

stewbacca wrote:

SO Im guess Im saying if your heart stays young-- you dont actually have to always have that generation gap-- and you can enjoy each new round of toys for what they are..

Yeah, this is how I feel. There is less of the good stuff upcoming this year, but there is still plenty of good stuff, as long as you don't cling too tightly to the past and abhor change.

Last edited by BCYa on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:08 pm 
Displays Backwards

The Superfly wrote:
If you want to twist my words and just be negative, that is your right, too.

I know this is old, but I just wanted to say, you were the one talking about the End of Days, and I said there was a lot of cool stuff out there. If anything, I'm trying to twist your words and be positive.

Heck, I see on the right of this page that Series 3 of the Thundercats Minimates just came out - those are pretty damn cool! There is still plenty of goodness to be found. Maybe not as much as their once was, and some lines can be really slow in hitting retail (Marvel Universe where are you?), but there are a bunch of things I'm going to pick up this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:36 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Shellhead wrote:
We loved BTAS, but the kids loved BTAB
That's an interesting viewpoint, and the hate I see every now and then for the latter of those two always perplexes me. From what I've seen of The Brave and the Bold, I always figured the opposite would be true. I assumed that it would appeal more to diehard Batman fans than it would kids, having been based on a series from the 50's and all. Apart from the Legends of the Dark Knight episode, The Animated Series didn't hearken back to the more playful side of Batman nearly as much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:58 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Legacy wrote:
Apart from the Legends of the Dark Knight episode, The Animated Series didn't hearken back to the more playful side of Batman nearly as much.

...and that may be why kids today like BATB better, it isn't as dark. Everything these days is so doom-and-gloom I can't say that I blame them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:33 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Maybe I should have been more clear in emphasizing the nostalgic aspect of the show. Either way that's news to me, I honestly thought the Brave and the Bold flopped with almost every age group, both as a show and as a merchandising line.

And I disagree about so many shows being dark. For every Young Justice or Legend of Korra there are bound to be a cavalcade of Annoying Oranges.

Last edited by Legacy on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:37 am 
Hat Pooper

Jim_Abell wrote:
Legacy wrote:
Apart from the Legends of the Dark Knight episode, The Animated Series didn't hearken back to the more playful side of Batman nearly as much.

...and that may be why kids today like BATB better, it isn't as dark. Everything these days is so doom-and-gloom I can't say that I blame them.

Which I agree with, that's why I disliked the Nolan Batman movies, they were all dark and dank and horrible. Technically they're well done but otherwise, they just sit on the shelf and virtually never get watched. BATB is light and funny (and makes fun of Aquaman) and there's certainly a place for that. BTAS is darker, but not nearly as dark as some incarnations of Batman, good still wins in the end, and there's certainly a place for that as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 am 
Hat Pooper

My problem is that 99.999% of what was fun about collecting action figures was finding them in stores. Any idiot can just order toys online, that's just accumulating a pile of far-too-often badly made and painted plastic. It turns collecting into little more than a credit card exercise. No, I want to find it "in the wild", I want to be surprised when I find that one piece I'm looking for, it's the thrill of the hunt that makes it fun, not the acquisition. That's why, when I get a toy, I catalog it and put it away, it's no longer fun. However, between horrible case packing by Hasbro and Mattel, awful restocking rates by the major retailers, the shrinking of toy aisles, etc., you just can't go to a store with any expectations that they'll have the latest releases out, in fact, I know I have a 3-4 month minimum lag time between when a new wave is released and when it hits my local shelves. It takes them that long to burn through all of the peg warmers from the last release. Right after Christmas, traditionally, most stores just give up and don't stock the shelves at all until April or May. Where is the fun in walking into an aisle filled with empty pegs? Walmart killed the independent toy store, then reduced their action figure section to less than 1/4 of an aisle, mostly empty?

The stores and the companies have conspired together to make it no fun anymore so... I don't do it anymore. I haven't bought a single toy in over a year now and honestly, I don't know that I miss it. I miss what it used to be like, I don't really miss making the rounds and being disappointed time after time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:13 am 
Brand Manager

I can tell that collecting is a totally diferent experience here (in Brazil). I almost always have to buy my figures online from the US, paying what most of you would call absurd prices. Anyway IMO it would be hard to call it the end of days for action figure collecting when you look at the new offers from Mattel (Watchmen, Adam West Batman and more), NECA (Rambo, Aliens, E.T. and more), Hasbro (6 inch Star Wars figures!) and other companies, and dozens of figures that I'm waiting to get for decades are making it to the shelves. I'm collecting for almost 30 years, and I couldn't be happyer with my hobby right now. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:43 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I think it's mostly the death of retail action figure collecting people are mourning.

You are absolutely correct about a online, direct market action figure collecting still being awesome (if very expensive).

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:54 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Shellhead wrote:
I think it's mostly the death of retail action figure collecting people are mourning.

You are absolutely correct about a online, direct market action figure collecting still being awesome (if very expensive).

None of my figures come from retail anymore. Online is less of a hassle most of the time.