Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The toy license for the Hobbit movies has been announced...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:56 am 
Daniel Pickett

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main ... the-hobbit

In case you are not familiar with the Bridge Direct group they are the company that makes the Richard Scary toys being discussed in another thread, the Zhu-Zhu pets and the Justin Bieber dolls.

Post subject: Re: The toy license for the Hobbit movies has been announced
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:58 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

... and according to their website they will soon be getting the Power Rangers license as well?!?

Kind of a scoop there I would think.

Is this a new "player" in the world of toys?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:45 pm 
5" Scale

Alls I know is the Busytown toyline is tied as my current favorite with ThunderCats. If the Hobbit toys are this good this company COULD be a real player.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:08 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Fone Bone wrote:
Alls I know is the Busytown toyline is tied as my current favorite with ThunderCats. If the Hobbit toys are this good this company COULD be a real player.

So far they seem to be okay-- with fad toys-- and non detailed sculpts-- the Busytown line is okay-- but Im not wowed by the detail work (Officer Murphy seems very off to me)-- I think they will have a big problem when it comes to the scrutiny they will receive with a mainstream collectors figure line...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:24 am 
Tis' but a pup

Hope their better than the LOTR action figures. I would have loved to buy a few of those like Gollum and Aragon but they looked awful and deformed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:14 am 
5th Horseman

I am more interested in the size of these toys, are they going to be 4", 6", 8" or 12" figures.

I am only interested in these if they are going to be 4" scale, well sculpted and well painted.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:02 am 
We're going streaking!

This means I better unload all of my Toy Biz LOTR figures NOW! Which I have been planning to do for a while now...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:30 pm 
5" Scale

TRDouble wrote:
This means I better unload all of my Toy Biz LOTR figures NOW! Which I have been planning to do for a while now...

Seriously? Before you even see them, much less own them? Don't you think that is a risk that has zero payoff? I don't understand collectors who get rid of their collections when the toyline ends and I certainly don't understand collectors who do it before they even know which figures are in the replacement line or how easy they will be to find. Collectors can be their own worst enemy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:58 pm 
We're going streaking!

Fone Bone wrote:
TRDouble wrote:

Seriously? Before you even see them, much less own them? Don't you think that is a risk that has zero payoff? I don't understand collectors who get rid of their collections when the toyline ends and I certainly don't understand collectors who do it before they even know which figures are in the replacement line or how easy they will be to find. Collectors can be their own worst enemy.

Hmm. And what do they say about those who assume?

First, who says I plan to collect the new Hobbit toys? That's your first mistake. But, I will humor you anyway, because I am in a somewhat good mood...

Long ago, when Toy Biz had the license for LOTR, I collected the line as one of my main lines. I had them all, but I never really had the room for all of them. Still, I had most of the Fellowship figures displayed on the top part of a shelf, the rest would get put into a box until I could one day build my ultimate LOTR display.

While working on my back roof, right above my toy shelves, my father-in-law and his brother-in-law managed to hit the roof so hard that it knocked my hanging light out of the ceiling and onto my LOTR display. I was devastated as it took me a long time to get the setup just right. And I never got the will or desire to set the display back up. Loved the figures overall, but I realized that, along with MOTU 2002, which *I* had taken down, I was never going to put these back on display. So, I sold all of my MOC figures, mostly from The Two Towers and The Return of the King. All that was left was a set of the Fellowship and my four Burger King Uruk Hai soldiers, which I planned to keep, a few carded and boxed figures and my loose figures that I once had on display. Which I wanted to get rid of and many Decembers, I had planned to do so, but never found the time to take pictures of, to decide how to list them on eBay, etc. So for years, they sat. Until about three weeks ago, when I finally pulled them out to photograph while watching The Bills come back and beat Da Raiders because I just have too much crap.

Now, with new figures coming out and any lingering interest in the Toy Biz line probably on its' last legs, I figure I better get off my butt and finally get rid of these before a new line, possibly a new scale makes my figures completely obsolete. Either way, I haven't wanted them in years and I could use the space.

Now. Addressing you and your comments. It's collectors... no, people like you, always jumping the gun with comments, opinions and judging other people when they have no clue about what is really behind things or what is actually going on. Nope, you just assume things, jump to conclusions, make your little proclamations and in the end, make yourself look like... You may not understand the type of collector you so eloquently describe, but *I* understand your type and you are definitely your own worst enemy.

Next time, if you really are curious, or you really don't understand, but want to? Try asking a (non-rhetorical) question instead of... whatever you call what you posted.

Sorry, mods!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:17 pm 
5" Scale

TRDouble wrote:
Hmm. And what do they say about those who assume?

First, who says I plan to collect the new Hobbit toys? That's your first mistake. But, I will humor you anyway, because I am in a somewhat good mood...

Long ago, when Toy Biz had the license for LOTR, I collected the line as one of my main lines. I had them all, but I never really had the room for all of them. Still, I had most of the Fellowship figures displayed on the top part of a shelf, the rest would get put into a box until I could one day build my ultimate LOTR display.

While working on my back roof, right above my toy shelves, my father-in-law and his brother-in-law managed to hit the roof so hard that it knocked my hanging light out of the ceiling and onto my LOTR display. I was devastated as it took me a long time to get the setup just right. And I never got the will or desire to set the display back up. Loved the figures overall, but I realized that, along with MOTU 2002, which *I* had taken down, I was never going to put these back on display. So, I sold all of my MOC figures, mostly from The Two Towers and The Return of the King. All that was left was a set of the Fellowship and my four Burger King Uruk Hai soldiers, which I planned to keep, a few carded and boxed figures and my loose figures that I once had on display. Which I wanted to get rid of and many Decembers, I had planned to do so, but never found the time to take pictures of, to decide how to list them on eBay, etc. So for years, they sat. Until about three weeks ago, when I finally pulled them out to photograph while watching The Bills come back and beat Da Raiders because I just have too much crap.

Now, with new figures coming out and any lingering interest in the Toy Biz line probably on its' last legs, I figure I better get off my butt and finally get rid of these before a new line, possibly a new scale makes my figures completely obsolete. Either way, I haven't wanted them in years and I could use the space.

Now. Addressing you and your comments. It's collectors... no, people like you, always jumping the gun with comments, opinions and judging other people when they have no clue about what is really behind things or what is actually going on. Nope, you just assume things, jump to conclusions, make your little proclamations and in the end, make yourself look like... You may not understand the type of collector you so eloquently describe, but *I* understand your type and you are definitely your own worst enemy.

Next time, if you really are curious, or you really don't understand, but want to? Try asking a (non-rhetorical) question instead of... whatever you call what you posted.

Sorry, mods!!!

Wow, you REALLY took my comment personally. I honestly wasn't trying to offend but I won't give you one of those weasel "If You Were Offended" apologies either. I straight up completely apologize and was wrong and I'm sorry for that. But my comment was more for collectors in general and really not intended to be personal. You wouldn't be the first person I've heard of who sold off figures way too early (see people who sold off their JLU Hawks because he was coming with Volcana) and I was commenting on the phenomena and not you personally. You're right. I don't know anything about most people on the internet but that cuts both ways. You assumed because of my comment I was attacking you and being trollish when that was the furthest thing from my intention. What you said was completely true. But you don't know anything about ME either so there was really no need to get mad.

Let's say I WAS a troll or an internet idiot. You can't let those people get you so mad. I'll admit, I've given harsher replies in the past to trolls than I should have but that has almost always backfired for me and I'd hate to see someone, who is apparently as thoughtful a guy as you (I always enjoy your posts) repeat my mistakes. I was wrong to assume anything and I made a mistake by lumping you into a group of a certain kind of collector. But my point about collectors who sell stuff WAAAYYYY too early was true and I only pointed it out, not because I necessarily think it's stupid, it's just that I've seen it backfire SO many times and honestly I don't understand it. I was looking for a clarification and not judging you. I'm more of a casual collector than many people on this board so sometimes I find myself curious about hard-core collector's mentalities. I shouldn't have phrased it so confrontationally though. I didn't mean it to be but rereading it I realize it was. Sorry again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:00 pm 
We're going streaking!

Like I said in the PM, I went off a bit when I didn't have to, so all is cool!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 am 
Infinite Hero

The first real images have been released!

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/?p=49547

Personally, I can't really tell if the images are of the 3-3/4" or 6" figures. Either way they look pretty good. I can't wait to see more from this line. I passed on the majority of the LOTR stuff 'cause it was 6" and I knew it would be expansive and take up SO much space. It was a hard decision, but with a few exceptions (Gandalf the White, the Hobbit 5 pack and a few others) I stuck to it.

But, I always wanted (of course) 3-3/4" figures - and, now, they're coming! Yes!

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:51 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I think I'm going to pass and just stick with the LOTR/Hobbit Legos. The places of Middle Earth are just as iconic as the characters to me.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:53 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

They look like the 6" scale versions to me. Very happy they are trying to do a 6" line that will fit with the Toy Biz LOTR figs. But there are only 6 figures being released at first in the scale. Scares me a bit. Hopefully they will sell well enough to get all the main characters in that scale.

I am afraid I will be getting all scales and lines for the new movie. Bring it on!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:00 am 
Daniel Pickett

They told me that at the con that they have a LOT more in the works that they can't reveal yet... so we'll see...