Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Geoff Beckett Indy Comic Book Action Figure Line
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:18 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Yeah... he's got an account here. Been waiting for him to show up and start on a tirade over this thread...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:51 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

Geoff's tirade is not needed, I think his past history speaks for itself.

I remember back in the days when I was an asst. editor at AFT. He didn't like one of the other reporters' Toy fair report about his little block figures (it was pretty innocuous, said something like not my cup o tea, but congrats on getting the product to market), and sent a scathing email for it to be taken down. He then threatened to sue AFT if they ever so much as published one of his press releases. I responded that although we are on firm legal ground, as press, to publish a press release, we would honor his wishes and never report in their products again.
At that point , he continued to send me press releases, and I informed him that it would constitute harassment, to send me such things under the threat if lawsuit, and to please stop. He acted like there was some mix up in his marketing department (he had employees???), and couldn't we just let bygones be bygones? We politely passed on the opportunity to report on his products. You can't threaten to sue people, the. Expect to play nice all of a sudden. He even begge to be on a few of our panels at Comicon, but since he wasn't releasing any toys, it seemed pointless. Again, we politely declined.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:48 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

While not surprising considering what I've read about the guy, that story just boggles the mind. Wow CC.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:45 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

By the way, someone named "The Valeyard" posted this in the Bleeding Cool forums, Wayyyy back in June 2012. Seriously, I need to get this guy to help me pick the ponies at Belmont:

"He could be ready to kill off Shocker Toys and let it go down in flames along with everything "Shocker" owes (such as product and money) the way Pat Lee bankrupted his Dreamwave company and created Dream Engine as a totally new company. Everything owed under Shockers name will be brushed under a bankrupt rug leaving Geoff free to shrill for money under GBJRToys. And if anyone points a finger at him, he can just say "That wasn't me. That was the owners of Shocker Toys. And they're bankrupt now. Take it up with them."

Wow, not exactly 100% correct, but pretty darn close, like 99%. I wonder how folks feel now who donated money to this person? Keep in mind, for those who aren't keeping score, he was previously booted off of other legitimate fundraising sites when they learned of his past history. Gofundme is a donation site, he never has to deliver anything to keep the $$$.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:46 am 
Daniel Pickett

Jason and I have both gotten hostile letters from fake Shocker toys lawyers in the past as well.

I think I'm most surprised by the statement that he/Geoff/GBJR toys had "good meetings with Diamond" at Toy Fair and that they "would be carrying any potential new product" after the scorched earth blasting Geoff posted about Diamond everywhere he could back in the day over the original wave.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:41 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

I'm surprised there are still collectors who don't see this stuff and run the other direction. At this point, how do you not know the story of Shocker Toys (if you're a collector and you're online)? I guess there is a reason some people are vigilant about calling him out. I'd like to see a betting site create odds for whether or not each product he promises will come out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:40 am 
Tis' but a pup

Yeah, really want a Phantom- but with the rumors that there is a new valiant comic line coming I have hope for more indy products. Does Valiant still control Gold Key merchandise? That would be sweet -Tarzan,Lone Ranger, Flash Gordon, Turok, etc....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:13 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

My understanding is they don't unfortunately. They're absolutely KILLING it story-wise with the new line of comics. But it just doesn't seem the same without Turok and Solar. And especially Magnus. :(

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Last edited by texgnome1 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:09 pm 
5" Scale

I'd definitely stir clear of this line unless it actually shows up in stores or online(actual product, not proto's). This guy is the true definition of cyber bully. He tried to get a VIP status on Art Asylum's old forum when I was a mod. He "claimed" that he was in a partnership for the Speed Racer Minimates with Digger and his company. Luckily our admin did a little investigating before we let that happen. This guy is bad news to the collecting community.