Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Cost of Buying Vintage
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:52 pm 
MINT!

Today I stopped by my local vintage toy store. I love the place b/c it is great to see the stuff I grew up with, but I usually don't shop there. I always see stuff I want but then look at the price. Today I saw a 300% mark up on some vintage transformers. 270 is way too much for an incomplete G1 Bruticus. I know that retail stores are fighting to stay afloat as online stores take half their business, but inflated pricing can't be the best way to keep the doors open. To my stores credit some things are only slightly more over priced than others, and if you ask they'll knock off a few bucks. I like the store but I rather have more money. Are all vintage toy shops like this or is it just mine?

Post subject: Re: The Cost of Buying Vintage
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:31 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Yes a lot of speciality Shops are like that. Even at toy shows some dealers want eBay prices. The thing is eBay sellers aren't even getting eBay prices. If I buy a $200 item, I would need to sell it for $230 to break even. And I'm not going to drive out of my way for to find deals I could get at home.

Last edited by Smooth on Sun May 26, 2013 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:10 pm 
3 3/4"

Its not even vintage toys. Ive just started getting Simpsons toys.I know some like Mr Burns and Smithers are a bit on the high side but regular Bart I have see people ask between 20 and 50 for it on card. That is way to much for a common figure. My local comic store is good on most things.Even hard to find figures never go for more than the cheapest ebay listing.Techna Drome complete is 100 bucks loose

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:36 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

My local vintage shop is extremely fair on their prices. Just last week I got the Marvel Legends Icons 12 inch Spider-man and Venom still sealed in box for $65 total. I don't collect Trans Formers or G.I. Joe, but he always seems to give those collectors great deals as well. He just balances his business based upon what he knows will sell quick on E-Bay versus what he can move quickly in his store and he is always willing to trade.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:09 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

There's definitely an Ebay Effect going on. The problem is, some of these store owners don't want to separate 'price it to move' from 'auction mentality pricing'.

I've seen many stores come and go because they utterly believe that they can price items inside their store at or above current fair market(Ebay) value. Chances are, if you're in a shop like that, you already have a good deal of experience with collecting vintage toys, and such pricing will simply turn that shopping experience into window shopping in a de facto toy museum. If the entire store is priced above the maximum final value of any possible auctions, then you're never going to move stock. The exception is if 'that guy' walks in, and finds(for the sake of argument) the last piece they need for their collection to be complete. maybe then, they'd pony up top dollar for that item.

Also, these store owners know this much: If they sell something under what it can normally fetch online, then people could simply come in and 'flip it', and they seem to think they're losing money. Which is complete crap, of course.

Either a store should price-to-move and be happy with that, or they should strictly sell online with an auction format and gamble that way. You cannot have it both ways with both the brick + mortar and virtual stroefronts.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:16 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

That sounds great MyncsoopsyVot. Really enjoying what you bring to the table.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:17 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Ya the only local toy store in my city is expensive also and the owner is extremly ignorant and won't move on prices. I have tried to trade stuff in for store credit but all I got was major lowballed. It's a shame