Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

When your collection starts bursting at the seams, how do you decide what to let go of?
My collection is minimal, so I don't have this issue 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Nostalgia and sentimentality are the biggest factors 38%  38%  [ 9 ]
I keep whatever looks the coolest 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
It's all about the high-end pieces 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I keep whatever saves on space 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I keep whatever creates the best representation 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
I keep anything that will make my fellow collectors jealous 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I keep whatever my wife/girlfriend/mommy lets me 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Pare down? Are you kidding? I'll just get a bigger house! 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 24
 Post subject: Paring Down Your Collection
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:56 am 
5th Horseman

As part of my personality, I go through cycles of interest. I may focus more on Jiu Jitsu for a few months. Then I might shift gears and concentrate more on fishing. And then, of course, my toy collection is always on my mind. This particular personality trait can wreak absolute havoc for a collector. This month I might be more interested in Transformers. Next month, it may be Ghostbusters. A few months after that, I might find myself on a huge DC kick. 'Round and 'round I go, and during each cycle, I generally pick something up or add to various collections related to what is piquing my interest at that particular time.

And so, it has come to pass, year after year, my collection grows and grows. Until it has become the plastic mammoth it is today. Then it happens. It happens to the best of us. We start to wonder if we have too much. We think about which collections mean the most to us. Which ones were the most difficult and costly to build? Which ones remind us of our childhood? Then, we totter on the brink of the abyss... "What could I part with?" For some, this is an easier question to answer than it is for others.

I have a pretty expansive collection which reaches out into the universes of Ghostbusters, GI Joe, TMNT, Transformers, Star Wars, Star Trek, DC, and Marvel, with the occasional outlier like Dick Tracy or Bill & Ted. Then, of course, there are collections within collections, i.e., Marvel Legends, Marvel Universe, Marvel Select, '90s Toy Biz Marvel, etc. At certain points, collectors usually have some sort of 'purging.' A way to clear out the old and make room for the new. A way to allow our collections to evolve. It's how we make them better. The thing we usually lose when our collections get out of hand is focus. Personally, I lose sight of what I am trying to accomplish with various collections. Do I want just GI Joe 25th Anniversary style? Vintage? Modern? Hasbro 12"? Sideshow? Renegades? Then comes the anxiety of parting with a collection, or even part of one. I'm not necessarily a line completis, but I am a completist in terms of representation. Far too often, I don't have sets of specific boundaries for my different collections, and I end up with an astronomical amount of items that aren't epic enough to display solo, don't really fit in with any other sub-collection, or the collection they belong to can't be completed for various reasons.

Do I keep classics or just go MP? Will I ever have a decent representation WFC/FOC? Will it scale? Do I stick with TF Prime or let it go? Do I just keep an iconic Optimus and Megatron from TF Prime? It's like a constant white noise with every single collection I have. But, I'm starting to draw lines. Creating parameters and protocols. But, I'll say this: it takes a lot of careful thought, and I am a person who generally over-analyzes everything anyway.

So, let's hear from the rest of you. When that time comes, how do you choose? How do you decide what stays and what goes? And how do you deal with the fear/pain of letting a collection go?

Last edited by HalJordanist on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Paring Down Your Collection
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:08 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

For me personally I kicked the collector bug about 8 years ago and sold most of what I owned.

Statues, busts, Transformers, GIJOE, STAR WARS, Sportspicks and everything else had to go. Part of it was to help pay for school at the time but the other part was I got tired of it. I got tired of the constant obsessive need to hunt and gather.

The only things I kept were my BTAS/JLU and associated figures from the Timmverse lines.

It came down in the end to consistency above almost anything else. Granted I loved all those other toys but they ended up being a bunch of dead weight I was dragging around behind me and it got to be a bit much, and more of a burden than anything else. With the Timmverse figures, there is a consistency that is unmatched in my eyes where figures from the start of the line match with the ones at the end and that matters to me honestly.

Sometimes toy lines evolve past themselves and you have a visually disparate collection that doesn't match up very well and lacks consistency. The Timmverse stuff has a level of consistency and I just really love the look and style more than anything else that's ever been made. Plus they take up a relatively small amount of space unlike statues and large scale figures which is nice also.

Last edited by GeekVarietyDotCom on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:09 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well when I pared down (and when you have a 40x20 collection room- thats a relative term)--- I just depends on each in particular thing-

I ditched Vintage Star Wars- for the superior Hasbro sculpts, and then POTF2 and others as the sculpting got better,
I sold off most of Toy Biz Smaller Scale- for once again superior sculpts with Legends and MU
Scale sometimes played a factor-- off went the 12" Star Wars
I then eliminated smaller lines that no longer fit me--Star Wars Epic Force, Star Wars Larger Titaniums and Transformers.
THen for my non figure collections I started to pare down, to just keep certain characters-- with that- Bobble Heads, Gentle Giant Statues and Busts, Sideshow items and others started to go.
Once I had one representation others went (a lot of McDonalds stuff went)
I dumped most Star Wars and GI Joe Vehices once I realized those werent really displayed.
Stopped Army Building and dumped about 300 Clones and Joe Figs
Ditched Some DC Direct for the DCUC--
THen Ditched even more- because I thinned out my DC shelves of the 100 different interpertations of the same character- (That was the Batman Purge)

Just last week- I closed up shop on minimates- as I got tired of them falling over and falling apart way too easily (by the way that lot is currently up on ebay :wink: )

It just goes to show that there is no real leading cause-- alot of times its usually due to just something better comes along. But I rarely get rid of 1 interpertation until I get a replacement (however the TOY BIZ purge knew no bounds -- I think I cleared out about 400-500 figures with that one)..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:01 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

You forgot none of the above. Monty Brewster is watching you.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:29 pm 
Hat Pooper

I don't sell anything, ever. I have lots of room and I'm pretty picky about what I buy in the first place so I have no need to ever shrink the collection. After all, I'm a collector, not a seller.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:41 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I used to have a big collection of Simpsons memorabilia, including a lot of household goods. But then I realized that I really just liked the figures, like the ones from KidRobot, Playmates and even Burger King. So I sold off items like keychains, soaps, books, jewelry, games, puzzles and food products.

I used to try to be a completist, but it's really hard and expensive to chase down an entire collection. So I try to cull my collections and just keep the figures that I really like. I'm doing that now with my Star Wars collection. Some of those figures are pretty awful (like the Power of the Force and Power of the Jedi figures), and I'll be happy to get rid of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:29 am 
5th Horseman

GregNYC wrote:
I'm doing that now with my Star Wars collection. Some of those figures are pretty awful (like the Power of the Force and Power of the Jedi figures), and I'll be happy to get rid of them.

I hear that! I'm in the middle of a major Star Wars purge. I'm going to keep a couple of the POTF and POTJ playsets/vehicles. I'll be keeping all my imperial troopers, also. But, anything else that's POTF or POTJ is as good as gone. I'm also parting with all of my prequel stuff (with the exception of an army of various jedi knights). The main portion of my collection will consist of Vintage Collection items from the original trilogy, and a few growing collections to fill out dioramas, such as Ewoks, Cantina, and Jabba's Palace.

I can't keep dropping serious coin because someone who appeared on screen for half a second has a figure. Especially the prequels. Half the scenes exist to sell stuff, and I'm just not going to be part of it anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:27 pm 

I am not a SW collector at all, but I have the pink chick in the silver outfit because she just looked so 50's retro I couldn't resist.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:35 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I'm happy I never got on the star wars train. I have about 20 loose vintage figures and that's it. I sold off half of my MU collection because hasbro can't complete teams. Not that the figures don't look good but because I don't a have a current theme or place to display them. Right now I'm trying to stick to vintage Batman. Super powers,corgi, mego, and whatever 1966 merch I can't pass up.

Last edited by Smooth on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:30 am 
Collector Inspector

I've hit a brick wall with my collecting so I have to figure something out. It's bursting out at the seams and we live in a very small house. I've run out of room for display and I don't want our house to look like a tacky toy museum.

Recently , I picked up four MOTUC at Big Lots and my SO was like "really you bought He-Man dolls?" so I think I'm going to have to chill out which is too bad because I had just gotten bitten by the MOTUC bug, due to the big Lots sale.

For one, I need to stop all purchases on 3.75 scale figures. It's too much. They're not display friendly. I don't even have display room for my DCIH and Marvel Universe so they just sit in boxes. Not good. So, DONE with Marvel Universe. Again, I have enough.

Star Wars-I only really started with The Vintage Collection but I've reached my limit. I probably have 200 figures and some ships but I need to stop. There's nothing in this scale I'm dying for this year anyway, except for Vizam, maybe.
I ended up buying the whole first wave of 6 inch Black series and i feel kinda bad about it, but they looked so good. I'm going to get the 2nd wave but I'm going to stop "collecting" after that. I'm just going to wait for C3-PO, Vader and maybe Chewbacca after that. I might get another Luke and Leia but Lando, bounty Hunters, supporting characters and Prequel? Ahhh, no no no, I can't. Can't do it.

DC- I need to stop with the 6 inch figures. In all , I probably have over 200 6-inch DC figures. The real test will be Huntress. I've been wanting that figure all year. And I wanted to pick up a He-Man and Skeletor since I got bit by the MOTUC bug. But I just can't justify another big box of action figures arriving to the house so I might have to step down and let these figures go.

Funds are a little tight so, although I don't need to pare down at the moment , I just need to stop and re-evaluate. Mostly because of space but also because i feel like I have enough. Good thing I was never bitten by the Marvel Legends and Transformers collecting bug.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:09 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

funtime3 wrote:
I've hit a brick wall with my collecting so I have to figure something out. It's bursting out at the seams and we live in a very small house. I've run out of room for display and I don't want our house to look like a tacky toy museum.

DC- I need to stop with the 6 inch figures. In all , I probably have over 200 6-inch DC figures. The real test will be Huntress. I've been wanting that figure all year. And I wanted to pick up a He-Man and Skeletor since I got bit by the MOTUC bug. But I just can't justify another big box of action figures arriving to the house so I might have to step down and let these figures go.
Funds are a little tight so, although I don't need to pare down at the moment , I just need to stop and re-evaluate. Mostly because of space but also because i feel like I have enough.

Agreed on most accounts. Nobody wins collecting Star wars , I just sold some loose vintage on eBay dirt cheap, 1980 store retail cheap. I have zero interest in motu but I picked up Megator at big lots. it's hard to go cold turkey completely but you gotta pick your battles if you buy something you have to sell something otherwise it stacks up. I'm doing ok as far as room goes but I have some 1:18 movie cars in boxes that I have no intention of displaying anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:51 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I have just got back into collecting action figures. I went through my collection that I have which I stopped collecting about 6 years ago. I basically went through it and took out all the "statue" style figures and anything that didn't trigger some sort of nostalgic memory. I was surprised how much all the music related figures (Mcfarlane and Knucklebonz) I had meant nothing to me. Also all the UFC/MMA have to go,regardless of what they were worth, some rarer ones like platinum UFC 100 Chuck Liddell and HAO Mirko Crocop just don't don't do it for me anymore. I used to buy a figure for stuff I liked but now that's just not what I'm into. All about the nostalgia for me. I still buy new lines but only the ones that are based on something I love that's older (1969 Mattel Batman line or something like the Hobbit figures that I will enjoy 10 years from now )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:58 pm 

I have some McF figures, could do without them. He should have stuck to drawing comics. I got them with the playsets off Ebay. Only wanted the playsets.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:18 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I've pared my collections down to G1 Transformers/Generations and Masters of the Universe Classics.

I may have the space for one more line, preferably, a Star Trek or Thundercats line :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:38 am 
Santos L. Halper

I'm really picky to begin with, so I'll think about an item and think about it and think some more. I only pull the trigger on something if I've really thought it through and decide I've just really got to have it.

Often times, I'll see a new item on Ebay, for example. I'll save it in my wish list, and after a few days of looking and thinking about it, I'll realize it's not something that I'm truly interested in. The initial excietment fades away and I realize it's not really something I want. Then I let it go and I didn't have to waste money on it. If I pull the trigger right away, more often then not, it'll turn into something I won't be passionate about down the line.

I've let go of my fair share of pieces too, though - mostly statues. I just got tired of them. Lots of pieces that I had I just didn't have the space to display them, so they were just sitting in the attic. Decieded to sell them off and keep the pieces that I was really passionate about and actually displaying in my office.