Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The state of the stores
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:38 am 
Resin

You know, while I've been getting as much of a charge as anyone out of the toy news coming out of ComiCon, I cannot help but wonder how much of it will see the light of day at retail -- or even be manufactured as such.

It's been getting very discouraging lately to visit either Walmart or Target, the two largest retailers for -- well, just about everything.

The Target closest to me has been clearancing practically everything in their action figure section. No line has been immune. They got rid of Halo and Ben 10 months ago. I've seen clearances on G.I. Joe, Transformers, Power Rangers, WWE, Star Wars, Toy Story, Iron Man, Spider-Man, DC Unlimited -- heck, they're even clearancing some of their own Justice League stuff.

Can we seriously expect them to stock new waves of some of these lines? I don't know if the casualty rate is this serious in the rest of the toy department, and I know that Target tends to be ruthless with their clearances, but this is ridiculous.

The Walmart near me -- the last time I saw any new action figures in there was when they got a smattering of Man of Steel product, and a couple of new Iron Man 3 Assemblers. Other than that -- nothing.

I don't believe any of the major toymakers -- Mattel, Hasbro, Bandai, or anyone else -- can really manufacture major action figure lines without the support of the retailers. Lines such as Masters of the Universe and the DC Signature Series are resounding exceptions to that rule. I don't think a toy company would be prepared to carry on with a line if the only ones buying were a handful of online retailers like BBTS or EntertainmentEarth. And on a personal note, I don't like having to mail order my toys if I can help it.

We can enjoy all the news and previews coming out of ComiCon. It would be nice if we could be assured that we'd actually see most of this product in the stores. But I look at, say, Hasbro's plans for Marvel Universe and Marvel Legends, and I really wonder if they'll see the light of day. G.I. Joe's 50th Anniversary is next year, and I wonder if he'll be AWOL. 1960's Batmania seems to be all over the place, but will Mattel's planned line be in the stores?

I know it's not the 80's anymore, but still -- I'm deeply concerned.

Post subject: Re: The state of the stores
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:01 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

The Target drones have told me that they're just prepping for a major reset at the end of August.
Time will tell, I suppose.
But I agree with you. Considering we never got Blade or Dani, and will probably never get the other She Hulk or Sentry, I'm concerned as well. And Marvel Universe has been very hit or miss this year. 2013 just hasn't been a great year for action figures.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:00 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Shellhead wrote:
2013 just hasn't been a great year for action figures.

2013 has been sucktastic for action figures.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:24 am 
Resin

Another thought, just as an example. The upcoming Wolverine movie. I've seen a small smattering of 4" figures, which tend to be more comic-based. I have, however, heard about and seen pictures of a Marvel Legends scale Wolverine line, that is apparently a Previews exclusive.

Does anyone really think that line was always intended as a Previews Exclusive? Or did the retailers just decide they didn't want it, perhaps after it had already started production?

This is my fear. Tons of cool stuff in the works, but if the stores aren't interested, it's not likely to happen, because the collectors' market and online outlets just can't sustain it. :( :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:04 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I wouldn't worry too much. Right now retailers are focusing on back to school sales. Toys are gonna take a back seat to that.

Late August sounds like a good time to restock. I'd wait until that happens before you get a real sense of how bad it is.

However, I do agree that this year really hasn't seen much great product. I blame it partially on lack of toys for movies. If you think about it the big movies had very little toy product (IM3, MoS) or none (Star Trek).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:20 am 
ABS

Can't get anything at the Target near me. It's not worth making a trip anymore. As for Walmart, they've been bad for a few years now, around my area anyway. Hopefully this reset will happen. But not counting on it though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:43 am 

None of my Targets have done their major revamp yet. A couple of the drones told me it was coming at the end of the month.
Really hoping for new Legends and the larger SW Black series.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:44 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I stopped at one locallaly- they had reset everything up through the playskool aisle--and had stopped short of the Action figure aisle-- figures

Although I need that new SW Lego display case-- so many glorious mini figures..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:05 pm 

One of mine revamped finally, but they didn't add much in the way of new toys. A couple Star Wars figures and a lot of the stuff that was already there just rearranged.
GI Joe had disappeared, though. Thankfully, MU and Legends still had pegs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:40 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Most of the continuing lines seem to be so simplified, dumbed down and overpriced anymore that I think they are digging their own graves. It will be interesting to see how the shelves look next year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:46 pm 
Resin

Deckard, you have an excellent point.

And the recent Target reset doesn't inspire me with much confidence. G.I. Joe - gone. No sign of Halo, Ben 10, or a couple of other lines I enjoy. The low-articulated Star Wars figures are of no interest to me, and the only Transformers I'd want are the Generations line, which seem in short supply.

I hate the idea of resorting to mail order for anything interesting...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:22 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Hasbro's retail lines are the ones that give me the most cause for concern. Especially since Mattel makes absolutely nothing that I want anymore with DCUC and Young Justice gone. I haven't seen any new Star Wars, GI Joe, MU or ML since March/April.

The thrill of the hunt is a thing of the past...

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:46 pm 
Hat Pooper

And that's really why I'm pretty much done with collecting action figures. It was never a credit card exercise, just buying things online because it was quick and easy, the thrill of the hunt was all that mattered to me because it actually made collecting fun. But that's gone and worse, neither Mattel nor Hasbro are even making anything that I want to buy, at a price I consider worth paying for what I get. I could see if they were making high-quality figures that cost an arm and a leg, costs go up, I accept that, but they're making utter crap, bad sculpts, awful paint, horrible packaging, characters I don't want, or worse yet, the same characters over and over and over again, and they want me to pay through the nose for the privilege, even when they can't get them onto store shelves?

Not just no, but hell no.

They can come back when they're making good toys again but I don't expect that to ever happen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:00 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

alcinde4 wrote:
The thrill of the hunt is a thing of the past...

That's how I feel. I get most of my figures online these days. The Targets in this area have no Marvel Universe, GI Joe, Star Wars, and about the only Transformers are Prime and the first wave from War For Cybertron.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:49 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I haven't collected in 10 years. But now that I'm back into it I was very surprised to see how much is actually on the shelves at TRU and Target ( Canada ). I was expecting way more but for figures there was very few lines and even less of each character. ( example had 5 Batman figures but all the same )

Really sucks to see this but I did realize that there was tons of Lego and Skylanders....