Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: It's the Business of toys
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:50 pm 
Fugitive Dust

A thread to talk about the business of toy design and production.

Post subject: Re: It's the Business of toys
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:50 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Spin Master Acquires 112-Year-Old Toy Company

Quote:
TORONTO - Spin Master has acquired the 112-year-old toy company, Meccano (known as Erector in the U.S.), to further expand its global portfolio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:57 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Is this a thread specifically for professional toy producers or can persons like myself with our own business producing custom kits and toys get involved?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:26 pm 
Fugitive Dust

I'm a fan of knowing how something I enjoy got to be. I wanted a place to discuss the business side of this industry and not clutter a dozen threads with PR statements and factory contracts. If you have something you think is relevant please post it. The more one knows about how the industry works the better prepared you are to pick up the new items or bid on older stuff to fill out your collection.

The post above should let those interested in Erector know that there will be right turns or even U turns ahead as a new management team takes over.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:28 am 
Fugitive Dust

Quote:
Voting Open for Toy Industry Hall of Fame 2014 Inductees

NEW YORK - The Toy Industry Association (TIA) officially opened the vote for the latest inductees into the Toy Industry Hall of Fame.

Voting started August 19th and will run through Friday, September 13th. This year's candidates were chosen from 24 nominees, who were submitted for consideration by members of the Hall of Fame (HOF) Committee.

Living candidates for Induction into the Toy Industry Hall of Fame include: Jill Barad, former CEO, Mattel; Horst Brandst├Ątter, president and sole owner; Playmobil/geobra Brandst├Ątter GmbH & Co. KG; Thomas Chan, chairman and CEO; Playmates Toys Inc.; Joel Glickman, founder, K'Nex Brands; and Bruce Raiffe, president, Gund, a division of Enesco.

Candidates for posthumous induction are Jack Friedman, former chairman, CEO and co-founder, JakksPacific; Harvey Greenfield, hairman of the board, Commonwealth Toy & Novelty Co. Inc.; and Arthur "Spud" Melin and Richard Knerr, co-founders of Wham-O Toy.

An announcement of the 2014 inductees will be made in conjunction with promotion of the annual Toy of the Year (TOTY) awards program, and inductees will be honored during the TOTY Awards ceremony on Saturday evening, February 15, 2014, at the Grand Hyatt hotel, which will officially launch Toy Fair Week in New York City.

This is the 29th year for TIA Hall of Fame and here is a list of past inductees I still say the TIA is an Old Boys Club with their heads still stuck in the last century but they are spending a LOT of money to create a permanent home for the HoF and the Toy of the Year awards at the Strong Museum of Play and I love to support the Strong.